MTV: Filming on Deathly Hallows Now Will Run Until June 2010

DH Film
December 10, 2009, 10:11 PM

There are several new interviews to update on tonight, as actor Tom Felton has been busy with the press during his recent trip to New York. One of those interviews has been with MTV, where Tom discusses filming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and the article points out the ongoing shoot still has a long way to go, stating that filming will now run until June. Of interest are new comments from Tom on the filming of the Battle of Hogwarts, as he stated "It's kind of cool, because this is the first time we've had so many castmembers on one set at one time, especially everyone from the evil camp and everyone from the good camp in a Western-style showdown — without revealing too much," said Felton, who plays the nefarious Draco Malfoy. "It's an amazing last scene, what we've shot of it so far. It's very exciting..."I've rarely had an opportunity to work with the evil family," he said. "I'm working with Helena Bonham Carter, who's a lovely lady and also a completely scary witch when she wants to be. I'm enjoying working with adult cast tremendously."

Earlier Tom Felton also spoke to Female First, where he again spoke of filming those dramatic Hogwarts castle battle scenes, filming at the outdoor set at Leavesden we saw earlier this year. Tom spoke about the vast amount of work that goes into making these films, as well as the detail created by those in the crew:

"So, you know when you’re making the film, obviously, we see it and you’re in these amazing settings and there’s all these places, how do you create that, how easy is it like, you know filming with green screens.

Well, it’s a mixture. If you came down to the set you may not, it’s pretty funny. Whatever is in front of the camera is obviously decently lit, heated and looks amazing, the props etc, whilst anything behind the camera is basically err, up to our own devices, lots of cables running about and lots of building materials and the rest of it.

For example we’ve been shooting outdoors at the moment and they build, basically this decrepit castle that’s all been smashed up and it’s quite incredible… so a lot of credit goes to Stuart Tozer who’s the set designer, it’s never an easy task.

They go such lengths of detail too, one example from an earlier film is when the students get books to read in the class room, and to be honest, there was no need for that book to have anything written in it, but it’s actually 122 pages of withering text that some guy’s sat down and written just to help the other kids and stuff like that, so it’s incredible the amount of detail that they go to!"

Thanks to Tom who let us all know via his Twitter he was also featured in the LA Times Ministry of Gossip blog, where he did a Q & A session. Tom spoke script readings he did with Michael Gambon and Alan Rickman before filming Half-Blood Prince:

MD: Your character takes a huge step up in "Half Blood Prince," more presence and certainly more drama. Were you nervous?

TF: I came into the film horribly nervous. Our director, David Yates, had terrific confidence in me. I had some one-on-one readings with Michael Gambon and Alan Rickman, which made me even more nervous! Draco's quite solemn in this film, so I spent most of my free time on set staring at walls. Usually in between takes we'd talk about what movie we saw last night. I had to practice feeling despondent from everyone else.

Finally be sure to check out a new video interview with Tom on ABC news here
(or here in our galleries)

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

2nd :o)….

Posted by johndeeregirl12 on December 10, 2009, 10:22 PM report to moderator
Daniel-radcliffe-06_thumb

That’s great for the cast. I’m sure they’ll treasure every spare second they can spend together.

Posted by Jenlynn709 on December 10, 2009, 10:42 PM report to moderator
Puppet_pals_yes_thumb

Seriously, come to DH equipped with a tissue box to cry about it being almost over…. I will :’(

Posted by phoenixes are in ravenclaw on December 10, 2009, 11:10 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I am positive that the extended period of filming for the seventh and eighth films will only enhance and enrich what already appear to be absolutely magical and faithful movies that will not disappoint a single fan.

Posted by Kirk on December 11, 2009, 12:26 AM report to moderator
Bokorm_-p_thumb

That was the first thought I had when I saw the title of the post, anyway. I don’t mind if they do, ‘cause I want it to be better, and then we get to hold on to the fandom for longer. But then again, I hope it’s not too long … That is of course if they decide to keep the release. But won’t things be a bit rushed then? Or maybe not, if they’re only filming the battle scenes, that doesn’t really need to be finished before the next summer. Ignore my monologue, I tend to ramble.
But I love the attention to detail they keep in the films!

Posted by Lisbry on December 11, 2009, 01:12 AM report to moderator
Normal_quilting_wizardsandwitches_characters_hogwartsstudents_harrypotter_harrysscar_jenniferofenstein_ofenjen_thumb

I love Tom Felton!! haha
The release dates shouldn’t be hugely affected. They’ve been filiming a bit of both parts, so I think that the movie people mostly have Part 1 under control. It’ll come out on time. However, Part 2 might be a different story…

Posted by uknowho on December 11, 2009, 01:43 AM report to moderator
Hp_buddyicons_caught_bellamlfy_96x96_129322477441953550_thumb

i would guess that the running times of both films would be close to 2 1/2-3 hours just because the 6th one was 2 1/2 or so and i dont think they would make two 1 1/2 hour movies if they could just make one 3 hour movie so…yeah lol

Posted by HalfBloodPrincesss (Jenna Evans) on December 11, 2009, 07:03 AM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

As long as they make these last movies amazing and true to the book, and make us all weep, I’m fine!

Posted by Christine on December 11, 2009, 07:50 AM report to moderator

This means they’ll do it even better than I thought, thank God. ;))

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on December 11, 2009, 08:04 AM report to moderator
Bellatrix_by_alicexz-d3b6ze0_thumb

wow. gotta love tom!!! i like the interviews, even though they’re nothing new… still, always good to hear from our beloved tom!!

Posted by MaggieNoise on December 11, 2009, 08:08 AM report to moderator
Hp__neville__s_patronus_by_pen_umbra_thumb

The Battle of Hogwarts sounds like it might just be FANTASTIC!!

Posted by All Was Well on December 11, 2009, 08:51 AM report to moderator
Image_thumb

The amount of detail is amazing. I am just wondering why the “withering text” would help other kids, as Tom mentioned. Does it give information about the film, or the series, or the wizarding world? I just don’t understand what he meant..

Posted by Smitch on December 11, 2009, 08:58 AM report to moderator
Dscn0187_thumb

i would love to have one of those textbooks…i’m so lame

Posted by Laura Keaton [WBM!] on December 11, 2009, 11:48 AM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

I didn’t know Tom had a cameo in that new Russell Brand movie. Can’t wait to see him

Posted by KiwiMcI on December 11, 2009, 12:10 PM report to moderator
Hp-trio-dhx_thumb

For some reason knowing that theyve extended the filming with 2 more months makes me kinda happy(i really don’t want it to end!) and if it affects the release dates,i don’t mind, as long as the films will be amazing.

Posted by xxIBelieveInNarglesxx on December 11, 2009, 12:35 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

Harry suddenly sat bolt upright on the garden bench. He had been staring absent-mindedly into the hedge -- [i]and the hedge was staring back.[/i] Two enormous green eyes had appeared among the leaves.