Reading of Wuthering Heights Opens in Jo's Book Nook

LeakyLounge
Posted by: Edward
February 28, 2009, 09:30 PM

Emily Brontë's classic novel Wuthering Heights has been chosen as the next book in the Leaky Lounge's non-Harry Potter Book Club.  Jo's Book Nook features discussions open to all Lounge members who wish to read a classic novel and take part in open discussions on many topics related to the novel.  This time around, the analysis of the book is accompanied with a number of other activities, including a quiz to see which character from the classic novel you'd be.  Check out what your fellow Lounge members are talking about in Jo's Book Nook today!

Enjoy!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent LeakyLounge News

Buddy_icon_2027_thumb

Ohh! I love this book! I am very excited!

Posted by Harryfan24 ROAR! on February 28, 2009, 10:17 PM report to moderator
Img_0305_thumb

I’ve been meaning to try and read this again. I read about half of it in high school, but I didn’t appreciate it and I only read what I had to to get by in class. This is a good way to get me to read it again. Excellent!

Posted by IWannaBeAWeasley on February 28, 2009, 11:33 PM report to moderator
B9ce557d1547686c_thumb

I think I’ll check it out.

Posted by ErinM {Roar} on February 28, 2009, 11:39 PM report to moderator
Sdc13192_thumb

This is great I chose to read it own my own for my book report for English.

Posted by l-u-n-a on March 01, 2009, 12:37 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

I just read this book for school in december 08. Bronte is a great writer – i dont personally like this book though. but for those of you who have not read it – READ IT – its challenging and mind boggleing and when your done you can brag about it! :)

Posted by MeglovesHP{ROAR} on March 01, 2009, 01:11 AM report to moderator
Cover_avatar_thumb

Yay! I haven’t been able to finish it yet but hopefully I will soon.

Posted by Attolia [squee!!!] on March 01, 2009, 01:28 AM report to moderator
Becky_thumb

What a great book! I’d love to reread it, but I just don’t have the time to do with with all the reading I have to do for school, and lines I have to memorize for the play I’m in. But I just read it for the second time for a class last semester, and I had a great time reading it and writing a paper on it. There are some very interesting things to talk about.

Posted by The Silver Doe on March 01, 2009, 01:41 AM report to moderator
Dh18_thumb

I read this so much for my Eng A Level I think it made my eyes bleed, I did like it though I still think big Cathy is a twat.

Posted by Daphne Blake on March 01, 2009, 04:17 AM report to moderator

Daphne Blake – True as your views of big Cathy are, you can’t use that word!! I did giggle when I read it though.

Posted by doctorlazarus on March 01, 2009, 05:17 AM report to moderator
Paolo_nutini2_thumb

oi i’m readin this book. . . . . finish upto page 2 !!!;D :P

Posted by Sidish_black6 [WBM] on March 01, 2009, 06:20 AM report to moderator
A_tom_felton_july_23_2011b_thumb

What a great book. I imagine Jo might have taken some inspiration for the Ron-Hermione matching from Catherine and Heathcliff.

Posted by HollyLime on March 01, 2009, 09:57 AM report to moderator
Dearharry_thumb

I’ve meaning to read this book for so long but always found an excuse to delay it.
Now I’m really going to read it as soon as I can

Posted by Cate★Evans [ROAR] on March 01, 2009, 11:40 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

Never read this book, maybe I’ll give it ago!

Have it sitting upstairs on my bookshelf :)

xx

Mhh, HollyLime, I rather thought that Jo may have been inspired by them for the Snape-Lily relationship. They also grew up beeing play-mates as kids and when getting older Lily got entangled with James, who Snape had as arch-enemie, a bit the same as Heathcliff and Edgar.

Posted by Eva Hedwig on March 02, 2009, 02:16 AM report to moderator

I read Wuthering Heights for school a few years ago. It’s well written, but Heathcliff and Cathy are such utterly unlikeable people that I really don’t find it romantic at all. It would be very interesting to reread with Harry Potter in mind, though. There’s actually quite a few similarities between the characters of Heathcliff and Snape, I think, both in terms of personality and even plot. Heathcliff is like a worse version of Snape because he’s not heroic at all and never does anything at all to redeem himself. Coincidentally, there’s actually a Snape/Lily song by the band Split Seven Ways called “More Myself Than I Am”, which is a famous quote from WH, which alludes to WH. Interesting, huh? I have to wonder whether Rowling had Heathcliff and Cathy in the back of her mind when she wrote “The Prince’s Tale.” Sorry, if I spoiled anything about WH. I was an English major in college and am, therefore, trained to overanalyze everything and find comparisons between all literature, lol!

Posted by badger666 on March 02, 2009, 02:25 AM report to moderator

Snape picked up the Zonko's bag.[br]"Ron gave them to me," said Harry, praying he'd get a chance to tip Ron off before Snape saw him. "He -- brought them back from Hogsmeade last time --"[br]"Indeed? And you've been carrying them around ever since? How ve

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014