LeakyNews.com

Bill Nighy as Rufus Scrimgeour for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
June 30, 2009, 11:18 PM

Several weeks ago, as first heard exclusively on PotterCast, this editor brought the news that actor Bill Nighy had been cast in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. We are delighted to say that Bill Nighy, who will be taking on the part of Minister of Magic Rufus Scrimgeour for the film, has made new comments about his upcoming appearance in the final installment in the Harry Potter series. Mr. Nighy said: "I don't think I'm allowed to say it but I'm going to be in the next Harry Potter film," he tells us. "I won't say which character, but he's a goodie. I just got the gig." If you don't mind us saying, it's about time, Bill. The rangy actor has been dropping hints for aeons, once complaining that he was "the only British actor who hasn't been in Harry Potter". But has he read the books? "Not yet, but I will!" he says. "It's rather like being in a Shakespeare that way, you know?" Mm.

Bill Nighy is a well regarded actor from the UK, known for his appearances in the Pirates of the Caribbean series, State of Play directed by David Yates, The Constant Gardener, the upcoming Wild Target with Rupert Grint, and a beloved comedic turn in Love, Actually.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News
Follow @Leaky on Twitter

Hpg05_thumb

:O:O:O:O yeahyeahyeahh…….he’s perfect for this character :)
goooo bill nighy :)

Posted by potterrock on July 01, 2009, 05:44 PM report to moderator
Voorpotter_thumb

Bill Nighy is great, but is the character necessary. It would have made more sense, dramatically, to see Fudge killed.

Posted by Joost on July 01, 2009, 06:59 PM report to moderator
394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb

Sounds great! :) I just started to read HBP for the first time (will do my utmost to finish it by the time the movie is out!) and I can totally picture Bill Nighy as Scrimgeour.

Now, if only they could cast Patrick Stewart as some named character in the DH films, they would indeed have most fo the British acting royalty in the HP franchise! :-D Asking them to cast Sir Ian McKellen or Sir Christopher Lee would definitely be too much… Besides, I think both of them Sirs have quite enough epic fantasy/scifi roles, what with LOTR, The X-Men Trilogy, Dracula and the countless other films they have done.

Posted by MischiefManaged on July 01, 2009, 07:43 PM report to moderator
Img_4556_thumb

He’s awesome.

Posted by Dolemite [FTC!] on July 01, 2009, 07:51 PM report to moderator
Foto_8_thumb

Christopher Lee should be Grindelwald as adult or something(:

Posted by Lilleby on July 01, 2009, 08:23 PM report to moderator
Voorpotter_thumb

Or Liam Neeson.

Posted by Joost on July 01, 2009, 08:40 PM report to moderator
Hungryfish_thumb

That’s simply the best news of the day! Loved him in Love, Actually, and Pirates and many more films, I have digged up ever since I first saw him! He is WONDERFUL!

Posted by ourempire on July 01, 2009, 09:01 PM report to moderator
The_golden_snitch_thumb

He was playing Davy Jones in Pirates of Carribean! He would be really good as Scrimgeour.

Posted by hermione97 on July 01, 2009, 11:50 PM report to moderator

Love, Actually is one of my all time favourite movies – and I usually hate romantic comedies! Christmas is all around me, come on and let it snooooooooow!!

Fantastic news!

Posted by WickedLoz on July 02, 2009, 12:07 AM report to moderator
Marguerite_thumb

He was hilarious in Love Actually! The HP films truly have some of the best British actors… If they could only fit in Hugh Grant or James McAvoy!!!!

Posted by Despina on July 02, 2009, 12:08 AM report to moderator

He is a good actor

Posted by phantomles on July 02, 2009, 12:16 AM report to moderator

I must’ve missed news that he was going to be in it, but I must say I could not be more thrilled. I have ALWAYS pictured him as making an excellent Scrimgeour, and would’ve been happy to see him get any part in the films, so this is just fantastic. Makes up for poor Xeno casting.

Posted by Flourished Blot on July 02, 2009, 12:30 AM report to moderator
Iconator52ef1a781c6396ecd8_thumb

he seems kinda skinny.. idk i kinda pictured him as a tall, board shouldered, musky kind a guy if that makes any sense. i just dont see him playing the part. I’m also gonna guess that there is nothing about him in HBP?!?!

Posted by SammHpTwifan on July 02, 2009, 12:32 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

He looks perfect! but wait…no Scrimgeour in HBP!?

Posted by Matea on July 02, 2009, 01:12 AM report to moderator
49860_1104575754_1481_n_thumb

I can’t envision him as Scrimgeour … but I’m sure it will work out well.

Posted by Garden State Geek on July 02, 2009, 01:29 AM report to moderator
Ready to see Leaky in Color?