Director Chris Columbus Reflects on Trio and the First Two Harry Potter Films

Columbus Interviews
November 16, 2009, 06:27 PM

As part of the build up to the release of the much anticipated Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets Ultimate Edition DVDs due next month, director Chris Columbus is the subject of a new feature in the LA Times Hero Complex blog. In this article, Chris Columbus reflects back on the casting of the Trio and remarks too at how far they have come since those very early movies. Quotage of interest:

"Having done the 'Home Alone' pictures, I realized that we needed to start casting kids based on their families and the security that their families could give them at this particular time in their lives -- that was particularly the case with the "Potter" kids, who were about to become three of the most famous kids in the world," Columbus said. "So David Heyman and I made sort of a pact that we were gonna cast the families as well as the kids.  And in interviewing Dan’s family and Rupert’s family and Emma’s family, they surrounded themselves with a really solid group of people. Their parents were very supportive, their parents were there for them all the time."
...
"There wasn’t this obsession for fame," the 51-year-old director said. "It all sort of happened -- particularly with Daniel Radcliffe -- reluctantly. With  the other two kids it seemed accidentally – they weren’t expecting it.  And I think as a result of that, because they had that sense of support from us at the beginning, and from their parents throughout, they’ve really turned into terrific adults.  And that being said, they’ve also turned into terrific actors, you know. "

Debate, if you will, the quality of Columbus as a director but don't doubt for a minute his value to the franchise that is now a towering part of Hollywood history. "Boy, I’m telling you, to see them grow as actors and actually having the opportunity to see Dan in [the stage play] 'Equus'…I was just really, really impressed. It was the feeling of a proud parent."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Columbus Interviews News

018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

Am I the only one who finds it cool that this was posted today, on the 8 year anniversary that Philosopher’s Stone hit cinemas? That was a cool week, I thought of nothing but Hogwarts for that whole month, and several after it. I miss those days

Posted by KiwiMcI on November 17, 2009, 10:40 AM report to moderator
Mv5bmje0njy5mte2nv5bml5banbnxkftztywnzu4mtk1

aww…i really enjoyed the first two movies. i thought chris did a good job.
i love looking back at how little they all were!!

Posted by Beckster235 on November 17, 2009, 12:05 PM report to moderator
Image

Thats nice

Posted by magicmaniac on November 17, 2009, 12:21 PM report to moderator

I really wish Chris Columbus would have directed all of the movies. All of the films after Chamber of Secrets should have been made into two part films to allow the movie goers access to the full story and not the garbled mess that the other directors have gave to us. I can’t wait for these movies to be remade and for them to use a single director on all of the films (unfortunately, at least 20 years from now).

Posted by DustinTheWhite on November 17, 2009, 12:32 PM report to moderator
Avatars_febtagline_03_thumb

@Moose_Starr I loved the way he didn’t cut too much out and balanced everything right so it felt like you were actually at Hogwarts watching all this happening. ;)

Posted by fifi ~::~ ıɟıɟ {WBM!} {ITC!} on November 17, 2009, 01:58 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

He did a great job…

Posted by Won_Two on November 17, 2009, 03:11 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

Awww! It does amaze me how far they have come to becoming wonderful actors and wonderful people. I still watch SS and CoS in amazement at how little they were! :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on November 17, 2009, 03:11 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

So close until the end of it!! :’(

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on November 17, 2009, 04:50 PM report to moderator
Pluto_thumb

Cool interview

Posted by simos girl {WBM} ~Lemon~ on November 17, 2009, 08:18 PM report to moderator

I revere Chris Columbus for the first two HP films, which were perfect, and none of the garbled messes since then has even come close. But for those first two, the line between books and movies blurs, and I often find myself accidentally quoting from the movies instead of books – they were just that good. It was the first movie that made me an HP fan.
I personally am more excited for his adaptation of Percy Jackson than I ma for another HP film disaster. Percy Jackson is my favorite book series after HP, and the movie comes out Feb 12th, the day before my birthday. Squeee!!!!

Posted by hpboy13 on November 17, 2009, 08:41 PM report to moderator
Harrypotter5pic2_thumb

nice interview! he cast the right actors.

Posted by kyramp on November 17, 2009, 09:09 PM report to moderator
2013-07-19_113504_thumb

Those are actually two of my favorites, I feel they were always closest to the books and caught the vision of what I was reading. I think he did a marvelous job casting and I can’t imagine anyone else playing the trio.

Posted by Want to be a Weasley on November 17, 2009, 09:29 PM report to moderator
Image_thumb

I am such a huge fan of Chris Columbus! Good natured brilliance is definitley something to behold. I went on to read a bunch of those articles – interviewing the trio, and then Michael Gambon. I didn’t know he hasn’t read the series! His explanation for it makes complete sense, but I can’t help feeling disappointed.

Posted by Smitch on November 18, 2009, 12:02 AM report to moderator

8th anniversary of Harry Potter movies, today

Posted by madman1277 on November 18, 2009, 01:12 AM report to moderator

Bravo! to Chris Columbus too! for his wanting to involve the families of his young actors and his wanting to put details from the books into the films.
Loved hearing ..reading…from him after all this time…and the fact he is still following Dan,Rupert and Emma’s careers and the fact he saw Equus.

Posted by Jeannine on November 18, 2009, 01:40 AM report to moderator

"Saved Weasley's neck, haven't you?" he said to Harry. "I've never seen a worse Keeper... but then he was [i]born in a bin[/i]... Did you like my lyrics, Potter?"