Muggle Students Play Quidditch in Wales

Fans
Posted by: Edward
April 06, 2009, 04:08 PM

Students of the Ferndale Comprehensive School in Rhondda Cynon Taf, South Wales have the added benefit of a little magic to their physical education program with the inclusion of a muggle form of Quidditch into their sports activities.  The Guardian is reporting that a version of the game is being played at the school with the "absence of broomsticks and bewitched balls, [as well as a] 'seeker,'" and is more of a "cross between dodgeball and handball."  Seven year old Keiron Port says this of the sport now being played at his school:

"Quidditch is a good fun game, it is fast and has lots of exciting moments. My favourite position has got to be the chaser, I like it because you get to score most of your team's goals."
The paper goes on to report that addition of Quidditch at the school is part of a"5x60 programme" that insures secondary school students in Wales receive at least one hour of exercise five times a week.  James Vale, a PE teacher at the Ferndale Comprehensive School, notes that the wizarding game is beneficial to the students because "players are always on the go unlike in other sports where players are sometimes not really involved in the game" due to the constant threat of bludgers.  This Welsh assembly government initiative to get children active in new and different sports began in 2006, and has been implemented in "98% of secondary schools across Wales and is expected to encompass all schools in the country by the end of the financial year."

Thanks to Tom for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

Jacques_tati_hulot1_thumb

Hmm.. i think this has been posted before.. I already know this…, for some reason. There’s also a tournament and an official website.

Posted by Mr. Brightside on April 06, 2009, 04:17 PM report to moderator
Bb0d8cadc6614c0d_thumb

That’s so cool. What does the seeker do though?

Posted by Sirius_Craic on April 06, 2009, 04:24 PM report to moderator
Jack-o-lanterns_thumb

Cool…can we play quidditch at my school??

Posted by Hermione Weasley on April 06, 2009, 04:41 PM report to moderator
Halloween_0011_thumb

Wish my gym class could do that. I’d probably consider participating more often, hehe.

Posted by emilie.hope on April 06, 2009, 04:43 PM report to moderator
4266_95379003085_554113085_2686657_2975125_n_thumb

Yeah there is a huge Qudditch league in a lot of colleges around the US, and it is so much fun to play :)

Posted by Sam H. on April 06, 2009, 04:48 PM report to moderator
Avatar_nerd_thumb

In sixth grade the other gym class in my school played Quidditch. I switched out of that class before it started. I was very dissappointed and mad at my gym teacher.

Posted by Imperiused! on April 06, 2009, 04:48 PM report to moderator
Patronus_part_2_004_thumb

that is so cool! I’m jealous.

Posted by skiving snackboxes on April 06, 2009, 04:50 PM report to moderator
15657683_thumb

That’s pretty cool.
I’d start to love PE if I played Quidditch at my school.

Posted by Cellar Door [*SQUEE!*] on April 06, 2009, 04:56 PM report to moderator

I might have actually liked gym class if we got to play quiddich.

Posted by RAB66 on April 06, 2009, 04:59 PM report to moderator
Zzz_thumb

That’s so awesome! I wish they played Quidditch at my school :)

Posted by mOOn-stArs-sUn [WBM] on April 06, 2009, 04:59 PM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

It sounds like a really fun game.

Posted by budgie on April 06, 2009, 05:02 PM report to moderator
Wgwg2_thumb
2064 Points

This is so awesome! I want to play :)

Posted by hp29 [ROAR!] on April 06, 2009, 05:08 PM report to moderator
Potterpuffsi010-vi_thumb

Wha- unfair! We need that in gym class!

Posted by siriuslysirius11 {*SQUEE*} on April 06, 2009, 05:11 PM report to moderator
Pru2_thumb
2016 Points

I think I saw this story in relation to an American school.

What I want them to invent are hoover boards and a robotic flying snitch – them we’ll see what fun can be had!!!

Posted by JustSuperMione on April 06, 2009, 05:27 PM report to moderator
Playermodel

i wish i had quidditch when i went to school

Posted by jonfrog {ROAR} on April 06, 2009, 05:34 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

Sirius was lounging in his chair at his ease, tilting it back on two legs. He was very good-looking; his dark hair fell into his eyes with a sort of casual elegance neither James's nor Harry's could ever have achieved, and a girl sitting behind him was ey