Stephen King Comments on JK Rowling and Stephenie Meyer

Celebs on HP
February 03, 2009, 07:52 PM

Scores of readers let us know about a new interview with acclaimed author Stephen King, who has made some new comments regarding Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer. Speaking with USA Weekend, Mr. King compared the two authors and had some blunt things to say about the Twilight author Meyer. Quotage as follows:

Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. ... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good."

"Somebody who’s a terrific writer who’s been very, very successful is Jodi Picoult. You’ve got Dean Koontz, who can write like hell. And then sometimes he’s just awful. It varies. James Patterson is a terrible writer but he’s very very successful. People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it’s very clear that she’s writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It’s exciting and it’s thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because they’re not overtly sexual. A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that’s a shorthand for all the feelings that they’re not ready to deal with yet."

Thanks to everyone who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Celebs on HP News

Abd4_day_without_fusion_thumb

What gets me about Twilight is that it reads like it’s just a surface-book. Whereas with stories like Harry Potter, you can tell that there’s a lot below the surface that the author knows, but just isn’t telling you about. That difference definitely shows in the writing. Whether that’s “good” or “bad,” I’ll leave to other people to argue. I think it’s just a preference.

Posted by Elizabeth on February 04, 2009, 08:27 AM report to moderator
Hp-trio-dhx_thumb

haha,i always loved Stephen King ,his books are great!And now,that comment just made my day XD

Posted by xxIBelieveInNarglesxx on February 04, 2009, 08:28 AM report to moderator
3176_1148335864275_1103912219_30424142_7574358_n-3_thumb

Yay! King is for Jo! So true what he said… Twilight is just a fad… It’ll pass…

Posted by Mhæy™⌠R☺AR⌡ on February 04, 2009, 08:30 AM report to moderator
Small_wizard_rock_page_logo_thumb

Well, that’s just made me even more determined than ever not to read them!! Thank you Mr King, but then he always was one of Jo’s biggest fans.

Posted by Neil in Scotland * ROAR! * on February 04, 2009, 08:38 AM report to moderator
4persona21x-fourdaysmore_thumb

I’m rather glad that Stephen King said this. It’s good to hear that not everyone has been sucked into this whirlwind ‘romance’ that Stephenie Meyer has created.

I’ve read all 4 books in a desperate bid for hoping ‘that this would get better soon’. Wow, did I lie to myself. Granted , writing is a process, but when you crank something out riddled with forced prose and adjective abuse, of course not everyone will accept it. Also, as a writer, you should feel that you work should be able to stand on its own. No one should have to say that ‘you don’t understand my work, so you’re not getting the message.’

Bravo, Mr. King. Thank you for saying what the Anti-Twilighters have been saying for quite some time.

Posted by northernphoenix on February 04, 2009, 08:47 AM report to moderator
The_leaky_cauldron_thumb

I agree that Stephanie Meyer isn’t as good as JKR but I just think she needs a bit of practise!

Posted by JustZoe »ROAR« on February 04, 2009, 08:50 AM report to moderator
The_leaky_cauldron_thumb

Posted by JustZoe »ROAR« on February 04, 2009, 08:50 AM report to moderator
Always_thumb

Yeah i would have to agree with that. Although i absolutely love the twilight series in all fairness they are not brilliantly written, its more the concept and ideas behind it that make it so popular and why i enjoyed them so much. Jo is just a genius writer, obviously also backed up by the amazing concept. Jo all the way =]

Posted by spiritbound on February 04, 2009, 08:55 AM report to moderator

That is what I’ve been trying to tell my friends for about a year now (and I’ve read the Twilight series and all HP books), that JK Rowling created a WORLD, she created new IDEAS, she created a whole way of LIFE for WIZARDS. Stephenie Meyer stuck a few vampires (who are so ‘different’ and ‘vegetarian like’ that are barely recognizable as vampries) into the normal world and had one fall in love with a very boring, dry, character. Props to Stephen King for being truthful and not being afraid. And didn’t he almost die in a really tragic car accident? Yea, I think he can handle some fan girls…

Posted by AubNoelle on February 04, 2009, 08:56 AM report to moderator

I knew there was a reason I always admired Stephen King. Smar man.

Posted by bookmonster79 on February 04, 2009, 09:14 AM report to moderator
Photo_1_thumb

Of course she is not as good as JK, but then there are a lot of authors out there, each with their own followers. Meyer is getting kids to read, and who cares that King doesn’t like her, I would guess there are lots of people who don’t read his books either, and thinks he is a terrible writer.

Posted by JBooks CW on February 04, 2009, 09:17 AM report to moderator
Pegasus1_thumb

I agree that she “can’t write worth a darn”. There is no plot (sighing, blushing and shivering do not constitute a plot). What’s worse, it’s a darned shame that she’s encouraging thoughtless devotion and damsel-in-distressism. What’s even worse than that is the fact that she’s glorifying such superficial attractions where one must be beautiful or “god-like”. It’s like an entire series of books about Lavender Brown shmoozing over “Won-Won” for heaven’s sake.

Posted by Mom Weasley on February 04, 2009, 09:25 AM report to moderator

I don’t care for any Stephen King books (and I have read a few—my hubby is a fan) BUT I do agree with him on this point. I’ve read both series, Harry is by far my fav. My 13 year old daughter can’t get into the Harry Potter series (I’ve tried), but she loves Twilight—it has started her on the road to reading as much as I do and that is really all I want for her and if Meyer’s book is what is going to do it, so be it.

Posted by moe miron on February 04, 2009, 09:34 AM report to moderator
Longbottom_thumb

I have never really been a fan of Twilight, because I thought the story had a weird plot. It just doesn’t make any sense. I mean, who wants to hear a story about a bunch of love sick vampires running around trying to kill each other? It really has no one thing that needs to be accomplished. Take Harry Potter for instance. It has one direct goal, Kill Voldemort and save the world. Easy, right? Ok, maybe not. Hee Hee.

Posted by hpfrk736 on February 04, 2009, 09:34 AM report to moderator
Profile_thumb
2090 Points

I am a fan of both series… yes I agree, Jo’s a better writer, her story is more complex, her character developments are more profound, but I just laugh at how all worked up anti-twilighters get… It’s not a competition!!! Meyer is often being compared to Rowling, but I don’t think it’s in the writing, but more in the fact that both have had success with their series. Both have gotten young people to read. I love the Potter series because it got me to feel like a kid again, got my imagination running again, and I just couldn’t get enough. I loved the Twilight saga, because it made me feel like a teenage girl again, the first time you fall in love, when it’s all about butterflies in your stomach… I NEVER compared both series. They are COMPLETELY different. What really gets to me is reading some of these comments… Stephen King gave out his opinion, and that’s fine, I’m sure Stephenie Meyer can take the criticism and become better with practice. His comments don’t take away the fact that she’s sold many books and I am proud to be a fan of her storytelling.

Posted by KianaCP on February 04, 2009, 09:35 AM report to moderator

Ron had not asked Dumbledore to give him the prefect badge. This was not Ron's fault. Was he, Harry, Ron's best friend in the world, going to sulk because he didn't have a badge, laugh with the twins behind Ron's back, ruin this for Ron when, for the firs