Rhys Ifans to Play Xenophilius Lovegood in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
March 27, 2009, 07:39 PM

Tonight, scores of readers let us know that actor Rhys Ifans announced on the Friday Night with Jonathan Ross program broadcast this evening on the BBC that he would be appearing in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. While Mr. Ifans did not state which role he would be portraying, TLC can report that Rhys Ifans will be taking on the part of Xenophilius Lovegood, Luna's eccentric father and publisher of the Quibbler magazine. A rather fitting photo of Mr. Ifans as an elaborately garbed person can be seen here. During his appearance, TLC reader Neil writes that Rhys Ifans said  the "HP wardrobe people flew out to Spain to fit him for his robes while on the set of Mr Nice," a film which is now in post production. Rhys Ifans has appeared in many films, notably Notting Hill, Elizabeth: The Golden Age, and the soon to be released The Boat that Rocked. Update: You can now see additional photos of Rhys Ifans here in our Image Galleries. Also thanks to ComingSoon.net we can see video of his announcement via YouTube.

On a related note, UHP emailed us to let us know they spoke with agents for actress Clemence Poesy about her possible return to the part of Fleur in Deathly Hallows, however the negotiations are ongoing, and nothing is certain yet. We are working to learn more on this and will update when we can.

Please note: As with all the others, WB has not yet officially confirmed any of these casting reports, and we continue to await a formal release on these, however TLC believes the casting of Mr. Ifans as Xeno to be correct.

Thanks to SS, and especially Will, Nick, Neil, and all the readers who emailed about the Jonathan Ross announcement!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Rupert_thumb

I’ve seen him in the other movies that he has done… I just can’t see him in the part!

Posted by Chromate {ROAR} on March 28, 2009, 12:22 PM report to moderator
Bab10_thumb

I admit I pictured Luna’s father as being older than usual for a 16 year old girl. I suppose it is for several reasons…I think JK described Xeno as having white hair, that’s one reason. Also, alot of the actors cast in the adult roles have been older than their characters so I kind of assumed the film makers would continue with that trend.

Posted by Old_gnarled_woman on March 28, 2009, 12:38 PM report to moderator
Artemis_fowl_pic_thumb

He looks perfect for the part. He seems like someone who would want to find out ranodm things like Xeno did in the books.

Posted by ~Rachel Michelle~ on March 28, 2009, 12:39 PM report to moderator
Ps014_bymusguita_thumb

I think he’ll be really good for Xeno lovegood :) But he looks quite young. I hope clemence poseyu comes back as fleur!! i

Posted by hannah abbot ;) on March 28, 2009, 12:41 PM report to moderator

It looks like we’re going to get a good Xeno!

Posted by Heavenly_Horcrux on March 28, 2009, 12:53 PM report to moderator

For those of you just looking AT him and not sure he would be a good choice.
You can’t really tell just by looking at him how good he will be
in the role.He is a superb actor I am confident he will do a spendid job of the part .He is excellent in any role he s given and fits it to a T, you’ll see,
just wait.

Posted by Jeannine on March 28, 2009, 12:54 PM report to moderator
Normal_tomriddle2_scarpotter_thumb

Not exactly what I had imagined for Xeno. Hopefully he will do the role justice. I really hope Clemence will return as Fleur. I think she was perfect as Fleur.

Posted by Huffleclaw65 on March 28, 2009, 01:31 PM report to moderator
Laurie_kins_yahoo

I think he is a good choice.

Posted by snapealicious on March 28, 2009, 01:32 PM report to moderator
Z_thumb

he’s not so bad, but i thought he had a longer beard?

Posted by chocolaterabbits on March 28, 2009, 01:34 PM report to moderator
Juliard_emily_browning_thumb

He seems okay, although I always thought Xenophilius Lovegood would be a bit less skinny and more older, but maybe because he’s supposed to have white hair.

Oh, well they might throw lots of makeup and stuff on him to make him look more like Xeno, sort of like they did for Jason Isaacs.

Posted by Hands Up For Detention With Snape on March 28, 2009, 01:42 PM report to moderator
4579_94174720317_720170317_2401105_7295224_n_thumb

yay xeno!

Posted by Caitlin [Senegal Parrot] {WBM} on March 28, 2009, 01:46 PM report to moderator
1980 Points

yay

Posted by floridianhp*ROAR* on March 28, 2009, 01:54 PM report to moderator
Me_thumb

Nice choice! I must say, I’m slightly disappointed since I imagened Xeno looking like Doc from “Back to the Future”, but that’s just my weird point of view. I’m sure he’ll be great.

I really hope that Clemence gets her role back as Fleur… she was awsome!

Posted by Dances with Dobby on March 28, 2009, 02:29 PM report to moderator
49860_1104575754_1481_n_thumb

He looks young to play Xeno, but I’ll guess they’ll work it out with makeup.

Posted by Garden State Geek on March 28, 2009, 02:30 PM report to moderator
36090_413317180969_787035969_4440390_4514136_n_thumb

I saw him, in ‘Elizabeth:The Golden Age’ and he’s a fantastic actor! Well chosen, WB!

Posted by Confederate Lady [CL, Rawwrrrr] on March 28, 2009, 04:00 PM report to moderator

"I wasn't paying attention," said Myrtle dramatically. "Peeves upset me so much I came in here and tried to [i]kill[/i] myself. Then, of course, I remembered that I'm -- that I'm --"[br]"Already dead," said Ron helpfully.