Tom Felton Reflects Back on Landing Part as Draco Malfoy for Harry Potter Films

Felton
May 29, 2009, 09:47 AM

Actor Tom Felton has given a new interview to the Press Association where he reflects back on landing the part of Draco Malfoy for the Harry Potter films. He said that he originally wanted to play the part of the boy who lived, but ended up with the part of his nemisis.

"I went for Harry for about five times and then Ron for a couple more and ended up dying my hair blond for Draco. I had my hair dyed brown, ginger and then blond and finally they got it right. "I know Chris Columbus (director) was very keen I think to use me in the film but didn't quite know where to place me so to speak, so I am glad he found a place. I don't know what he saw in me as an 11-year-old, I can't see how I could be evil, but I am very glad he gave me the part of Draco definitely."

With Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince due out shortly in theaters July 15, Tom also gave some thoughts on the last movie, as filming for the final installment in the series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, is well underway: "It's a sad thought and an exciting one at the same time - I think we're all a little bit anxious about it being the last one but at the same time very excited to see what's going to come for all of us."

He added: "I have endless memories. To pick out one is an endless task, but collectively the seven years have been a huge, huge experience for me and a great learning experience and I've met some great friends and it's been too good to be true."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Felton News

Celeb-emma-watson-modcloth1_thumb

wow he is my fav slytherin hes not really evil right ?

Posted by Allthatsparkles/potters on May 29, 2009, 10:45 PM report to moderator
Celeb-emma-watson-modcloth1_thumb

wow he is my fav slytherin hes not really evil right ?

Posted by Allthatsparkles/potters on May 29, 2009, 10:45 PM report to moderator
Groucho2_thumb

curiously, my memory of Felton in his earliest roles all have him as naturally blond…shrug

One striking characteristic of all the young people involved in the films has been their graciousness toward one another, their professionalism, and their poise….Felton’s comments are fine examples of what we have come to expect from the HP cast members. compare that to the so-called ‘superstars’ who -lacking any talent whatsoever —are always getting into trouble, pop in and out of rehab, and who fill the trash magazines and silly ‘celebrity news’ programs here in the US. with the exception of Jamie Waylett’s recent troubles (which i truly hope he can get through —I don’t know what the penalties are in the UK, and hope that he has found superb legal counsel!), the young actors in the HP series have maintained such dignity and displayed such maturity one can only applaud them. I hope that they become role models within the entertainment profession…and have long happy lives. ;)

Posted by budb on May 29, 2009, 10:55 PM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

wow, he must really love HP!! i think its really good that he was a Harry Potter fan and he tried out for all these roles and he didnt give up!

Raven_avatar_thumb

He must be good, I cannot imagine anyone else in that role!

Posted by Won_Two on May 30, 2009, 12:03 AM report to moderator
106_4038_thumb

lol

Posted by gayle.marie [[ ROAR ]] on May 30, 2009, 12:07 AM report to moderator
Hp7main_thumb

I think it would have been interesting to see him as either Ron or Harry.

Posted by 9and3qtrs[ROAR] on May 30, 2009, 12:42 AM report to moderator
Lust_thumb

I’m amused that he auditioned for nearly all the parts. Haha,, funny.

Posted by punkedup88 on May 30, 2009, 12:45 AM report to moderator
Lust_thumb

I’m amused that he auditioned for nearly all the parts. Haha,, funny.

Posted by punkedup88 on May 30, 2009, 12:45 AM report to moderator
Aldebaran_thumb

I’m trying to imagine him with brown or ginger hair and failing. He’s just perfect as blond Draco (though I’m sure that he could have played the other parts equally well, we’re just used to him being Harry’s antagonistic counterpart).

Posted by imaxchen on May 30, 2009, 12:51 AM report to moderator
Anton-yelchin-kyle-reese-1_thumb

I always enjoy reading interviews with Tom. He’s really cool! =D
And he’s a perfect Draco at that – wouldn’t prefer him to be any other part than Draco in the Harry Potter movies. Yay Tom Felton <3

Posted by Ariel Malfoy**HISS** on May 30, 2009, 12:51 AM report to moderator
Img000029_thumb

Gah, he’s so awesome. :]

Posted by omgitslouise [WBM] [Ravenvlog <3's Me] on May 30, 2009, 01:30 AM report to moderator
N1585320109_30028278_6922_thumb

Man, he just took the role of Draco and ran with it. I think he’s fabulous. And I’m so glad that that’s the role he ended up with. And as some other people have mentioned, I’ve also developed quite a fondness for him since following him on Twitter, lol.

Posted by Kelsey on May 30, 2009, 01:32 AM report to moderator
Dracosmile_thumb

I love to see things happen to him! He is the guy who you love to hate. Also, is anyone else having problems with the galleries on this site?

Posted by Dunedainsith on May 30, 2009, 01:42 AM report to moderator
Gryffcutie_thumb

Wow, Tom actually auditioned for both Harry and Ron. It’s funny but he’s totally Draco through and through. I could never see him as anyone else but him. I can’t believe the filming for Death Hallows is well under way. It’s going to be so sad when it’s over. I don’t even want to think about it.

Posted by Gryffindor Cutie on May 30, 2009, 02:34 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"I know things about Ludo Bagman that would make your hair curl... [i]not[/i] that it needs it --" she added, eyeing Hermione's bushy hair.