High Res Poster for Bloomsbury Relaunch of "Fantastic Beasts" and "Quidditch Through the Ages" by J.K. Rowling

Books
June 04, 2009, 04:09 PM

Previously we told you Bloomsbury was re-releasing Harry Schoolbooks, aka "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them," and "Quidditch Through the Ages" written by Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling in support of the Comic Relief Charity. That relaunch is due to take place next month now on July 6th, complete with new cover art for the books which we showed you last month. Bloomsbury has now issued a new poster for the books, low res download here (PDF), high res download here (PDF). Pre-orders from the UK are available here via our Cauldron Shop.

Be sure to check out a transcript of the interview JKR gave in 2001 for the original release of the books (pdf here) where she noted:
Q. Did the books take you a long time to write?
J.K. Not a very long time: I wrote them right after I’d finished Book 4, so compared to Book 4, which
as you probably know is a very, very long book, they didn’t take long at all.
Q. One of them has extra stuff written in it by Harry. What’s all that about?
J.K. That’s Harry and Ron graffiti-ing the book, as you do to your schoolbooks. You do doodle on
them, I always wrote all over mine. Teachers reading this will not be happy that I’m saying it but you
do, don’t you? So they’ve just scribbled things on them and said rude things in them, the name of
their favourite Quidditch team and stuff in the book.
Q. Can you tell me where and when Quidditch was invented?
J.K. Quidditch started in the 11th century, at a place called Queerditch Marsh which you probably
won’t find marked on maps. But obviously that’s because wizards have made the place unplottable
(which means you can’t plot them on the map). Originally it was quite a crude game played on
broomsticks, and over the subsequent two centuries they added more balls until it became the game
we know now.
Q. Is Quidditch just as popular as it is in England all around the world?
J.K. It’s popular nearly everywhere, but not so much in the Far East as they prefer the flying carpet to
the broomstick, so it’s a real minority sport over there. But in most other places it’s fairly popular.
Q. How many beasts are there in Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them?
J.K. There are 75 but that’s not including the 10 different species of dragon. So that would be 84 if
you counted them.

As stated on the website, sales of Fantastic Beasts "will go to Comic Relief, which means that the Pounds and Galleons you exchange for it will do magic beyond the powers of any wizard. If you feel that this is insufficient reason to part with your money, I can only hope that passing wizards feel more charitable if they ever see you being attacked by a Manticore. Albus Dumbledore.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

i’m so glad they’re re-releasing these books. they’re quite a lovely read.

Posted by Leeann on June 05, 2009, 07:40 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I Love Quidditch! Its the beat sport out there!

Posted by LunaLuver on June 05, 2009, 07:40 AM report to moderator

Snort Look at the Hogwarts emblem on the poster! LOL

Posted by Tigerlily Gamwich on June 05, 2009, 07:47 AM report to moderator
Snape_vs__sirius_normal_thumb

That’s wonderful news—both that they are re-releasing the books and that the proceeds are going to Comic Relief! I checked out “Quidditch Through the Ages” from the library recently and then felt bad that I’d missed my chance to buy it when I read that it was printed for charity. Now those of us who missed it the first time get another chance—this is excellent :)

Posted by Lunabelle7 on June 05, 2009, 07:54 AM report to moderator
Snape_vs__sirius_normal_thumb

Oh, and I agree, LunaLuver: Quidditch is, by far, the best sport out there. It might be the only one that has the power to make me pay attention for an entire match (provided that the match is on paper, of course…)

Posted by Lunabelle7 on June 05, 2009, 07:56 AM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

That’s exciting that they’re being rereleased for fans that missed experiencing them the first time that they were published! :)

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on June 05, 2009, 08:09 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

NICE!

Posted by Won_Two on June 05, 2009, 12:31 PM report to moderator
Img_4556_thumb

Nice.

Posted by Dolemite [FTC!] on June 05, 2009, 02:12 PM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb

I got these a while ago and mine are a bit damaged. I might look at getting a couple more copies for that price :D

Posted by Prisoner Of Azkaban on June 05, 2009, 03:43 PM report to moderator

Ooh, very cool!

Posted by Wingardium Leviosa ❄WBM❄ on June 05, 2009, 04:15 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

I’m going to buy these since I don’t have the original editions AND it’s for charity AND I want to support JKR as much as possible!!! :D

Posted by cghambright on June 05, 2009, 06:07 PM report to moderator
Ringtailedcat_thumb

I really love these books. All the extra info, plus the bonus of the Trio’s comments makes them totally worth it.

Posted by starkitty313 on June 05, 2009, 07:21 PM report to moderator
Testolv_thumb

Omg, I can’t wait for the re-release!

Posted by CissyMalfoy on June 05, 2009, 09:55 PM report to moderator
Ps014_bymusguita_thumb

quite excited, because i never got the original ones. can’t wait to get them :)

Posted by hannah abbot ;) on June 06, 2009, 06:12 AM report to moderator

Oh my, how talented is she!!! Great job JKR!!!! Love ya!

Posted by Sanju on June 06, 2009, 01:22 PM report to moderator

"Amusing man, your father, wasn't he?" said Snape, shaking Harry so hard that his glasses slipped down his nose.[br]"I -- didn't --"[br]Snape threw Harry from him with all his might. Harry fell hard onto the dungeon floor.[br]"You will not repeat what you

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014