Weasley Clock Ticks Closer to Becoming Reality

Products
Posted by: Edward
May 09, 2009, 09:03 PM

Those who desire a Muggle version of the Weasley family clock may not have much longer to wait for this type of technology to be available in their homes.  The Times is reporting this evening that researchers at Microsoft have completed user trials for their Whereabouts Clock.  As TLC reported back in 2007, the company had been testing this device which 'monitor[s] the movements of family members through their mobile phones.'  According to the article, the device 'works by identifying which cell of a mobile phone network a family member is in at any given time. When users set up the Whereabouts Clock they have to give each cell a name, such as “work” or “school”, by downloading software onto their phone.'  With this information, the clock would be able to assign a location to each person based on when they enter that cell.  Researcher Richard Harper spoke of the aims of this device by saying:

“We want it to give enough information to be comforting without giving so much that people feel they are being watched."
The Times goes on to note that Microsoft is looking at how to market the product, but makes no mention of its release.  Janice Day, one of those who tested the clock, said that she "didn’t like initially everyone knowing where I was - and I thought, Janice, you hypocrite. But by the end I was actually quite happy about it."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Products News

4656_1105780456589_1589123784_30248503_5726170_n_thumb

oh my god i want a weasley clock!!!! DUDE THATS AMAZING!!!!!!!

Posted by theREALGinnyWeasley on May 10, 2009, 10:19 AM report to moderator

Thats…. Thats absolutely creepy…

I mean for the weasleys it works they’re all so close& such a big fam. Its probably hard to keep track, with them at hogwarts& all over the world& what not

…but REALLY…?

Posted by KaraDawlish on May 10, 2009, 10:32 AM report to moderator
Me__xd_thumb

Wow, I don’t know how I would feel about this. It sounds like a good idea, but sounds like there wouldn’t be a whole lot of privacy. Although I think it would be really cool to have a Weasley clock, just not one that actually works.

Posted by Naners on May 10, 2009, 10:33 AM report to moderator
Witch_hat_thumb

Mr. Weasley would have a field day! I wonder if you can set one of the cells to “mortal peril”

Posted by *H*ROAR Mudblood Proud on May 10, 2009, 11:01 AM report to moderator
49860_1104575754_1481_n_thumb

I just hope Microsoft does a good job on it. This is the same company that gave us Vista.

Posted by Garden State Geek on May 10, 2009, 11:01 AM report to moderator
15657683_thumb

Cool, if you look at it from the “Harry Potter awesomeness” side. Worst thing ever if you consider it from the “Oh noes, my parents will know where I am!” point of view.

Posted by Cellar Door [*SQUEE!*] on May 10, 2009, 11:02 AM report to moderator
Avpm_15_by_cuttlefishbella_thumb

From what I see in the avatar, it doesn’t look much like the Weasley clock…
Other than that, it’s pretty cool :].

Posted by Live Laugh Love Potter ♥ROAR♥ on May 10, 2009, 11:08 AM report to moderator
30305_116079131768789_113664342010268_91277_1312318_s_thumb

Awesomeeeee -

Posted by Rita_Dumbledore94 on May 10, 2009, 11:12 AM report to moderator
Imagescad1mlxa_thumb

That is so freaken awsome!

Posted by muggle..andproudofit =:) on May 10, 2009, 11:54 AM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Hmm. Interesting…

Posted by Christine on May 10, 2009, 12:01 PM report to moderator
Bottlenose_dolphin_thumb

I know my mom would love this, because she could always have an eye on my brother and I. Maybe next mothers’ day…

Posted by D☺lphin♀500 Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ on May 10, 2009, 12:06 PM report to moderator
1930 Points

So cool! It might be super expensive, though :/

Posted by felixfelicis11 on May 10, 2009, 12:19 PM report to moderator

umm… disturbing…. but cool if used moderately x)

Posted by Sophie on May 10, 2009, 12:22 PM report to moderator
1980 Points

coool!!!! aswome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats soo cool

Posted by floridianhp*ROAR* on May 10, 2009, 12:38 PM report to moderator
Brent_river_2_thumb

Wow thats great maybe I’ll have to get a cell phone now!!(LOL)

Posted by Big B [ROAR FTW] on May 10, 2009, 12:45 PM report to moderator

It occurred to him that he had never managed to get this far into the forest without meeting some kind of creature -- their absence struck him as rather ominous.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014