Snape Speaks: Video Interview with Alan Rickman on the Potions Master and Deathly Hallows

Rickman
December 11, 2009, 04:47 PM

Well this is quite a holiday treat: Rare video interviews are now online with actor Alan Rickman on his role as Professor Severus Snape in the Harry Potter film series. Mr. Rickman, who has routinely refused (in most cases, not all, but most) to speak at length about the pivotal character he portrays in the films, answered several questions at the Hudson Union Society recently about Snape. Alan confirms he has already filmed some scenes with Ralph Fiennes (Lord Voldemort) for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, but has yet to film with Dan Radcliffe (Harry). Thanks to Vimeo user Katie we can now enjoy the following:

Video One (or here )Alan Rickman on the Harry Potter series ("Incredibly well crafted").

Video Two: (or at this link)Working with the different directors on the series.

Video Three: (Update also here in our galleries) Speaks about Deathly Hallows and noted has filmed scenes with Ralph Fiennes and just the crew, and says he will be back on set shortly to film with 300 children (possibly Snape as Headmaster ?)

Many thanks to Katie and to SS for emailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Rickman News

Awesome! I want to know which Snape scenes they’re including in DH, though.

Posted by badger666 on December 13, 2009, 08:41 PM report to moderator
Fwooper1_thumb

Thank you so much for these interviews – he so rarely gives them and I inhaled every word !! He is so well-poised and thoughtful – on the one hand i totally respect his reluctance to speak about the character of Snape yet – on the other hand I am furious with him because I am dying to hear what he thinks ! His portrayal of Snape is fantastic and as I said before I do hope they give him the screentime he deserves. I am so looking forward to the scene with him and Rafe Fiennes but I don’t know whether I’ll be able to watch all the way through it … as we all know what will happen … I love, love love Alan Rickman’s acting so much !!!

Posted by siena on December 13, 2009, 11:16 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

Same old questions!

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on December 14, 2009, 12:35 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

Will watch in a sec :)

Posted by Beazy :) (Formerly: MidnightSun321 ) {!!ROAR!!} on December 14, 2009, 03:01 AM report to moderator
Closeupoftriohbp_thumb

Alan Rickman is awesome! Great actor. He is perfect as Snape. Loved him in everything he has done.

Posted by beewell on December 14, 2009, 10:37 AM report to moderator
13635_196007790588_520620588_4407705_7739899_n_thumb

I really enjoyed those! He is great to listen to.

Posted by Rosie016 on December 14, 2009, 12:58 PM report to moderator

It’s very pleasing that so many fans have taken the time and trouble to post their appreciations of Mr Rickman, and it is indeed to be hoped that the DH two-part adaptation will give him enough screentime to do him justice.

In my opinion – an adult opinion, by the way, so I might see some things differently compared with younger fans – JKR did far better with the character of Snape than she did with that of Voldemort. I regret to say – and I know that some may see this as heresy – that Voldemort comes across to me as a two-dimensional cartoon villain, whereas the Snape character has depth. In The Lord of the Rings, Professor Tolkien kept Sauron pretty much in the background, but in the HP storyline Voldemort is quite often at centre stage, and what JKR does with him doesn’t quite work for me. Just my opinion. Perhaps a little more of the “what Voldemort is thinking and feeling” perspective, such as we got in DH just after the Godric’s Hollow incident, might have been a good idea.

P.S. For dedicated Alan Rickman completists – if you ever get a chance to see the DVD of the legendary BBC 1980’s adaptation of John Le Carre’s “Smiley’s People”, a young Mr Rickman has a very small scene as a hotel clerk opposite the late Sir Alec Guiness as George Smiley. (Slightly off-topic, I know, but a quick mention can’t hurt, can it?)

Posted by SpellWraith on December 15, 2009, 10:42 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_l15yftnpua1qad5emo1_500_thumb

Gods! Alan Rickman interviews!! Finally! WHOOP!! Alan’s the best!!

Posted by Little Light ^HISS^ on December 15, 2009, 09:37 PM report to moderator
Fwooper1_thumb

Thank you for mentioning “Smiley’s People” , SpellWraith – I will check out any part played by Mr R. – be it ever so small – indeed, as another great actor once said: “There are no small parts, just small actors”. I love it how Rickman gives more depth to his few lines than all the main actors in HP put together – his “Obviously” in reply to Umbridge’s questions in OoTP is legendary. I also loved the deleted in HBP showing Rickman/Snape’s expressions – he is quite obviously as impressive without speech !!

Yes. you are right in a way about Voldemort – but the thing is probably that Rowling wished to create that mystery around him to show that no one fully understood or knew him – until the very end. Voldemort needed mystery to be what he was. Snape on the other hand was resolved – to show he was a moral person after all. I loved how he feared for his soul when Dumbledore asked this “little fovour” of him – and how he said “Lately only those I could not save!” in reply to Dumbledore’s cool: “How many people have you watched die?” I love Snape – he was certainly the most complex character Rowling created.

Posted by siena on December 18, 2009, 01:13 AM report to moderator
Fwooper1_thumb

Sorry I meant to type “Favour” of course .

Posted by siena on December 18, 2009, 01:15 AM report to moderator

Alan Rickman is a legend. Perhaps there should be a Leaky campaign for him to be knighted. SPARK. Special Petition for Alan Rickmans’ Knighthood! Anyone agree?

Posted by The Flying Lemon on December 20, 2009, 06:48 PM report to moderator
10312009016-002_thumb

We love you Alan Rickman!

Posted by sakuranbo07 on January 01, 2010, 12:23 AM report to moderator
Greathornedowl_thumb

Perfect, perfect, perfect casting! :D

Posted by PhoenixFlight [ITC!] on January 07, 2010, 04:06 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_l15yftnpua1qad5emo1_500_thumb

Go, Alan Rickman!!!

Posted by Little Light ^HISS^ on May 05, 2010, 01:05 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Well, now --" said George.[br]"-- what with Dumbledore gone --" said Fred.[br]"-- we reckon a bit of mayhem --" said George.[br]"-- is exactly what our dear new Head deserves," said Fred.