Auction For One of Original Pencil Sketches Done for Harry Potter Time Magazine Cover

Books
July 01, 2009, 05:06 PM

There is a new auction underway for a rare pencil sketch by Harry Potter artist Mary GrandPre for one of the three drawings she made to be used on the cover of Time Magazine in 1999. As seen here, Heritage Auction let us know this fabulous sketch is framed and signed by the artist on the lower left, and includes  the following:

A handwritten note from Mary Grandpré attached to the back of this piece reads, "This concept sketch was one of three done for concepts for the Time magazine cover. It was not chosen for the cover. It shows Harry surrounded by various characters and props -- Ron and Hermonie on the left, Peeves below, a flying key, the Snitch, Dumbledore appearing in a pillar, and the Quidditch players above. (The design allows for the Time masthead on top). The written note, 'bright green eyes,' refers to my own reminder to make Harry Potter's eyes green after having made the mistake of making them blue on the Nickelodeon cover a few months earlier. As with many of my working sketches, this sketch is 'pieced' together with two separate tracings."

Internet bidding for this piece runs until July 14th before a live in house session in Dallas, Texas on July 15th. Thanks much Brenna!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Ca67gdqr_thumb

Hm… sorry, not feeling it.

Posted by SirEdwardsGuardian [WBM!] on July 01, 2009, 09:36 PM report to moderator
New_version_copy_thumb

No thanks

Posted by chazlaz on July 01, 2009, 09:55 PM report to moderator
41105_10150254604520192_615620191_14488176_2111077_n_thumb

wow

Posted by placebowiz on July 02, 2009, 12:15 AM report to moderator
49860_1104575754_1481_n_thumb

The books are the best treasure of all — and those I already have.

Posted by Garden State Geek on July 02, 2009, 01:19 AM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

Cool I love her work.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 02, 2009, 05:12 AM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I wish I possessed the mind of money to participate in this auction! Good luck to all who participate.

Posted by Kirk on July 02, 2009, 05:23 AM report to moderator

I like this drawing!

Posted by Heavenly_Horcrux on July 02, 2009, 06:07 AM report to moderator
B9ce557d1547686c_thumb

Good luck to those who can afford such a cool HP item!!

Posted by ErinM {Roar} on July 02, 2009, 07:09 AM report to moderator
Img_4556_thumb

Yawn.

Posted by Dolemite [FTC!] on July 02, 2009, 08:15 AM report to moderator
Herbdcdr_thumb

Her work is marvelous….I’d absolutely love to have a piece like this! She’s really brought a magical charm of her own to the books!

Posted by SproutMdme (OoM4,GS,CW) on July 02, 2009, 08:27 AM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

That is so cool! Wish I had the money to get a chance at owning that. :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on July 02, 2009, 09:38 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

I’ll pass…

Posted by Won_Two on July 02, 2009, 09:57 AM report to moderator
Hagrid_thumb

Like 99.9% of the rest of us who love Harry, I could sell my house, car and empty my savings account and not be able to afford bidding on this artwork. Let those who can bid appreciate their ability to at least try. May the winning bidder truly appreciate what is purchased and not store it away, but display it with pride as art should be.

Posted by biiigbob on July 02, 2009, 10:39 AM report to moderator

I am a Harry Potter fan who does not have one piece of memorabilia other than my books. Sometimes it makes me sad to know that i’ll never be able to have something so precious and relevant to the Harry Potter phenomenon!

Posted by RavenSmith {[WBM]} on July 02, 2009, 11:23 AM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

very nice

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on July 02, 2009, 03:40 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"That power also saved you from possession by Voldemort, because he could not bear to reside in a body so full of the force he detests. In the end, it mattered not that you could not close your mind. It was your heart that saved you."