Follow Up: Science of Harry Potter's World Display Now a Traveling Exhibition

Books
October 20, 2009, 09:25 AM

Back in 2008, TLC first told you of a special Harry Potter display, called Harry Potter’s World: Renaissance Science, Magic, and Medicine which "explores Harry Potter’s world, its roots in Renaissance science, and the ethical questions that affected not only the wizards of Harry Potter, but also the historical thinkers featured in the series.” In conjunction with the ALA, three copies of the exhibition are now traveling to various libraries and universities all across the US, with the first of the venues now open to the public in Charleston, IL, Lewisville, TX and New Britain, CT. Many more stops are planned through 2012, with the full schedule now available at this link. Update: Thanks to author Travis Prinzi (thehogshead.org) and reader Jan who let us know there are some dates missing from the schedule, with more available here

This exhibition has some fascinating background and insight on 'real life' things as well as the magical contained within the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling such as Potions, Herbology, Fantastic Beasts, Magical Creatures, and much more. We also encourage you to check out these links (online activities, higher education, middle &high school lesson plans & discussion topics) for additional material. Enjoy!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Jacques_tati_hulot1_thumb

Sound very nice. I wish i could visit it but living in Europe doesn’t help.

Posted by Mr. Brightside on October 20, 2009, 03:37 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

Awesome. Too bad I don’t live in the USA

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on October 20, 2009, 03:42 PM report to moderator
Normal_dh_stills_0001_thumb

this actually sounds really cool. hopefully it’ll come to chicago or better yet milwaukee!

Posted by HPandtheDA007 on October 20, 2009, 03:51 PM report to moderator
A_tom_felton_july_23_2011b_thumb

That’s what’s at my school library right now! I have to make it over there before it’s gone!

Posted by HollyLime on October 20, 2009, 03:53 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

Looks fanciting!

Posted by The Nerd on October 20, 2009, 04:43 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

cool! i went to the other one so this should be great as well!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on October 20, 2009, 05:02 PM report to moderator
T7281169_thumb

i wanna go to the san diego one but thats not till 2012 sigh

Posted by lilginnythatlostherjumper on October 20, 2009, 06:19 PM report to moderator

Flagstaff here we come! Too bad it couldn’t be amking a stop in Phoenix.

Posted by Noble Birth Descending on October 20, 2009, 07:13 PM report to moderator
Lunagreen_thumb

WooT! I am jumping up and down inside b/c it is actually going to be at two libraries within an hour or two from me! yaya! we never get anything good :) I have to wait till May and/or September 2010 tho. I may just go to both! :)

Posted by Flora Lovegood {<3WBM<3} on October 21, 2009, 12:10 AM report to moderator
Diagon_thumb

Ooooh, sounds really interesting actually :) i like all the background knowledge behind the series, things that Jo found out and that link to the series :)

Posted by Sigourney♥ on October 21, 2009, 01:42 AM report to moderator
Photo_41_thumb

that is so cool!

Posted by rebel on October 21, 2009, 01:47 AM report to moderator
Amelie_by_yishui_thumb

OMG!! it’s at my hometown already. brb going to see them!

Posted by RAzzLe on October 21, 2009, 01:48 AM report to moderator
Me_desirable_1_thumb

Sounds interesting, I’ll be checking it out when it comes to my local area!

Posted by paul_hp_fan [OoM2] *ROAR* on October 21, 2009, 02:12 AM report to moderator
Bokorm_-p_thumb

Aw! I wanna go. Wish I live in the US right about now.

Posted by Lisbry on October 21, 2009, 02:17 AM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

very cool, there are a few florida stops, but the one by me isn’t til summer 2011…that’s kinda crazy! lol i wrote down all the fl stops anyways, you never know where you’ll be by then

Posted by levi-OH-sa, not levio-SA [neville♥myhero] on October 21, 2009, 02:40 AM report to moderator

"My dear, you were undoubtedly stimulated by the extraordinary clairvoyant vibrations of my room!" said Professor Trelawney. "If you leave now, you may lose the opportunity to see further than you have ever --"[br]"I don't want to see anything except a he