Oscar Watch: Gleeson, Pattinson News

Honors/Awards
February 17, 2009, 08:40 AM

We have two pieces of news regarding Harry Potter cast members and the Oscar Awards which are to be presented this weekend.

First, actor Brendan Gleeson will receive an award at the "Oscar Wilde: Honoring The Irish in Film" special event on Thursday, February 19th. Along with actor Jonathan Rhys Myers (The Tudors) and Hylda Queally, Brendan Gleeson, who notably portrays Mad-Eye Moody in the Harry Potter films, will be acknowledged at this event which honors Irish in Film. We hope to have photos from this event which will be hosted by actresses Kate Winslet and Dana Delany, and will update when we can. Congratulations Brendan!

The second bit of news pertains to actor Robert Pattinson. MTV is reporting that Robert, who stars in the hit Twilight film series and portrayed Hufflepuff great Cedric Diggory in Goblet of Fire, will be a presenter at the Oscars this weekend. Please note: The Motion Picture Academy has not confirmed this as of yet, as apparently they are keeping the identity of all presenters at the glamorous award show this year a secret. Once there is an official confirmation, we will update. As readers will recall, a short clip from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is also due to air during the Oscars, which will be seen this Sunday, February 22 on ABC starting at 8pm.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Honors/Awards News

Rob_pattinson_in_london_thumb

I think its awesome that Robert Pattinson is presenting an oscar. I’m so going to watch the oscars!!! Robert Pattinson is so hot and a good actor.

Posted by luvcedricdiggory8684 on February 17, 2009, 11:48 AM report to moderator
Moodysdobby_thumb

I just love Mr. Gleeson! Rob and HBP the same night! Heaven! :P

Posted by Moody One ♥ROAR♥ on February 17, 2009, 11:53 AM report to moderator
Ukrain_cover_sm2_thumb

Why would they ask Robert Patterson to present at the Oscars???? Sorry, but I just dont think he’s the caliber of actor that should be chosen to be a presenter. He hasnt “earned the right” to be there yet. Please…. he’s not that great of an actor, and Twilight wasnt that great of a movie. Give him a few years to hone his craft, and we’ll see.

Posted by heartless_wench on February 17, 2009, 11:54 AM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

yay! rob is dreamy!!

Posted by levi-OH-sa, not levio-SA [neville♥myhero] on February 17, 2009, 11:55 AM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

i don’t think twilight is up for an oscar there genius…but he is allowed to present awards to others

Posted by levi-OH-sa, not levio-SA [neville♥myhero] on February 17, 2009, 11:56 AM report to moderator
Becky_thumb

Congrats to Brendan, that’s great! And it certainly wouldn’t surprise me if Robert Pattinson was asked to present an Oscar.

Posted by The Silver Doe on February 17, 2009, 11:57 AM report to moderator
67_richardoud_thumb

Congratulations Gleeson!

Posted by Noella_Mansrot [Raven] {WBM} on February 17, 2009, 12:03 PM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb

Congrats to Gleeson. I hope Robert at least takes a shower for the ceremony. Also…why is he allowed to present, aren’t there more important people in the entertainment industry who could present?

Posted by GF_of_Seamus on February 17, 2009, 12:07 PM report to moderator
N1439614491_169156_6488_thumb

I think the Oscars are trying to get more viewers after last years ratings. Having a HP clip and Robert Pattison presenting is a great way to get people to watch, and that includes myself = )

Posted by Melissa Anne on February 17, 2009, 12:07 PM report to moderator

ooo im excited for this new clip of hbp!!! thats cool robert might be presenting an award too!

Posted by padfoot84sb on February 17, 2009, 01:02 PM report to moderator

both Dumbledores are Irish, Mr Gambon and Mr Harris, and are both quite accomplished. I wonder if they will be mentioned as well.

Posted by free the elves {ROAR} on February 17, 2009, 01:02 PM report to moderator

The Oscars are going out of their way this year to get viewers. I mean with all these clips from awesome upcoming movies and supernova-stars they’ll get everyone with a TV to tune in.

Posted by Luce {ROAR!} on February 17, 2009, 01:14 PM report to moderator
Moodysdobby_thumb

Why can’t Rob present an Oscar? There have been actors with less accredited to them present one. I’ve liked him since he played Cedric. The Edward role was just a bonus for me.

Posted by Moody One ♥ROAR♥ on February 17, 2009, 01:18 PM report to moderator
Mugsp_profile_thumb

There is a difference between presenting and receiving an Oscar. I don’t see what the big deal is.

Posted by eiVega on February 17, 2009, 01:26 PM report to moderator

Congrats to Brendan Gleeson! He is so talented. If Pattinson is presenting, I hope he does something better with his hair.

Posted by hrhgnl on February 17, 2009, 01:54 PM report to moderator

"I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU'VE GOT TO SAY!" Harry roared...[br]"You will," said Dumbledore sadly. "Because you are not nearly as angry with me as you ought to be. If you are to attack me, as I know you are close to doing, I would like to have thoroughly earned