LeakyNews.com

Bill Nighy as Rufus Scrimgeour for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
June 30, 2009, 11:18 PM

Several weeks ago, as first heard exclusively on PotterCast, this editor brought the news that actor Bill Nighy had been cast in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. We are delighted to say that Bill Nighy, who will be taking on the part of Minister of Magic Rufus Scrimgeour for the film, has made new comments about his upcoming appearance in the final installment in the Harry Potter series. Mr. Nighy said: "I don't think I'm allowed to say it but I'm going to be in the next Harry Potter film," he tells us. "I won't say which character, but he's a goodie. I just got the gig." If you don't mind us saying, it's about time, Bill. The rangy actor has been dropping hints for aeons, once complaining that he was "the only British actor who hasn't been in Harry Potter". But has he read the books? "Not yet, but I will!" he says. "It's rather like being in a Shakespeare that way, you know?" Mm.

Bill Nighy is a well regarded actor from the UK, known for his appearances in the Pirates of the Caribbean series, State of Play directed by David Yates, The Constant Gardener, the upcoming Wild Target with Rupert Grint, and a beloved comedic turn in Love, Actually.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News
Follow @Leaky on Twitter

That’s wonderful!

I love him so much! :-)

I believe that he will be great as Scrimgeour. :-)

Posted by Lily_Severus on July 01, 2009, 02:03 PM report to moderator

That’s wonderful!

I love him so much! :-)

I believe that he will be great as Scrimgeour. :-)

Posted by Lily_Severus on July 01, 2009, 02:03 PM report to moderator

Sorry about doubling the message.

When you click “submit comment” I takes you a page where it says sorry page cannot be found or something like that.

Posted by Lily_Severus on July 01, 2009, 02:09 PM report to moderator
Groucho2_thumb

About time its official!
Now, what about Stanislav Ianevski returning as Krum? Or have Yates/Kloves figured out another way of getting the Gregorovich clue planted?

And William Melling? I’ve gotten rather fond of Nigel

Posted by budb on July 01, 2009, 02:12 PM report to moderator

I have faith in these movies. The fact that Bill, Fleur, Scrimmy, Xeno, Dobby, Grindelwald, Aberforth, Bathilda, Griphook, Ollivander, etc. are in this movie means that they’re going all-out to make these last two films the best. Just imagine what Steve would have done to all of these characters if he was still in his GoF mindset, and with only one movie to fit it all into? I shudder to think of it!

The Battle of Hogwarts would have to be an hour minimum, which would leave an hour and a half to cover the Seven Potters, Wedding, Ministry, Camping, Godric’s Hollow, Silver Doe, Xenophilius, Malfoy Manor, Shell Cottage, Gringotts, and the Room of Requirement. Most of those scenes should at least be a half-hour long, so I have no idea how they could have done it. Having an extra two to three hours is the ideal thing.

Posted by Jaymie Brooks on July 01, 2009, 02:35 PM report to moderator
4pchrmb_thumb

Not exactly how I pictured, but he will do.

Posted by lupinwandcaster on July 01, 2009, 02:43 PM report to moderator
Hbpofficiallstills102_thumb

.. He will be great.. if he can pull of Davy Jones in Pirates he can definatly pull of Rufus Scimgeour

Posted by Harry Potter 4 Ever!! on July 01, 2009, 03:14 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

At least they are trying to fit every character in that should be in. They should still get Krum back even though hes not that relavent to the plot of this one.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 01, 2009, 03:20 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

He’ll be good in that role…

Posted by Won_Two on July 01, 2009, 03:29 PM report to moderator
282600_233804939987291_100000733600249_807455_78180_n_thumb

i really liked him in pirates of the Caribbean i think he will do a good job as scrimgeour.

Posted by Horcruxalej on July 01, 2009, 03:48 PM report to moderator

YAAAAY!! I LOVE him!! ^ He’s great, and he was the only one missing from the HP franchise, he he he. I hadn’t pictured Rufus like him, but anyway, I love that he’s going to take part in HP!! ^

Posted by Bonnie Radcliffe on July 01, 2009, 04:42 PM report to moderator
Leakypic_thumb

He was Also in Underworld, G-Force and many other amazing films!

Posted by DylanAqua on July 01, 2009, 04:45 PM report to moderator
Leakypic_thumb

He was also in Underworld, G-Force and many other amazing films!

Posted by DylanAqua on July 01, 2009, 04:45 PM report to moderator
18171450px-ginny_weasley_thumb

Cool. Great to see an experienced actor play Scrimgeour

Posted by PotterFan-Man on July 01, 2009, 05:14 PM report to moderator

Great casting, yet again. Very few available actors would have been good choices for the Scrimgeour part, and Bill is one of them. For a while there I almost thought they would avoid this character completely and, miraculously, get away with it.

Posted by sachem on July 01, 2009, 05:30 PM report to moderator
Ready to see Leaky in Color?