New Profile of Bonnie Wright

Wright
December 12, 2009, 07:55 PM

The Mail on Sunday has a new feature online tonight with actress Bonnie Wright. In this lengthy profile which contains several new photos, Bonnie reflects on growing up during her years with the Harry Potter series as Ginny Weasley, as well life at University, her work with fashion and much more. During the interview (more photos found here courtesy of Magical Menagerie), Bonnie speaks to the now famous kiss between Harry (Dan Radcliffe) and Ginny in Half-Blood Prince where she says:

‘The way it was done was very romantic,’ she says of that kiss. ‘Daniel [Radcliffe] and I have always been good friends, which I think worked in our favour. It’s the only love scene I’ve filmed, but I imagine if you had to do one with some random person that you had no relationship with, it would feel very strange. 'It makes the on-screen relationship make more sense – this idea that we’ve known each other, and in a sense grown up together, off-screen as well as on. Dan is so energetic and really good fun, and the way he works is extremely professional.’ My character initiates the kiss,’ she says, ‘which is great because it gives this power to girls and shows that it’s OK to be the one who makes the approach.’
As to the development of Ginny in the last film, Bonnie noted: ‘Well, it’s hard to know if what she’s seen on the screen has influenced the storyline,’ she says modestly, ‘but I’m thrilled that I’ve been given the chance to sink my teeth in and show what I can do. I felt, in the last one, as though I really got to create something worthwhile.’ And so did the critics, who lauded her breakout performance. The interview also covers her love of fashion and her involvement in the Made-by project and sums up with her thoughts on the upcoming Deathly Hallows:

‘When I read the book, I was shocked that my character had turned into something so big,’ she says.Bonnie admits to feeling wistful as the end draws near (they wrap next June). ‘We’ve been so busy filming it that there hasn’t really been time to think about the fact that this is the last one. It will be very strange when it’s over and very sad. I don’t think any of us thought about it until the recent press promotion, when people started saying,  “The end is near.” And we were, like, “It is?”  When we’re filming you forget about the millions of people waiting for it to come out. And then when you turn up at a premiere and see thousands of people, you go, “Whoa!”’

But I sense real excitement in Bonnie about leaving her alter ego Ginny Weasley behind and moving on. It’s only too easy to imagine her as a leading light in arty independent films.‘I know what Ginny would do in every situation, and relate to her because we’ve both got older brothers,’ she says. ‘But I think all of us who’ve been there from the beginning have got to the point where we want to do something different, be someone different.‘People always ask, “Is this going to be the biggest thing in your career?” And while I don’t think there’s ever been anything like Harry Potter, that’s gone on for so long and maintained its popularity, I think the answer – for me and for all of us – is that more challenging

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Wright News

Upclose_of_me_thumb

Very nice interview for Bonnie!

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on December 13, 2009, 04:10 PM report to moderator
Hp_wallpaper_10_1024x819_sm_thumb

Good article, can’t wait for the last installment

Posted by jlinhard03 on December 13, 2009, 04:25 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-stars_thumb

great interview. i’m sure bonnie will be going places after the world of harry potter.

Posted by harrygetsme on December 13, 2009, 07:18 PM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2011-08-05_at_5

it was nice to see her get a chance to really act in HBP!

Posted by Sirius17 -ROAR_ on December 13, 2009, 07:43 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix_by_alicexz-d3b6ze0_thumb

well, im not a huge fan of hers, but im looking forward to seeing her future work. shes quite an interesting and ambitious person. i like the interview, and im sure shell achieve some great things

Posted by MaggieNoise on December 13, 2009, 07:43 PM report to moderator
Image_thumb

Yeah, I’m excited to see where she will go in the world. I hope she is successful, which I’m sure she will be!

Posted by Smitch on December 13, 2009, 08:11 PM report to moderator
Earthforeverava_thumb

Very good in depth interview of Bonnie.

Posted by leigia on December 13, 2009, 11:59 PM report to moderator
_r9kau7w_thumb

yay bonnie! i love how her role has expanded over the films/books and what she has done with the character of ginny. one of my favorite characters!

Posted by Nealie Zealbie on December 14, 2009, 12:19 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

She looks gorgeous :)

Posted by Beazy :) (Formerly: MidnightSun321 ) {!!ROAR!!} on December 14, 2009, 02:20 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

very good interview and good for her for going to university!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on December 14, 2009, 02:58 AM report to moderator
Tumblr

The pictures are brilliant, Bonnie!

Posted by Newt Cauldron on December 14, 2009, 06:05 AM report to moderator
Hp__neville__s_patronus_by_pen_umbra_thumb

Um…I’m going to be brutally honest: Bonnie does not look elegant or stylish at all. She is not a model.

Posted by All Was Well on December 14, 2009, 06:27 AM report to moderator
The_golden_snitch_thumb

Cool pictures! Nice to see another side of Bonnie.

Posted by hermione97 on December 14, 2009, 07:54 AM report to moderator
All-voldemort-needs_thumb

Very interesting interview! Bonnie has definitely grown up))) She is very talented. I hope to see her in many-many films, no matter big ones or little underground films! And I like the new photos))

Posted by Pollytomat on December 14, 2009, 05:58 PM report to moderator
The_master_close_up_thumb

Very informative interview. Nice to know she’s got a firm idea of her future plans or at least the direction she’d like to go in.

Posted by vespasian68967 on December 15, 2009, 01:19 AM report to moderator

He was almost twice as tall as a normal man and at least five times as wide. He looked simply too big to be allowed, and so [i]wild[/i] -- long tangles of bushy black hair and beard hid most of his face, he had hands the size of trash can lids, and his fe

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014