Actor Jamie Waylett Reportedly Arrested for Drug Possession in London

Legal
April 08, 2009, 05:45 PM

We have some troubling news to report tonight regarding one of the actors in the Harry Potter films. Stemming originally from a UK tabloid, world wide media have now carried the story that actor Jamie Waylett, who portrays actor Vincent Crabbe in the beloved film series, was arrested on charges of possessing an illegal substance. A rep for Scotland Yard told the BBC that police made the arrest after searching a car carrying 19 year old Jamie and a friend. "The car was searched and officers found eight bags of a substance believed to be cannabis," he said.

The report then goes on to state a search of the Waylett's home produced additional cannabis in the form of ten plants. "Officers found a number of plants believed to be cannabis plants and equipment for the cultivation," Scotland Yard said "Both men have been bailed until July pending further inquiries and tests on the substances."

MTV also points out that "Waylett, who has become a "Harry Potter" fan favorite, emerged from massive casting calls in the early part of the decade to land his role. A Slytherin student, Vincent Crabbe serves as one of Draco Malfoy's minions but is as helped by his size as he is fatally flawed by his dimness. An accomplice to the Death Eaters, Crabbe's wizard powers — and his distaste for Harry — increase throughout the "Potter" series."

Readers will recall of course that Jamie Waylett is a long time friend to us here at Leaky. As distressing as this news is for us personally as we do believe this to be accurate, we can only imagine how upsetting this news is for his family, close friends, and of course his fans. At this time we do not know how this may impact his future role in the Harry Potter series, with filming ongoing for Deathly Hallows, and notably his involvement in the future filming of the dramatic scenes involving Crabbe in the Room of Requirement.  Warner Bros has declined to comment as of now on this matter, and we are continuing to work to learn more on this report; more when we get it!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Legal News

I feel for his friends and family. I wonder how that is going to affect DH. Maybe they’ll kill Goyle off instead? Hmm.

Posted by rosalie on April 08, 2009, 11:58 PM report to moderator
Natalieportman14_thumb

I’m with Dawlish and the Archieves on this. I mean, seriously. This is complete bullocks! I feel for his family and friends that they are going to be caught in the middle of this.

Though, I must admit, years from now, this will all be something that people laugh over.

And if they take away Jamie’s right to help finish off the series, I’m going to be severely pissed! I don’t bloody care that he had pot plants, nor do I care if he actually smoked it or anything. Crabbe belongs in the series and no one can play Crabbe but Jamie.

If this were Daniel or Rupert, this whole thing would be different. But, because it’s Jamie, fans are talking about dropping him? Is Crabbe really that expendable in your eyes? They let Michael Phelps go and he’s a bloody athlete!

Posted by Tassana Burrfoot on April 09, 2009, 12:10 AM report to moderator

pot? people are making this big of a deal out of pot?! though i guess i shouldn’t be shocked, look at the reaction to phelps. pot is harmless and young people have been enjoying it since the start of freaking time. so many real problems in the world we could be worrying about instead

Posted by bellaaa on April 09, 2009, 12:35 AM report to moderator
L_32b0eddba4eb43718eb38ffa016162b2_thumb

I’m not going to join the debate of whether or not pot should be legal but it currently is illegal and it’s a shame he was caught with it and so much of it. I do hope it doesn’t effect his role in the last two movies. I can’t picture anybody else playing the role.

Posted by phantomdave79 on April 09, 2009, 01:23 AM report to moderator
Wellbehaved_thumb

you know, i’m not all that surprised, i mean it sucks and i hope that it doesn’t effect the movies but he’s 19! no body would care if he wasnt n harry potter.

Posted by SlytherinPrincess007 on April 09, 2009, 01:34 AM report to moderator
125264_thumb

It sounds like he was selling the stuff if he had eight bags with him and was growing it. Thats a little worse than just possession. Why would he be that stupid? Its so sad. I hope his judgment improves…

Posted by DaughterOfAvalon on April 09, 2009, 01:45 AM report to moderator
125264_thumb

Posted by DaughterOfAvalon on April 09, 2009, 01:45 AM report to moderator
Weemee_5_thumb

this is another horrific story of a young talented person getting on the wrong track. I hope his friends and family stick by him and if he needs help he gets it. I also hope Warner Bros stick by him.

Posted by bobbblie on April 09, 2009, 03:16 AM report to moderator
Hedwig_avatar_thumb

What horrifies me is the “It’s only pot” attitude. It is perfectly possible to go through life without drinking alcohol to access or experimenting with drugs. I have and I really don’t feel that I have missed out on anything of value.

Posted by Graymayne on April 09, 2009, 03:44 AM report to moderator

That’s sad. Hope he learns from this.

Posted by Bradyboy on April 09, 2009, 03:45 AM report to moderator
Slyth2_thumb

Im sureit will be ok…

Posted by NoeLover42 on April 09, 2009, 03:54 AM report to moderator
Pru2_thumb
2016 Points

I wonder whether they’ll let him get help and continue with his role – that would send a stronger message about being about drug use and that you can have second chances!!!

Posted by JustSuperMione on April 09, 2009, 04:07 AM report to moderator
3176_1148335864275_1103912219_30424142_7574358_n-3_thumb

I just hate it that they always put Potter on headlines just to make some spectacle out of it. Sigh. And that news is indeed sad. I hope he finds his way back to the right path soon…

Posted by Mhæy™⌠R☺AR⌡ on April 09, 2009, 04:11 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

Oh no don’t tell me he’s been this stupid and took drugs. I don’t believe he had anything to do with it and hopefully it was his friends drugs. I don’t believe this at all!!!!!! He would neveer ever ever do this to us potter fans.

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on April 09, 2009, 04:19 AM report to moderator
Copy_of_hg_thumb

Isn’t this kinda ironic though, that Crabbe got busted for doing something wrong. He is in character! :)

Posted by Edza on April 09, 2009, 05:01 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

The Dursleys really were astonishingly stupid about their son, Dudley... Harry knew perfectly well that Dudley had not been to tea anywhere; he and his gang spent every evening vandalizing the play park, smoking on street corners, and throwing stones at p