Stephen King Comments on JK Rowling and Stephenie Meyer

Celebs on HP
February 03, 2009, 07:52 PM

Scores of readers let us know about a new interview with acclaimed author Stephen King, who has made some new comments regarding Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer. Speaking with USA Weekend, Mr. King compared the two authors and had some blunt things to say about the Twilight author Meyer. Quotage as follows:

Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. ... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good."

"Somebody who’s a terrific writer who’s been very, very successful is Jodi Picoult. You’ve got Dean Koontz, who can write like hell. And then sometimes he’s just awful. It varies. James Patterson is a terrible writer but he’s very very successful. People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it’s very clear that she’s writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It’s exciting and it’s thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because they’re not overtly sexual. A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that’s a shorthand for all the feelings that they’re not ready to deal with yet."

Thanks to everyone who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Celebs on HP News

29012009782_thumb

lmao
uve gotta love stephen king havent u?
lol
xx

Posted by Jamie P (herpothefoul) [WBM] on February 04, 2009, 09:43 AM report to moderator
Prophecy_thumb

I now worship the ground upon which Stephen King walks. Stephenie Meyer is an atrocious writer. She is a decent storyteller which is why her books are so popular. I read all the books and was duly horrified by what was deemed her “writing.” It’s a shame that people like Stephenie Meyer are so often miscategorized in that manner. There really is a difference between writers and storytellers. Although talents are certainly not mutually exclusive (both Ms. Rowling and Mr. King being prime examples) they also don’t automatically co-exist in the same person. If you look at the examples cited by Mr. King, I think it can be agreed that was the point he was trying to make and though his word choice was…er…interesting, his observation was completely accurate.

Posted by DeliaDee on February 04, 2009, 09:51 AM report to moderator
Pic_thumb

Stephen King is my hero of the day.

Posted by VoodooDarling on February 04, 2009, 09:58 AM report to moderator
P1010036_thumb

They were not J.K. Rowling caliber, but the story line was good. Twlight fans are not going to be happy.

Posted by Tonks1OoM4,CW[ROAR] on February 04, 2009, 09:59 AM report to moderator
72256880_5_usce_thumb

so that’s why i love twilight (A)

but he’s right, stephenie can’t write at all xD it’s just the story that’s awesome xD

Posted by McChickie on February 04, 2009, 10:02 AM report to moderator
Heather_profile_pic_thumb

BWahahaha…I love Uncle Stevie for having the gumption to say that in public. I have read all of the Twilight books and completely agree. Jo is by far the superior writer and crafts characters who are much more compelling. Hermione would have rolled her eyes and walked away the minute Edward pulled one his moody stunts. ;-)

Posted by Heather Diggory on February 04, 2009, 10:05 AM report to moderator

Wow…. The Twilight fandom will not be happy about this at all.

Posted by Heavenly_Horcrux on February 04, 2009, 10:10 AM report to moderator
Hedwig_thumb

I like Twilight… They are catchy. Like Cleolinda says in her LiveJournal: Twilight is the Twinkie I can’t stop eating even though I know it’s bad for me…

Posted by Tita on February 04, 2009, 10:12 AM report to moderator
Img_0052__risoluzione_del_desktop_

i like the twilight series a bit but its no match for Harry Potter and i dont think that stephanie myer is a good author its something about the way she writes i cant explain mabeye its because im not worried some one will die

Posted by ROAR! lilyjames on February 04, 2009, 10:19 AM report to moderator
Postejeunes4_thumb

Well, I can honestly say that ‘Twilight’ is the first book I could never finish, the writing was just too grating, too repetitive and just never drew me in enough to care. I’ve read some awful books but at least I finished them. But this…

Posted by Boy With A Lightning Scar on February 04, 2009, 10:23 AM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

truetruetruetrue. geez. you know, i read twilight. i’m reading the second one now, forgot the title. and my true reaction was “that was it? what? surely there’s more.” and nope. nothing.

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on February 04, 2009, 10:28 AM report to moderator
Stupifyavatar_thumb

Sure Meyer is a bit of a hack but her books can also be pretty entertaining too. She’s one of those character writers (she is good at that) who draws people with very vivid individuals that populate her books.

Example: I thought that second vampire book was really awful; in the too much melodrama, not enough vampires kind of way. Then my personal favorite vampire character swoops in and doesn’t exactly save the book but at least made the ending tolerable.

I think Meyer was onto something with the last Twilight book where things started taking a turn for the absurd. It wasn’t quite as absurd and funny as a Robert Rankin or Terry Pratchett book but I was glad that she started illustrating other themes in the overall story.

I think I would’ve appreciated the comments more coming from JKR or Terry Pratchett as I think King is hit or miss too.

Posted by Leif Longbottom on February 04, 2009, 10:33 AM report to moderator
Laughing_dan_thumb
2027 Points

hoooooooly cow. im dont think stephen king knew what he got into. :) okay, i dont think twilight would be hated as much as it is by potterfans if everybody would just stop comparing the two. i heard that it was the “new harry potter” so i immediately didnt like it. meyer lives soley on plot. the plot is what keeps the reader going. jo works the plot too, but she also has fantastic character devlopement, distince writing style and a great use of vocabulary and adverbs. jo is overall the much better writer.

harry potter forever1!!!!!!!

Posted by sunlitdays (ROAR) on February 04, 2009, 10:53 AM report to moderator
9164450_thumb

I don’t think this should come off as as surprise to anyone, really. Meyer herself has admitted that she’s not the greatest writer in the world. It’s just ridiculous to put her in the same league as authors like Picoult or Rowling.

Posted by mariami on February 04, 2009, 11:08 AM report to moderator

I think i love you, stephen king.

Posted by ibelieveinnargles on February 04, 2009, 11:13 AM report to moderator

"Scars can come in handy. I have one myself above my left knee that is a perfect map of the London Underground."