Deathly Hallows Casting News: Ciaran Hinds to Play Aberforth Dumbledore, More on Nick Moran

DH Film
March 23, 2009, 09:49 AM

We have some more big casting news today regarding Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. TLC can report that Ciaran Hinds has been cast in the role of Aberforth Dumbledore in the final installments of the Harry Potter film series. While not yet officially confirmed with WB, we believe this to be correct. Speaking with reps for the actor, we were told expectations and hopes certainly are that Ciaran Hinds will be taking on the role of helpful Order of the Phoenix member in the final Harry Potter films. You can see photos of Ciaran Hinds here ,here and here.

A widely acclaimed actor, Ciaran Hinds has appeared in such films as Munich, There Will be Blood, Road to Perdition, Persuasion, Hallam Foe, Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, and most recently voiced a part in the film The Tale of Despereaux with Emma Watson (Hermione) and Robbie Coltrane (Hagrid). Well known to TV audiences for his appearance in the hit HBO series, Rome, Ciaran Hinds once starred in a film called The Cook The Thief His Wife & Her Lover, which also co-starred Michael Gambon, who of course portrays Albus Dumbledore, the brother of Aberforth. Please note: For those who have asked, actor Jim McManus appeared in as the "Barman" at the Hogshead in OotP, where the character of Aberforth works. As WB does not normally comment on rumors such as this casting and others, we continue to wait for a formal release confirming and addressing all the casting for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. More when we get it!

Finally, TLC has also learned that it is believed Nick Moran will be playing the part of Scabior, one of the Snatchers who works with Greyback in the events at Malfoy Manor.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Gosh, I think that, a little bit “olded”, he would be good as Aberforth. Hope they’ll put on screen the exact character.

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on March 23, 2009, 01:14 PM report to moderator
Copy_of_avatar_thumb

All right, more casting news! :D
Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day was a really good movie…I never thought about Hinds playing Aberforth, though. He’ll be great!

Posted by Professor Cassandra *~WBM~* on March 23, 2009, 01:15 PM report to moderator

Oooh – I’m pleasantly pleased with this choice :-)

Posted by inaboxofchoccs on March 23, 2009, 01:20 PM report to moderator
The_leaky_cauldron_thumb

aberforth actor has greens eyes….wonder if WB will give him contacts…?

Mind you, they have seriously messed up characvters eyes? harry’s cough cough

Posted by JustZoe »ROAR« on March 23, 2009, 01:20 PM report to moderator
Copy_of_hg_thumb

He looks alright! :)

Posted by Edza on March 23, 2009, 01:23 PM report to moderator
N8846922_43549767_6482_thumb

yay for having aberforth in the movie!! but he does look a bit young to be dumbledore’s brother..

Posted by avrenim [WBM!] on March 23, 2009, 01:25 PM report to moderator
Hp___poisonous_rose_colored_by_katima_thumb

I agree halcyon, i didn’t even think of Ciaran Hinds for Harry Potter, but now that I’ve heard, I’m thrilled! He’s a wonderful actor, and even though he’s been in so much, he’s a new favorite for me. I think, with the right makeup and hair, etc, that Ciaran will be awesome! I feel like doing a happy dance! :)

I’m also thrilled that Scabior is cast too, i think WB is really going to try and do justice for the last book. :) Cheers!

Posted by scarletti1 on March 23, 2009, 01:26 PM report to moderator
Mugsp_profile_thumb

The previous Aberforth was just an extra with no speaking lines. They have to recast once the role became larger. They’ve done this before with other characters in the movies so far. I’m not surprised to see them do it again.

Posted by eiVega on March 23, 2009, 01:41 PM report to moderator
Hagid_potterpuff_thumb

Ciaran Hinds he looks like a good fit for aberforth, as for the guy in OOTp he may only be a bit actor and not have the talent or skills for the speaking role

Posted by ravenclawguy1972 ~Prongs~ ( J.O.R.) on March 23, 2009, 01:42 PM report to moderator
Biker_old_lady4done_use_thumb

This is interesting news. It’s always easier to age an actor than make them younger. Lol Sometimes it makes no difference if the actor is good. It made no difference to me that Alan R. played a character that was much younger than he is. Lol

Posted by Cool G on March 23, 2009, 01:43 PM report to moderator
06_thumb

YAY a good casting choice! :)

Posted by silverwings [FTC!] on March 23, 2009, 01:46 PM report to moderator
Dobbyyoda_thumb

I hope this proves to be correct, he would be ideal for the role.

Posted by bookishgal,OoM3,GS on March 23, 2009, 02:07 PM report to moderator

Excellent!! Jim McManus was credited only as ‘Barman’ in OotP, although we all knew who he was meant to be. He seemed to me rather short for a Dumbledore, even before DH came out and fleshed out the character. So I am delighted at a worthy casting of the role

Andrew aka Aberforth aka wulfricbrian

Posted by WulfricBrian on March 23, 2009, 02:15 PM report to moderator
Harry_and_ginny_thumb

Oh that’s fabulous. I have been a fan of Ciaran’s for a really long time so it’s rather wonderful that he’s probably joining the long list of my favourite British actors starring in this series. But on a side note I never realised he was in The Cook, The Thief …. etc etc. I guess I’ll just have to watch it again :D

Posted by Harry's Horntail on March 23, 2009, 02:16 PM report to moderator
102_0002_thumb

I wonder if they’ll be changing his eyes to blue…

Posted by Carmenriots on March 23, 2009, 02:18 PM report to moderator

"Harry, you help yourself to anything you want, all right? No charge."[br]"I can't do that!" said Harry, who had already pulled out his money-bag to pay for the Decoy Detonators.[br]"You don't pay here," said Fred firmly, waving away Harry's gold.