J.K. Rowling's The Tales of Beedle the Bard on Shortlist for British Book Award

Books
March 10, 2009, 07:08 AM

The Tales of Beedle the Bard written by Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling have been nominated this year at the Galaxy British Book Awards.  Beedle the Bard is on the shortlist for "Children's Book of the Year," along with a few others including: Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer,  Captain Underpants & the Preposterous Plight by Dav Pilkey, Artemis Foul & The Time Paradox by Eoin Colfer, Horrid Henry Robs the Bank by Francesca Simon, Dinosaurs Love Underpants by Claire Freedman & Ben Cort.

Also actress Julie Walters, who portrays Molly Weasley in the Harry Potter films, has been shortlisted in the Biography of the Year category for her book, That's Another Story.  Actress Dawn French (the Fat Lady in PoA) was also nominated in the same category, for her autobiography Dear Fatty.

Finally, UK audio book narrator Stephen Fry has been nominated in the Popular Non-Fiction category for his book, Stephen Fry in America.

Voting is now open to all online via this link, and will run until Saturday, March 28th.
The winners of the Galaxy British Book Awards will be announced Sunday, April 5, 2009 in London, England.  Congratulations to all!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

5372_224657370337_510970337_7616810_5737149_n_thumb

Woo! Go Jo :D I hope she wins… And I totally remember when all of the boys in my fifth grade class were obsessed with the Captain Underpants books. I always thought that was a strange series.

Posted by choirgeek on March 11, 2009, 08:42 PM report to moderator

I hope Beedle wins, even though I have to admit that I haven’t actually read it yet (I know, I’m a terrible fan, lol). I just hope Breaking Dawn doesn’t win. I kind of like the Twilight series in general, but BD was pretty awful, in my opinion. And I think it’s funny that Captain Underpants is on that list, although I must admit the books are pretty funny.

Posted by badger666 on March 12, 2009, 10:22 PM report to moderator
Dscf0369_thumb

A lot of HP connections this year!! Beedle has some tough competition – Go Jo!!

Posted by Minerva McGonagall on March 13, 2009, 11:55 AM report to moderator
15657683_thumb

I really hope Beedle wins over Breaking Dawn.

Go Jo, you can do it! Fingers crossed!

Posted by Cellar Door [*SQUEE!*] on March 13, 2009, 02:30 PM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

Go Jo! Hope Beedle the Bard wins. Deserves it!!

Me_and_james_going_to_school_thumb

can’t wait till they start filming this book. they could do it now.

Posted by prof mewthree "squee" on March 16, 2009, 07:57 AM report to moderator

Excellent book, I must say!!!! I hope she wins!

Posted by Rajeshwari on July 02, 2009, 10:32 AM report to moderator

"Give me your glasses, quick!"[br]He handed them to her, and as the team watched in amazement, Hermione tapped them with her wand and said, [i]"Impervius!"[/i][br]"There!" she said, handing them back to Harry. "They'll repel water!"[br]Wood looked as thou