MSN Asks "Has Harry Potter Lost the Magic?"

Movies
June 23, 2009, 09:24 AM

The MSN Mom & Pop Culture Blog for Family Entertainment has an opinion piece today based on the question " 'Has Harry Potter Lost His Magic?.' " The article starts by mentioning the huge interest and media attention paid to the Twilight series, then discusses the delay of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, wondering if this would cause waning in the love of the series and films. The author notes that while some had been planning a boycott when the movie opens next month, the magic remains strong and firm for many of us, and mentions our own recent LeakyCon convention held last month in Boston. Quotage:

But on the other hand, there is reality. Harry Potter still has passionate fans. The Web site, TheLeakyCauldron.org reports more than 75,000 members in its online discussion community. These fans not only have no plans to boycott Warner Bros. for delaying the movie, some of them also traveled to Boston a couple of months ago for "LeakyCon," a convention that raised money for charities and featured the musical stylings of an astonishing number of Harry Potter tribute bands.
...
The event, put on by TheLeakyCauldron.org, wasn't just about bands, though. Two major names in young adult literature, Cheryl Klein and John Green, gave a keynote speech on the writing process. Klein was on the U.S. editing team for Harry Potter, and Green is author of "Looking for Alaska" and "An Abundance of Katherines" and "Paper Towns."

The author then goes on to note a feeling that is shared by so many of us:

As impressive as this is, conventions aren't proof that the boy wizard retains his magic. That lies in the stories themselves, where the magic remains in abundance...I picked up "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" again to get myself ready for the movie, and loved it more this time than I did the first. Once you know how the series ends, you can see the incredibly way Rowling structured the story, weaving little bits into the tapestry that would have great meaning later. All the while, she stayed true to her central theme: that a mother's love is the most powerful magic of all. And she keeps things refreshingly complex. Many secondary characters are a mix of good and evil -- sort of like how people are in the real world.

These books are good enough that they should be considered classics. The movies, for the most part, have been good, too. This is why I'll be at the theater the day "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" opens. For me, at least, the magic is as strong as ever.

Hear Hear! Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince opens July 15th.
Thanks Jenny and Samantha!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Hear, Hear! Everytime I pick up a Potter book, it’s just magic. My family laughs at me! “haven’t you read those enough times?” I laugh back, and say “NEVER!”

Posted by hufflepuff_86 [OTC] on June 23, 2009, 11:36 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

The magic of Harry Potter is that the theme of love of transcends race, culture, and socio-economic differences. At LeakyCon there were young people and senior citizens all celebrating this wonderful modern myth. The Harry Potter saga has the ability to change peoples lives, create community, and inspire public service. It has done all that and more for me.

Posted by Rhiannon on June 23, 2009, 11:48 AM report to moderator
Electric_guitar_thumb

I think that 20+ years from now there will still be a strong fanbase for Harry Potter, the same as there is for LOTR. Twilight however I am not so sure about. I think Twilight is interesting, but Harry Potter is epic.

Posted by Lloyd on June 23, 2009, 11:53 AM report to moderator
Poa105_thumb

the media loves to twist and turn all the hype…twilight & hp are two completely different series, the only thing they have in common is the label ‘young adult’. HP’s magic is still going strong!

Posted by Lucilla{ROAR!!} on June 23, 2009, 11:57 AM report to moderator
Photo_24_thumb

I was upset by the delay, of course, but only because I wanted to see it so badly. I still want to see it badly. I can’t believe that people would boycott the film – if they’re true fans – because punishing WB isn’t as important as one’s own pleasure on seeing the film. Plus, I think this film is going to be the best yet. I don’t think the delay will hurt the money-making prospects of the film, so financially the repercussions of the delay won’t be a factor. Artistically, the magic will never die. We’ve all invested so much time, money, and energy into the phenomenon (let’s not call it ‘the property’, for heaven’s sake!) that we couldn’t just stop now! Impossible!

Posted by LupinAscending [WBM] on June 23, 2009, 12:04 PM report to moderator
Malfoy_avatar_thumb

Oh, yeah, and comparing Twilight againt Harry Potter? Let’s just compare the numbers of books sold.

No contest.

Posted by Hydrus on June 23, 2009, 12:07 PM report to moderator

I have read the first two Twilight books and really enjoyed the movie, but it in no way compares to HP. HP is on a level that is rare to achieve. It is probably not going to be equaled any time soon.

Posted by iamnotworriedharry on June 23, 2009, 12:13 PM report to moderator

Oops, that should have been “HP Magic will not die” not day.

Posted by scarlett3984 on June 23, 2009, 12:14 PM report to moderator
Z_thumb

it has NOT lost its magic! its people who have lost their minds.

Posted by chocolaterabbits on June 23, 2009, 12:22 PM report to moderator
Greathornedowl_thumb

I think HP will be much more enduring than Twilight, which is only a FAD!

Posted by PhoenixFlight [ITC!] on June 23, 2009, 12:25 PM report to moderator
L_dcc36f2d2a34464e977dc88798068c5f_thumb

I love Harry and Twilight the same. For me, they are both good reads and I can’t wait for either films to come out. But I do think that Harry will be more of a classic, in the sense of Roald Dahl and J.R.R. Tolkien.

Posted by adreinparker on June 23, 2009, 12:29 PM report to moderator
30305_116079131768789_113664342010268_91277_1312318_s_thumb

Harry will never dire…He’ll be 4 ever in our hearts… <3

Posted by Rita_Dumbledore94 on June 23, 2009, 12:36 PM report to moderator
282600_233804939987291_100000733600249_807455_78180_n_thumb

ha HP FTW!!!!

Posted by Horcruxalej on June 23, 2009, 12:45 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

I think the books will be read long after the films are forgotten…

Posted by Won_Two on June 23, 2009, 12:57 PM report to moderator
Me-cropped_thumb

yea! I contributed something useful! :-)

I wish they wouldn’t title these pieces like that… I know they are supposed to grab your attention, but why all the negativity?

Posted by janspach on June 23, 2009, 01:20 PM report to moderator

"Half an inch of skin and sinew holding my neck on, Harry! Most people would think that's good and beheaded, but oh, no, it's not enough for Sir Properly Decapitated-Podmore."