Weasley Clock Ticks Closer to Becoming Reality

Products
Posted by: Edward
May 09, 2009, 09:03 PM

Those who desire a Muggle version of the Weasley family clock may not have much longer to wait for this type of technology to be available in their homes.  The Times is reporting this evening that researchers at Microsoft have completed user trials for their Whereabouts Clock.  As TLC reported back in 2007, the company had been testing this device which 'monitor[s] the movements of family members through their mobile phones.'  According to the article, the device 'works by identifying which cell of a mobile phone network a family member is in at any given time. When users set up the Whereabouts Clock they have to give each cell a name, such as “work” or “school”, by downloading software onto their phone.'  With this information, the clock would be able to assign a location to each person based on when they enter that cell.  Researcher Richard Harper spoke of the aims of this device by saying:

“We want it to give enough information to be comforting without giving so much that people feel they are being watched."
The Times goes on to note that Microsoft is looking at how to market the product, but makes no mention of its release.  Janice Day, one of those who tested the clock, said that she "didn’t like initially everyone knowing where I was - and I thought, Janice, you hypocrite. But by the end I was actually quite happy about it."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Products News

Img_4556_thumb

I just want to surgically implant a tracking device in my daughter. Forget the phone bit.

Posted by Dolemite [FTC!] on May 11, 2009, 12:14 PM report to moderator
3176_1148335864275_1103912219_30424142_7574358_n-3_thumb

Wow! That is one cool gadget!

Posted by Mhæy™⌠R☺AR⌡ on May 11, 2009, 01:29 PM report to moderator
Gftw_thumb

Cool Concept……but i like a little privacy…..

Posted by iconshero [GftW] on May 11, 2009, 02:27 PM report to moderator
108_thumb

LOL my kids would hate this but I would love knowing where they are. I think the clock in the picture is ugly but that is just my taste. Some would probably love it.

Posted by Melinae ♥Squee♥/Professor Truffle on May 11, 2009, 02:38 PM report to moderator
Colorful_desktop_candy_by_alsnd12-400x300_thumb

It´d be great,, if it worked with magic only!! Haha

Posted by hermi0ne_228 on May 11, 2009, 04:35 PM report to moderator
Doctor_who_5_thumb

Wow that would be so cool!

Posted by I've got a theory... *ROAR* on May 11, 2009, 04:55 PM report to moderator
Ththhogwartsheaven_thumb

To have The Weasley’s famous clock is soooo cool. It is amazing what the technology can do now. I LOVE it!!!

Posted by Taylor Potter ~★ROAR★~ on May 11, 2009, 05:31 PM report to moderator
Cadoyp57_thumb

So they can track us now with our cell phones??

Posted by PigmyPuffPie on May 11, 2009, 07:27 PM report to moderator

cool but EXTREMELY creepy. I like it better as a fictional instrument

Posted by kenmarekestrels93 {{ROAR}} on May 11, 2009, 07:35 PM report to moderator
67_richardoud_thumb

Wow. I admit I have thought “wouldn’t it be cool to have one of those…”
It would creep me out if it weren’t so similar to an HP item! At least they’re not talking about using micro-chips…yet. But you gotta hand it to them. That’s cool!

Posted by Noella_Mansrot [Raven] {WBM} on May 11, 2009, 11:01 PM report to moderator
67_richardoud_thumb

Of course, I wouldn’t want one unless they made it LOOK like an old-fashioned clock just like Mrs. Weasleys!

Posted by Noella_Mansrot [Raven] {WBM} on May 11, 2009, 11:05 PM report to moderator
Avatars_books_bookart_jun_002_thumb

thats awesome :)

Posted by ElVampiro9878 on May 11, 2009, 11:31 PM report to moderator
Kitt2_thumb

I am so interested by technology like this, but it’s also somewhat scary. Like I’m paranoid we’re all going to have barcodes and chips implanted into us as babies scary. :-/

Posted by nekoanimagus *UWS* on May 11, 2009, 11:33 PM report to moderator
Kitt2_thumb

Oh yeah, as far as tracking with cell phones, they also have tools that allow you to see the congestion on the roadways based on cell phones and gps and whatnot.

Posted by nekoanimagus *UWS* on May 11, 2009, 11:34 PM report to moderator
Me_thumb

it’s quite funny how the real world wants to copy the wizarding world created by JKR.

i think it will be quite “uneasy” for someone to know that someone else knows her/his complete whereabouts. but as it said, they will be programming(?) their cellphones? or will they sms something to tell their whereabouts? anyway, it’s just so hilarious… because at the book the muggles are afraid of the magical world, but in reality, we are copying it….

just saying..

Posted by alegria35 on May 12, 2009, 05:41 AM report to moderator

"Listen to me, reliving family history..." he said quietly, "why, I am growing quite sentimental..."