Father We Love Best: Mark Williams Talks His Role as Arthur Weasley

HBP Film
June 24, 2009, 08:27 PM

Tonight we have a bit of a treat as there is a new and rare in depth interview online in the LA Times with actor Mark Williams and his role as Arthur Weasley. In this interview we learn Mark, who has protrayed the Patriarch of the Weasley family in all Harry Potter films, read the series long before he was cast in the part. He offers his thoughts on Arthur, and has high praise for author J.K. Rowling, and the decision to make Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows into two films. While the entire interview is well worth the read, some fascinating comments can be found below:

So, how much freedom did you get to shape Arthur Weasley to your liking?
Well, in the book he's kind of balding and said to Chris [Columbus] 'Well, do you want me to shave my head or something' and he said 'No! No, don't do that!' He looked at me and said 'Don't take it so literally.' J.K. Rowling has been very good about that. She's allowed the films to develop sort of in parallel to the books, but she hasn't changed the sort of characterization of the books either ... And with "Deathly Hallows," I think for the first time, as the books got bigger, Steve Kloves' job got harder and harder. But having two parts to the last book is good. I'm a big champion of it, and not just because I'm in them. She [J.K. Rowling] has such a mathematical brain, or better put, a musical brain and all the themes and the melodies were resolved in the last book.

Arthur Weasley's role has increased through the series -- how did you approach him having a more active role?
I didn't know, but I believe that she has said that he's the only functional father left. Actually, though, I think he's the only functional father. Lucius isn't a functional father. "Proto" fathers Sirius and Dumbledore are dead, and there's no nice way to put that, so he's the only good image of a father really. But you should ask her about that, and believe me when we finish I will ask her.

So, the movies still have the whimsy, but they're getting a little darker it seems. How have you and your character dealt with that?
Well, it was always dark ... John Williams picked it up perfectly, I mean with music being 30% of the film .. I mean, you know, his parents were killed. There's just these great Dickensian -- I've never said that before and I kind of wished I hadn't -- but these great big scenes that you can play on the cello, you know what I mean. As time's gone on, I've just been more and more impressed about her (J.K. Rowling) sense of geography and knowing where she's going. There's a big map in there and I've never felt that any of the concerns or themes or problems have been swept under the carpet.

What's nice is that going into the last two films, thinking that this is a great pleasure to play this character .. and it's great that when we finish, we're gonna BE finished. Not gonna be left hanging.

Is there anything that Arthur Weasley has done in the books that you wish he had done in the film?
Yes! Well, I talked about this with Christopher Columbus and he was very clear that this was not gonna happen. But when we first see Arthur Weasley, he arrives home and a load of gnomes is eating in his garden and he kind of zaps them ... I so wish I could've done that.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Kc_lucius1_thumb

I love him as Arthur!!

Posted by KC Nox on June 24, 2009, 08:31 PM report to moderator

he is such a great guy and a great arthur.
he portrays arthur so well, and i love love love him.

Posted by john-robert. on June 24, 2009, 08:39 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_pic_thumb

It seems to me that he took this role for the fun of it.

Posted by monicahp2009(WBM) on June 24, 2009, 08:48 PM report to moderator
Jordan_thumb

Great interview! He is great as Arthur; I can’t remember how I pictured the character before the films!

Posted by Jordan Edwards on June 24, 2009, 08:50 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

way neat. awesome as Arthur :]

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on June 24, 2009, 08:55 PM report to moderator
Snapshot_20090621_1_thumb

He’s a brilliant Arthur! I’m glad he knows so much about the actual series; it always makes me happy when an actor really loves the books.

Posted by xxkristeen on June 24, 2009, 09:14 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

This is a good article. It is interesting that Arthur is the last father or father figure left. JK nearly killed off Arthur too!

Posted by Fresca ROAR on June 24, 2009, 09:50 PM report to moderator
Normal_tomriddle2_scarpotter_thumb

He is such a perfect Arthur!

Posted by Huffleclaw65 on June 24, 2009, 09:51 PM report to moderator
Yuleball29wd_thumb

Love the end :D

Posted by Half-blood Princess on June 24, 2009, 10:26 PM report to moderator
41105_10150254604520192_615620191_14488176_2111077_n_thumb

nice

Posted by placebowiz on June 24, 2009, 11:01 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

After reading this interview, I am not only convinced that he was perfect for the role, but that he was, actually, born for it. He understands the character as though he were Arthur’s twin.

Posted by Kirk on June 24, 2009, 11:12 PM report to moderator
Minerva_mcgonagall_thumb

He is the perfect Arthur. Just as I pictured him!!

Posted by oldenoughtoknowbetter♎ROAR♎OoM1, CW on June 25, 2009, 01:25 AM report to moderator
Dumbledore1_thumb

it’s good to see an actor that understands the inner workings of the character he portrays! kudos to mark williams for an outstanding job.

Posted by Empressa on June 25, 2009, 01:31 AM report to moderator
12440441_thumb
19573 Points

He is a treat Arthur. Nice to hear and see him talking about his role in the film!

Posted by R-for-H {ROAR} :D on June 25, 2009, 02:46 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter__hbp_promo__3_thumb

I couldn’t think of anyone else as Arthur Weasley. He really fits to the character.

Posted by forgetmenot_007 on June 25, 2009, 03:27 AM report to moderator

Harry wound his hand tightly into the mane of the nearest thestral, placed a foot on a stump nearby, and scrambled clumsily onto the horse's silken back. It did not object, but twisted its head around, fangs bared, and attempted to continue its eager lick

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014