Rhys Ifans to Play Xenophilius Lovegood in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
March 27, 2009, 07:39 PM

Tonight, scores of readers let us know that actor Rhys Ifans announced on the Friday Night with Jonathan Ross program broadcast this evening on the BBC that he would be appearing in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. While Mr. Ifans did not state which role he would be portraying, TLC can report that Rhys Ifans will be taking on the part of Xenophilius Lovegood, Luna's eccentric father and publisher of the Quibbler magazine. A rather fitting photo of Mr. Ifans as an elaborately garbed person can be seen here. During his appearance, TLC reader Neil writes that Rhys Ifans said  the "HP wardrobe people flew out to Spain to fit him for his robes while on the set of Mr Nice," a film which is now in post production. Rhys Ifans has appeared in many films, notably Notting Hill, Elizabeth: The Golden Age, and the soon to be released The Boat that Rocked. Update: You can now see additional photos of Rhys Ifans here in our Image Galleries. Also thanks to ComingSoon.net we can see video of his announcement via YouTube.

On a related note, UHP emailed us to let us know they spoke with agents for actress Clemence Poesy about her possible return to the part of Fleur in Deathly Hallows, however the negotiations are ongoing, and nothing is certain yet. We are working to learn more on this and will update when we can.

Please note: As with all the others, WB has not yet officially confirmed any of these casting reports, and we continue to await a formal release on these, however TLC believes the casting of Mr. Ifans as Xeno to be correct.

Thanks to SS, and especially Will, Nick, Neil, and all the readers who emailed about the Jonathan Ross announcement!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Greenavatar_thumb

Great ! I hope he’s good as Xeno

Thecave_thumb

Wow, I feel bad for the 40 something parents on this site. I guess you’re all supposed to look old and worn down…

Posted by mollywobble on March 28, 2009, 08:50 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

he looks ok.I imagined Xeno older,I don’t know why.

Posted by Matea on March 28, 2009, 09:25 AM report to moderator
Smartgirlsrule_thumb

Looks good to me. I’ve only seen him in The Golden Age, but he was just fine in that. I hope Evanna gives him lots of advice!

Posted by phoenixphire24 (ROAR!!!) on March 28, 2009, 09:29 AM report to moderator
Wands_thumb

What an inspired bit of casting!!

Posted by Percy_is_a_prat on March 28, 2009, 09:50 AM report to moderator
001_thumb

Don´t remember ever seen him act but why not:)

Posted by saffran { roar } on March 28, 2009, 09:53 AM report to moderator
0314091602_thumb

I LOVE this! This totally made my day!

Posted by bushybrownhairedknowitall on March 28, 2009, 10:01 AM report to moderator
Headshot_thumb

I don’t think I ever imagined Xeno in my head when I was reading, but I’m sure he’ll be awesome.

Posted by Lysh on March 28, 2009, 10:28 AM report to moderator

Hmmm, I’m not sure how I feel about him as Xeno. I definitely pictures him as older and more dumbledore like!

Posted by inaboxofchoccs on March 28, 2009, 10:35 AM report to moderator
Always_thumb

I think he would fit the part of Xeno very well! Yay there’s such good casting for DH!!!

Posted by SassySnitch on March 28, 2009, 10:41 AM report to moderator
Iconator_dea697cd87becd1283213b46f798b87b_thumb

Wow, that’s great news! Not really what I pictured, but he’s a god actor. He did a great job in Notting Hill…

Posted by Wendelin the Weird on March 28, 2009, 10:55 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

I reckon that Rhys as Xeno will look pretty much as if Luna could be his daughter, which I think is another plus point. I can sort of see why people may think of Bob Hoskins as a good Xeno but he really could not look as if he was related to Luna as played by Evanna Lynch. What does anyone else think about that?

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on March 28, 2009, 10:59 AM report to moderator

Superb Casting! Bravo!! WB !! He will be perfect!!

I really! like who they have been reporting casting for this film,so far.
Hope all of them prove true and we actually GET to SEE themm in the film
longer than ten seconds.

Posted by Jeannine on March 28, 2009, 11:26 AM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

Um. Yeah. Um. . . well, not how I imagined Xeno :/

Posted by BeAchL0veEr05 ☼ on March 28, 2009, 11:37 AM report to moderator
Jacques_tati_hulot1_thumb

Not how i imagine him but as long as the character is in i don’t care much.

Posted by Mr. Brightside on March 28, 2009, 12:11 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

Ron snapped. Before Malfoy knew what was happening, Ron was on top of him, wrestling him to the ground. Neville hesitated, then clambered over the back of his seat to help.