New Interview with Jessie Cave on Love, Lavender and Snogging Ron Weasley

HBP Film
June 23, 2009, 01:57 PM

The HeroComplex Blog in the LA Times featuring new daily reports on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince has been updated today with a new interview of actress Jessie Cave. The young actress discusses her role as Lavender Brown, and the relationship her character has with Ron Weasley, as played by actor Rupert Grint. In the interview we learn she read the books before landing a part in the series ("I read ‘Half-Blood Prince’ before I knew anything about the auditions. So to have already read the character was so great.") working with Rupert ("He was very easygoing and very laid-back. He didn’t at all have any kind of ego, he was just a nice guy and very normal.") and the relationship between Ron and Lavender which involves a bit of...snogging.

Do you remember what your first day on set was like?
It’s funny, I was filming for six months, but I remember my third day was the big kissing scene. I remember thinking, ‘Why are they doing this so early?’ It helped actually because the nerves kind of added to the scene. There were so many extras, like 70 other people in the room, it could have gone so wrong. The first day was kind of building up to the kissing scene, so it was immediately going into the deep end.

If I remember correctly, Lavender’s the aggressor in the relationship, right?
Ha! Yes, she is incredibly dominating of Ron. She just wants to be around him all the time and she’s the one who initiates everything. She’s one of those girls that’s very pretty and very obvious, she’s just not really aware of how she’s being perceived by anyone else. And I think that’s really sweet in a way because she doesn’t perceive barriers very well [laughs]. She treads all over them. It’s why she ruffles Hermione’s feathers so much.

She does put up a good fight.
She’s almost the catalyst in setting up Hermione and Ron in the final chapter of the saga really. Without Lavender, they wouldn’t have been forced together, to acknowledge their feelings so abruptly because she definitely caused that.

How did it feel playing someone who everyone will know doesn’t stand a chance?
Well, she does really! She does quite well. She does go out with him and does get her claws into him for awhile. Not claws -- she’s lovely. She does get her way for a tiny bit, but unfortunately, it doesn’t end up her way.

How is Lavender introduced?
She’s in the Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes shop and she’s kind of ogling Ron. She’s been going to school with them for years, but it’s not that she’s making her interests known.

Thanks to everyone who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Raven_avatar_thumb

Interesting interview…

Posted by Won_Two on June 23, 2009, 02:13 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

From these comments it is safe to say that she understands her character well, and I do hope that familiarity with Lavendar’s contribution to the entire series, as she noted, is reflected in her performance on screen! I am increasingly convinced that she was the perfect choice for the character.

I also am pleased that they chose to introduce her in the manner that they did, at Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes. I look forward to seeing them exchange glimpses before the action begins immensely!

Posted by Kirk on June 23, 2009, 02:14 PM report to moderator
Img_4556_thumb

You rock Jessie!

Posted by Dolemite [FTC!] on June 23, 2009, 02:54 PM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

nice interview! I don’t believe the “lovely part”… She’s half monster and half angel! she… mmm… no comments!!! =S I have to watch the movie!

12440441_thumb
19573 Points

LOL! This is funny!

Posted by R-for-H {ROAR} :D on June 23, 2009, 03:09 PM report to moderator

shes cool lucky gets to snog rubert so romantic i love seeing snogging seens

Posted by 100000 on June 23, 2009, 03:41 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

I cant wait to see this part!!!

Posted by The Nerd on June 23, 2009, 05:12 PM report to moderator
Kit_thumb

Jessie sounds like a person that would be nice to know. I can’t wait to see her as Lavender. She is very pretty, no wonder Hermione is so jealous. lol

Posted by Fereverto on June 23, 2009, 05:26 PM report to moderator

I appreciate when the actors understand their characters well. Looks like she’ll be awesome. I can’t wait to see the “But he’s my boyfriend!” Hermione v. Lav Lav scene!

Posted by AubNoelle on June 23, 2009, 06:38 PM report to moderator
Ahh_thumb

This was a great article. It was great when she brought her brothers and sisters to the set!

Posted by spicefan78 OoM1 {ROAR!} on June 23, 2009, 07:10 PM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

interesting interview…she knew she had one shot to improvise with Rupert and she definitely took it..LOL and it obviously worked for her.

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on June 23, 2009, 11:22 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

“Without Lavender, they wouldn’t have been forced together, to acknowledge their feelings so abruptly because she definitely caused that.”

hm…I never thought of that. true.very true. but you’re still getting on my nerves Lav Lav!

Posted by Matea on June 24, 2009, 02:06 AM report to moderator
Luna-lovegood_330x392_thumb

She seems really nice and down to earth. I wonder why they didn’t include her character in the movies until now?

Posted by ellie☀potter on June 24, 2009, 02:29 AM report to moderator

Oh wow…I like Jessie Cave! It is quite amazing, she’s right about Lav Lav forcing them together. It could have been so different without her…

Posted by ♥Sparkly Purple Cloud♥{WBM}♥ on June 24, 2009, 02:41 AM report to moderator
Dailyprophet_thumb

She seems so nice :)

Posted by Ravonja [WBM♥] on June 24, 2009, 02:42 AM report to moderator

"Dumbledore told me wha' you did, Harry."[br]Hagrid's chest swelled as he looked at Harry.[br]"Yeh did as much as yer father would've done, an' I can' give yeh no higher praise than that."