John Williams to Lead CSO in Performance of Harry Potter Music Next Month

Music
October 24, 2009, 09:34 PM

Attention music fans! The Chicago Symphony Orchestra will be hosting a special music event this Thanksgiving weekend as they present a John Williams Movie Music Spectacular. The legendary composer will be leading the Chicago Symphony Orchestra as they perform a grand suite of some of his wonderful music heard in the Harry Potter films. An additional treat is in store as there will also be a tribute to the films of David Lean, with a performance of what is regarded as some of the most memorable music written for film, including Blithe Spirit, The Bridge on the River Kwai, A Passage to India, Oliver Twist, Dr. Zhivago and Lawrence of Arabia. There will be two performances over the holiday weekend, one Saturday, November 28th at 8:00 pm  and then again Sunday, November 29th at 3:00 pm, with tickets now available at this link.
Thanks much Phoenix!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Music News

Morse_telegrapher_thumb

Nice post, Sue. I wish we could find out if there will be more venues for this music. I live in central Florida and we have several excellent symphony orchestras.

I still have my fingers crossed that John Williams will do the music for the DH movies. He has stated publicly that he would like to do them.
Posted by Phoenix1946 on October 25, 2009, 03:26 PM report to moderator
Wicca_thumb

And now I need to move to Chicago.

Posted by Brosia, OoM 2 [WBM] on October 25, 2009, 04:43 PM report to moderator
Rachchloe_thumb

I just got my tickets on the main floor on Saturday night. Thanks for posting this I would never have known… And Thanks Dad! For going with me and buying the tickets because I could never have afforded them!!!

Posted by Rachezee on October 25, 2009, 04:45 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

Sounds cool! But I agree with a few others… John Williams is an amazing composre but I’m not sure he’ll be able to compose new music for DH. I really wish Hooper was coming back really.

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on October 25, 2009, 08:41 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

whoa that’s cool, go John Williams!

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on October 26, 2009, 03:51 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Hope he comes back for DH!!!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on October 26, 2009, 04:47 AM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

john william’s is my homeboy

Posted by DesQueJteVois on October 26, 2009, 05:39 AM report to moderator

I hope he doesn’t do DH, the music from SS and CoS was horrible in my opinion even some from prisoner of askaban was pretty bad, and his style wouldn’t match the deep dark music DH should have.

Just my opinion, but if he could pull it off then I’ll be happy.

Posted by Vaporage on October 26, 2009, 05:54 AM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

awesome!!!! ill be in chicago for thanksgiving so its perfect!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on October 26, 2009, 07:21 AM report to moderator

I think he is for sure composing Part 2, not sure about part 1

Posted by madman1277 on October 26, 2009, 08:44 AM report to moderator
Wicca_thumb

Now I just need to get to Chicago.

Posted by Brosia, OoM 2 [WBM] on October 26, 2009, 08:47 AM report to moderator
P1010036_thumb

I so hope that John Williams scores the last two movies. He will do an excellant job. When you listen to his sound track you know exactly where in the movie/story line you are. It was just not the same with the other composers . Just not in the same caliber with John Williams. Keeping my fingers crossed. I wish I could go to Chicago to see it.

Posted by Tonks1OoM4,CW[ROAR] on October 26, 2009, 11:50 AM report to moderator

Dear Rotfang07 (and friends)
Did you even listen to the PoA soundtrack? Nuance? Subtlety? In spades! The first 2 movies were lighter and more adventurous because the first two books were! The last 2 composers merely built on the wonderful foundation that HE laid. And if you want to hear even more heart-wrenching but quiet music, try “Shindler’s List”!

Posted by mkm on October 26, 2009, 01:15 PM report to moderator

Thank you for posting this! Just purchased tickets for the family.

Posted by ifan on October 26, 2009, 04:09 PM report to moderator
Normal_fredjorgeweasley_scarpotter_thumb

I love John Williams I wish I could go!

Posted by Slytherin Princess ^hiss^ on October 26, 2009, 11:33 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"YOU'RE PATHETIC!" Harry yelled. "JUST BECAUSE THEY MADE A FOOL OF YOU AT SCHOOL YOU WON'T EVEN LISTEN --"[br]"SILENCE! I WILL NOT BE SPOKEN TO LIKE THAT!" Snape shrieked, looking madder than ever.