Muggle Students Play Quidditch in Wales

Fans
Posted by: Edward
April 06, 2009, 04:08 PM

Students of the Ferndale Comprehensive School in Rhondda Cynon Taf, South Wales have the added benefit of a little magic to their physical education program with the inclusion of a muggle form of Quidditch into their sports activities.  The Guardian is reporting that a version of the game is being played at the school with the "absence of broomsticks and bewitched balls, [as well as a] 'seeker,'" and is more of a "cross between dodgeball and handball."  Seven year old Keiron Port says this of the sport now being played at his school:

"Quidditch is a good fun game, it is fast and has lots of exciting moments. My favourite position has got to be the chaser, I like it because you get to score most of your team's goals."
The paper goes on to report that addition of Quidditch at the school is part of a"5x60 programme" that insures secondary school students in Wales receive at least one hour of exercise five times a week.  James Vale, a PE teacher at the Ferndale Comprehensive School, notes that the wizarding game is beneficial to the students because "players are always on the go unlike in other sports where players are sometimes not really involved in the game" due to the constant threat of bludgers.  This Welsh assembly government initiative to get children active in new and different sports began in 2006, and has been implemented in "98% of secondary schools across Wales and is expected to encompass all schools in the country by the end of the financial year."

Thanks to Tom for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

Ravenclaw_thumb

That’s amazing! My gym classes are terrible!!! Maybe I could suggest this to my gym teacher and we could stop playing “soldiers and generals” and other the other non-sporty games that she makes up!

Posted by BeAchL0veEr05 ☼ on April 06, 2009, 05:35 PM report to moderator
Rh7_thumb

why couldn’t they have done that at my school

Posted by bec majec *roar* on April 06, 2009, 05:58 PM report to moderator
Mugsp_profile_thumb

It seems like lots of different places have their own version of Quidditch. I wonder if we will ever be able to be to standardize and universalize one form of gameplay and rules. It would be very interesting to see it develop into something formal and regular.

Posted by eiVega on April 06, 2009, 05:58 PM report to moderator
Jonas_thumb

Awsome! I’ve always wanted to do that!

Posted by NargleCatcher on April 06, 2009, 06:01 PM report to moderator
Picture_6_thumb

If we had that in school, I probably would have taken gym this year. =P

Posted by Emily [ROAR] on April 06, 2009, 06:15 PM report to moderator

We play family friendly Quidditch every Sunday afternoon in the Phoenix East Valley – complete with Quaffle, Bludgers and Beater’s Bats. Each match has two 7 minute periods. The game is a cross between European Team Handball, Dodgeball and Monkey-in-the-Middle. I’m with JustSuperMione – we are still working on a flying snitch that will work in a park with bright sunlight.

Posted by Noble Birth Descending on April 06, 2009, 06:23 PM report to moderator
Img_3521_thumb

cool. My cousins and I played a game for fun a few year ago in my grandma’s yard.

Posted by McGiggles92 on April 06, 2009, 06:27 PM report to moderator
Perry-the-platypus-perry-the-platypus-4267460-120-115-1_thumb

Lucky! :D

Iheartfredgeorge_thumb

Ooh, that sounds fun! I’m so jealous. That’s a sport that I’d be interested in. :)

Posted by Mera004 on April 06, 2009, 06:51 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

my school DOES do this =) but it’s my last year at that school cries

Posted by DesQueJteVois on April 06, 2009, 06:54 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I wish I could have participate in these physical education classes! Then I might have actually enjoyed the subject for the first time in my life. :D

Posted by Kirk on April 06, 2009, 06:54 PM report to moderator
21256_thumb
i iwish i had that @ my school
Posted by boywizard63*ROAR* on April 06, 2009, 07:11 PM report to moderator
4579_94174720317_720170317_2401105_7295224_n_thumb

I’m so jealous!

Posted by Caitlin [Senegal Parrot] {WBM} on April 06, 2009, 07:14 PM report to moderator
4656_1105780456589_1589123784_30248503_5726170_n_thumb

I tried to get my gym teacher let us play quidditch but not even close…sad….and I have tried it with brooms and the snitch and bludger…i had people dress up as the snitch and quaflle…the snitch person just ran around being obnoxious and the people dressed up as the bludger just ran around tripping people…it was SO FUN!!!

Posted by theREALGinnyWeasley on April 06, 2009, 07:16 PM report to moderator
Phoenix_thumb

I wish that our school has quidditch!
That would be SO COOL!

Posted by Pottercastfan ∞∆ROAR!∆∞ on April 06, 2009, 07:19 PM report to moderator

It took perhaps thirty seconds for Snape to realize that he was on fire. A sudden yelp told her she had done her job. Scooping the fire off him into a little jar in her pocket, she scrambled back along the row -- Snape would never know what had happened.