Release Date for Some IMAX Editions of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Delayed

HBP Film
June 08, 2009, 01:53 PM

The Wall Street Journal is reporting today they have confirmed with the Chief Executive of Imax reports that there will be a delay in the release of the IMAX and IMAX 3D versions of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince here in the US. When WB first delayed the HBP film last fall, among the many problems it created was a scheduling problem for IMAX and the new Transformers film, thereby forcing Harry Potter fans to wait and see the sixth Harry Potter fans two weeks after the general release of the film. Fans can now see Half-Blood Prince in IMAX July 29. The paper reports this scheduling "means most Imax theaters will show "Harry Potter" starting July 29, two weeks after its July 14 opening in conventional theaters, the company confirmed. Richard Gelfond, Imax chief executive, said at least one Imax theater in New York and another in Los Angeles are scheduled to play "Harry Potter" starting July 14; the dates for international theaters are still being negotiated.

He added that it's a "high-class" problem to have, given that the first 12 minutes of "Harry Potter" will be exclusively in Imax 3D and a few scenes of "Transformers" were shot with Imax cameras, and those are features that have been popular with audiences in the past.

Thanks to Jeff Dodge from TV Watch Online who emailed TLC and all the Harry Potter sites with this news. We are still awaiting word from WB as well and will update with that when we can.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Picture0093_thumb

Glad it’s just in the US.. well hoping so, anyway!

Posted by Serpensortia [FTC!] on June 08, 2009, 02:01 PM report to moderator
N1585320109_30028278_6922_thumb

So, of course, this makes me wonder about Azkatraz. Because we were SUPPOSED to be seeing it in IMAX there. rawrargh

Posted by Kelsey on June 08, 2009, 02:02 PM report to moderator

don’t really care as long as the actual release date isn’t put back I’d watch it in B&W if i had to

Posted by phantomles on June 08, 2009, 02:11 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_icons_004_thumb

i guess it doesn’t really matter. i’ll be going to see it more than once anyway. i’ll just see it in IMAX for the 2nd time around.

Posted by Muggle-Born-Witch on June 08, 2009, 02:21 PM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

hm i guess that’s what they get, BUT it doesn’t matter bc i am going to watch this movie a BAGILLION times anyways lol i can wait 2 weeks to see it in IMAX

at least it’s only imax.

Posted by Leeann on June 08, 2009, 02:40 PM report to moderator
282600_233804939987291_100000733600249_807455_78180_n_thumb

wow.. here the wb goes again…

Posted by Horcruxalej on June 08, 2009, 02:54 PM report to moderator
Dorkfinal_thumb

Our Regal has also starting preselling HP6 tickets… but they don’t have any midnight showings in their computers yet. All this ambiguous scheduling is making me nervous. I just can’t wait to seee it! :)

Posted by DumbleDork87 on June 08, 2009, 03:04 PM report to moderator
I_thought_about_flying____by_siriuslyec_thumb

I hope the one in New York means the one in Rochester. Even if it is, tickets will probably go in the blink of an eye.

Posted by PaintTheSky on June 08, 2009, 03:07 PM report to moderator
Img_3265_thumb

Since they may have IMAX In NY and LA, I’m hoping they will have it in SF too….I really hope they don’t mess with Azkatraz again!

Posted by Alli on June 08, 2009, 03:23 PM report to moderator
Bodyshot_icon_thumb

It is too bad and I am sure it will be a few Midnight Movie plans back to the drawing board.

Posted by MysteryloverAnne on June 08, 2009, 03:27 PM report to moderator
Don_t_speak_thumb

Doesn’t really matter does it? Imax Shimax… I was planning on watching it just regular anyway.

Posted by srt2gryffndr on June 08, 2009, 03:56 PM report to moderator
Picture_6_thumb

I hope that’s just the states, not Canada. But even if it’s the same for us, I wouldn’t really mind – after waiting for so long, I don’t really care whether it’s in 3D or not! I’ll just go see it again when it comes out in imax (and many, many times in between =D)

Posted by Emily [ROAR] on June 08, 2009, 04:06 PM report to moderator
L_9109ce48d9b16291674b205c03cb8e2b_thumb

Facepalm Oh, WB…

Posted by Czechmetz on June 08, 2009, 04:10 PM report to moderator
Mugsp_profile_thumb

What about Azkatraz? This isn’t fair!! They are ruining it again!!! If I’m already seeing it at midnight on opening day, the difference at the convention was going to be the IMAX part. NOT FAIR!!! I hate this.

Posted by eiVega on June 08, 2009, 04:10 PM report to moderator

"I -- I thought they were funny," Hagrid said uncertainly to Hermione.[br]"Oh, tremendously funny!" said Malfoy. "Really witty, giving us books that try and rip our hands off!"

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014