Bill Nighy as Rufus Scrimgeour for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
June 30, 2009, 11:18 PM

Several weeks ago, as first heard exclusively on PotterCast, this editor brought the news that actor Bill Nighy had been cast in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. We are delighted to say that Bill Nighy, who will be taking on the part of Minister of Magic Rufus Scrimgeour for the film, has made new comments about his upcoming appearance in the final installment in the Harry Potter series. Mr. Nighy said: "I don't think I'm allowed to say it but I'm going to be in the next Harry Potter film," he tells us. "I won't say which character, but he's a goodie. I just got the gig." If you don't mind us saying, it's about time, Bill. The rangy actor has been dropping hints for aeons, once complaining that he was "the only British actor who hasn't been in Harry Potter". But has he read the books? "Not yet, but I will!" he says. "It's rather like being in a Shakespeare that way, you know?" Mm.

Bill Nighy is a well regarded actor from the UK, known for his appearances in the Pirates of the Caribbean series, State of Play directed by David Yates, The Constant Gardener, the upcoming Wild Target with Rupert Grint, and a beloved comedic turn in Love, Actually.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Dhonesheet_thumb

Yes he’s PERFECT!! I love him! He’s brilliant in pretty much everything he does and I can’t wait to see him in the Will of Albus Dumbledore scene with the trio!!! :D

Posted by cghambright on July 02, 2009, 01:31 AM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

@Matea: No they cut the Other Minister scene and I’m guessing the other scenes in which Scrimgeour appears.

Posted by cghambright on July 02, 2009, 01:31 AM report to moderator
Baby_harry_thumb

As others have said, I think this casting is PERFECT! Doesn’t he look like an old lion?! I’m so excited.

Posted by savingharry on July 02, 2009, 02:57 AM report to moderator
Dumbledore_thumb

FINALLY able to post, been dying to since I read this yesterday!

This is a dream come true, a couple of months ago I remembered Bill Nighy wanting in on the Potter movies. I had just finished HBP and was wondering which role he could do, when I realized he’d be perfect as Scrimgeour.

Sorry Neeson and Connolly lovers… I love those two dearly, but this role requires a proper Englishman. WB makeup effects just better make him look properly leonine, that’s all!!!

“I kept my legs together, Spike!” ;)

Posted by Remus Lonno on July 02, 2009, 03:15 AM report to moderator
1393057603281_thumb
22030 Points

cool!

Minerva_mcgonagall_thumb

Sounds like a great pick…

Posted by oldenoughtoknowbetter♎ROAR♎OoM1, CW on July 02, 2009, 04:03 AM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

YES! YES! YES!

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on July 02, 2009, 04:55 AM report to moderator
Death_eater_thumb

Brilliant casting if its true! He stole every scene he was in in Love Actually. Great actor. I agree about finding a place for Simon Pegg as well.

Posted by Max Power on July 02, 2009, 05:03 AM report to moderator
Malfoy_avatar_thumb

Cool! Now if they would cast Hugh Grant as something, Kate Winslet, Jude Law, Colin Firth, Keira Knightley… my wish list goes on and on.

Posted by Hydrus on July 02, 2009, 05:10 AM report to moderator
20110227_001_thumb

It would have been great if they’d hired him for HBP….but Scrimgeour isn’t in DH that long….he gets killed during the wedding!

Still…..I’m so happy about this, I love Bill Nighy!

Posted by Bookworm_Weasley {HS} {ROAR} on July 02, 2009, 05:39 AM report to moderator
Doctor_who_5_thumb

Cool, he will be really good but did anyone else picture Billy Connolly as Scrimgeour?

Posted by I've got a theory... *ROAR* on July 02, 2009, 05:54 AM report to moderator

yes yes yes! this is brilliant news! hes my favorite!

Posted by HarryRichardsPotter on July 02, 2009, 06:59 AM report to moderator
Minerva_mcgonagall_thumb

I remember him from Love Actually… he was great!

Posted by oldenoughtoknowbetter♎ROAR♎OoM1, CW on July 02, 2009, 12:01 PM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

wow, glad that’s not a rumor anymore! :)

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on July 02, 2009, 01:10 PM report to moderator

Cool.

Posted by badger666 on July 02, 2009, 03:16 PM report to moderator

"Has Ron saved a goal yet?" asked Hermione...[br]"Well, he can do it if he doesn't think anyone's watching him," said Fred, rolling his eyes. "So all we have to do is ask the crowd to turn their backs and talk among themselves every time the Quaffle goes

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014