Total Film Opinion Article on 12 Things They Should Have Kept in the Harry Potter Films

Movies
June 20, 2009, 09:13 AM

UK magazine Total Film has an interesting opinion piece/feature online where they lament twelve things that should have been kept in the Harry Potter films. Echoing many sentiments we fans have expressed written and discussed over the years, the list includes some of the following:

*PEEVES: The omission of the pesky poltergeist of Hogwarts has long been a source of the discussion in the fandom. Total Film adds to the chorus as it notes Peeves should have been included for OotP, noting: Pesky prankster Peeves is an anarchic poltergeist whose only goal is to create chaos. His sworn enemy is Argus Filch, the school caretaker, who has to clear up after him. Rumours that he could be the ghost of Jeremy Beadle remain unfounded. Rik Mayall did film a scene as Peeves for Philosopher’s Stone, but it got chopped.

*The Origins of the Marauders Map in Prisoner of Azkaban: If you’ve never read the book, the magic map given to Harry in Prisoner Of Azkaban seems to have ‘lazy plot device’ written all over it.In fact, what it actually had written all over it is ‘Messrs Mooney, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs’, which is a clue as to its origins and a whole subplot about Harry’s dad, Sirius Black and the other map creators being animagii – those with the ability to turn into animals.

*Percy Weasley, Traitor: The magazine discusses the cutting of this subplot to Order of the Phoenix, as they describe the role played by Chris Rankin in the films as follows:  In the film, elder Weasley sprog Percy – now working for the Ministry of Magic – comes across as a slimy yes-man. In the books he’s an all-out traitor, disowning his family and sending Christmas presents back unopened. The film could have run with the idea of Percy going really evil – fiddling his expenses and claiming on a second Gnome or something.

You can read the entire list, which also includes SPEW, Professor Binns, hoarding by Kreacher,  the Headless Hunt and more here via this link. Thanks Kiwi!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Interesting… I agree on many counts.

Posted by hufflepuff_86 [OTC] on June 20, 2009, 09:19 PM report to moderator
Picture_6_thumb

Interesting! And I agree with all of them – I’d sit through unreasonably long movies if they’d kept everything in.

Posted by Emily [ROAR] on June 20, 2009, 09:34 PM report to moderator
Tamy_129_thumb

The list is not actually really interesting. There are much more important things that they cut than the lack of Prof Binns or Ludo Bagman or Peeves.The should have explained the prophecy better in the fifth.That´s crucial in the series.

Posted by Tamyris on June 20, 2009, 09:36 PM report to moderator
Picture_6_thumb

Oh, yeah, and I think Spew was the most important one. Ron and Hermione’s kiss won’t be the same without it!!

Posted by Emily [ROAR] on June 20, 2009, 09:36 PM report to moderator
Picture0093_thumb

Oh and definitely the cutting of the quidditch world cup, I was so gutted when they just cut from the start of the match to the celebrations!

Posted by Serpensortia [FTC!] on June 20, 2009, 10:04 PM report to moderator
Normal_movies_officialimages_lunaspectre_001_thumb

First of all, I think that S.P.E.W was very vital to the series, and to Hermionie’s character as a whole. Honestly, Jo could not have written a more touching moment for Hermonie/Ron kiss, than when Ron finally understands about S.P.E.W. I do not believe that whatever they come up with for the onscreen kiss will be nearly as special without S.P.E.W. I will be VERY shocked and impressed if they could pull this off.

I think Percy and Kreacher are both great plot lines that got cut, which I am hoping that they can rectify within the next three movies. One of my favorite moments in the series is in DH when Percy comes flying into the Room of Requirement right before the battle, but that will not be the same without the backstory.

I think that the details of the Marauders would also be on my list of things that they should have kept. I agree that St. Mungos would have been a great scene for OotP for the development of Neville’s character.

Posted by HPHealer on June 20, 2009, 10:09 PM report to moderator
Base1_thumb

I agree with most things, although I don’t think Binns is that important.. The Quidditch (world cup and Ron) were really disappointing in the movies.. I really hope ‘Weasley is our King’ will be sung in HBP.. And I wonder how Ron and Hermione will get to kiss without SPEW..(nice picture of Dobby there, btw).
I just realised the song about Voldy has gone moldy won’t be in the movie either :( It is kinda strange that he is in the computer games and not in the movies.. he’s funny :P
And that they left out the Marauders story (and that they misspelled Moony.. intentionally).

Posted by evannaa on June 20, 2009, 10:20 PM report to moderator
Patronus_part_2_004_thumb

interesting, I agree with most of it too. Especially Kreacher hoarding things… now they have to go back and fill in the holes to explain what they cut out before.

Posted by skiving snackboxes on June 20, 2009, 10:21 PM report to moderator
Ball_pic_thumb

The top thing they should have kept in in my opinion was, Hermione giving Ron a kiss on the cheek!

Posted by Hopelaa93 on June 20, 2009, 10:27 PM report to moderator
Hp22_thumb

Yha the should have kept alot of stuff in

Posted by magiclilly22 on June 20, 2009, 10:41 PM report to moderator
Ravenpwn_thumb

I agree with pretty much everything, but that’s just the fan in me. I’d love to see more of Dobby and S.P.E.W.!… Ugh. But some of the cuts do make a little sense, from a filmaker’s point of view. Apparently, a 6 hour movie wouldn’t please us… D: And they’ll have a lot of difficulty tying Kreacher into the next movies as well.

Posted by Daniel (: on June 20, 2009, 10:42 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

Well, technically, The Headless Hunt is shown running throught the Great Hall in POA although not named as such. Percy is there in OOP, but they never call him by name. Kreacher does have his little box and is doing some tidying. The scene with Burke, Lucius and Draco is in the bonus scenes—and it is shown on the ABC Family version. Peeves, SPEW, Bagman and the rest we could do without. BUT the one that bugs me the most is not explaining where the Mauraders Map came from—it is one of the pivetal clues in the entire story.

Posted by Rhiannon on June 20, 2009, 10:46 PM report to moderator
250px-youre-a-wizard

Total Film must include “S.P.E.W.” in their list. I Love House-Elves stories/parts in the book and then the film makers decided to ommit them, one reason why i felt dissapointment.

Posted by EnricoDc on June 20, 2009, 10:54 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_ravenclaw_thumb

This is great!

Posted by Edna_Turnblad on June 20, 2009, 11:04 PM report to moderator

I definitely agreed with most of those on the list, especially leaving Kreacher out in OOP. I also wish they had mentioned that there is no one for Merope in HBP, I felt that that was a very emotionally significant part of the book, but it looks like they’re going to leave it out. :( Oh well, I’ll probably still love it anyway, just because of all the anticipation.

Posted by darkprincess637 on June 20, 2009, 11:05 PM report to moderator

With a bang like a gunshot, the cracker flew apart to reveal a large, pointed witch's hat topped with a stuffed vulture.[br]Harry, remembering the boggart, caught Ron's eye and they both grinned; Snape's mouth thinned and he pushed the hat toward Dumbledo