Radcliffe Talks Missing Dobby, Black Family Tree and More in Empire Magazine

Radcliffe
June 29, 2009, 11:26 PM

The August issue of Empire magazine contains a lengthy new interview with actor Dan Radcliffe on his role as Harry Potter. In a wide ranging interview, Dan discusses topics such as the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and notes the problem of having to reintroduce Dobby again ("Maybe I should have a line when he pops up: 'Dobby! I haven't seen you since 2003!' "), the Black Family Tree by which he bought at a charity auction ("I've got a family tree from Jo Rowling which says when everyone was born. Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy were both born in 1980, so it's all set in the early '90s. By now we'd be about in the middle of the Oasis/Blur debacle!") as well as the directors he has worked with over the years including Chris Columbus ("I genuinely don't think anyone could have done a better job starting the series. If you'd gone straight in with Alfonso Cuaron, people would have freaked out and I don't think kids would have been able to take it.")

Dan Radcliffe also speaks to a topic that has been a source of debate amoung fans, the loss of those important to Harry. Given there are those who are trying to avoid spoilers, this editor recommends if you would like, you read this page of the interview in particular where the actor speaks about these scenes, as well as those upcoming in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. You can see the entire set of scans here courtesy of our Order partner DanRadcliffe.com!

Thanks DR.com!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

wow he and emma hads rows? interesting..i thought they would have been the last to fight

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on June 30, 2009, 06:46 PM report to moderator
Rupert_icon_thumb

he even said that he had rows with Emma and always got along with Ron! LOL :)

Posted by megan_702*ROAR* on June 30, 2009, 06:55 PM report to moderator
Hpsssorting_thumb

Great article. Daniel is such a bright and funny person. I also laughed at him going off track, because that’s what I do.

Posted by TheSortingHat[ROAR] on June 30, 2009, 08:21 PM report to moderator
Pluto_thumb

Its so funny when he talks about his death scene in DH. You Rock Dan!

Posted by simos girl {WBM} ~Lemon~ on June 30, 2009, 08:35 PM report to moderator

I-LOVE-DAN. That’s all I can say.

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on June 30, 2009, 11:57 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter__hbp_promo__3_thumb

A great interview!

Posted by forgetmenot_007 on July 01, 2009, 12:40 AM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

This sounds like a fantastic interview, more in-depth by far than the many superficial ones that usually surface in the media! I will bookmark it for reading later!

Posted by Kirk on July 01, 2009, 01:43 AM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

Great article! I love Dan! :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on July 01, 2009, 02:00 AM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

EXCELLENT interview from Dan! I read the whole thing! He always gives such great interviews because he’s so smart and cool! The Dobby comment was great, but I’m sure they will make it work in the movie. And his comment about American child stars is absolutely true!

I wonder what he and Emma row about. lol.

Posted by cghambright on July 01, 2009, 02:20 AM report to moderator
Scarff_copy_thumb

that comment should DEFINETLY be in there! lol

Posted by weasleyalltheway(rrooaarr!) on July 01, 2009, 03:24 AM report to moderator

I love this interview, and that they’ve kept the off-topic, ad hoc comments by Dan! You really get a feel for him as a person.

“The only reason Rupert and I probably never argued is that he’s the most totally laidback person you’ll ever meet. You could probably set fire to him and he wouldn’t really mind.” LOL!!

Loved his comments about the room decor! What a sweetheart! We love you, Dan!

Posted by pottershrink on July 01, 2009, 04:40 AM report to moderator
Hbpofficiallstills102_thumb

Wow Great Article.. I can’t wait to see how they bring Dobby back up to speed!!

Posted by Harry Potter 4 Ever!! on July 01, 2009, 04:46 AM report to moderator
Tamy_129_thumb

That line about Dobby was hilarious! Dan is so freaking funny! He mentioned Oasis!! I love Oasis! I wish I was born at the 80´s so I could live in the Oasis fever time.

Posted by Tamyris on July 01, 2009, 04:56 AM report to moderator
Believe-in-magic1_thumb

I freakin LOVE Dan and I loved this interview! As always he’s witty and charming and just brilliant! I loved the line about Dobby and I loved the line about Harry’s ’’death’’ in DH! And I also agree with him on the whole impact of Sirius and Dumbledore’s death in regards to Harry. The more I read on him the more I adore him♥

Posted by Miss_Mimz on July 01, 2009, 06:01 AM report to moderator
Rupert_icon_thumb

awww Dan us so awesome!! he doesn’t spend a lot of money and stuff and he’ll miss the cast! and it said that his bestest friends are in the cast, especially Matthew Lewis and Tom Felton!! :( this is so sad for him not comgin back for another Potter movie!

Posted by megan_702*ROAR* on July 01, 2009, 06:33 AM report to moderator

"Still, at least we can give [Divination] up now."[br]"Yeah," said Harry. "No more pretending we care what happens when Jupiter and Uranus get too friendly..."[br]"And from now on, I don't care if my tea leaves spell [i]die, Ron, die --[/i] I'm just chuck