David Yates Talks Trio and FiendFyre Scene, Deathly Hallows Part One vs Part Two

DH Film
July 01, 2009, 12:22 PM

"...It's the hardest thing to switch off when you have this world in your head. You can't stop thinking about it-it's too intoxicating, too addictive. Sometimes it wakes me up in the middle of the night, but it's not anxiety, it's over-excitement. It's thinking 'Tomorrow we're shooting the scene in the Room of Requirement, where Harry Ron and Hermione are being chased by Fiendfyre and its a very cool scene.' "

So says director David Yates in the new issue of Total Film magazine. Mr. Yates also echos earlier comments about Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows being a 'road movie' of sorts and then compares that to Part Two which he describes as 'elegiac and operatic.' Full Quotage:

"Deathly Hallows is a powerful spiritual journey for Harry, who realizes what his ultimate destiny is. I'm trying to give both parts a slightly different swing. Part One is dynamic, adrenalized, visceral and takes place on the road-we never go anywhere near Hogwarts. It's a refugee story about these three kids cut off from everything they know and everybody they love, being pursued relentlessly by people who want to murder them. It's a gritty road movie within this magical universe.
 Part Two is more elegiac and operatic. It's where the heart and soul of the story comes home to roost. They're as different as Order of the Phoenix is to Half-Blood Prince which is quite European in flavor. The world is rich enough to allow you to go exploring in how you present it.

You can see the scans of e interview right here courtesy of  Rupert-Grint. us, thanks Ivana!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I certainly am astonished and impressed by the perspectives with which David Yates differentiates between the two installments of the Deathly Hallows. I hope that his differing attitudes are reflected in the products he creates. He certainly seems to understand how to handle the story and its content well.

Posted by Kirk on July 01, 2009, 05:27 PM report to moderator
Pluto_thumb

So part one is all about Harry, Ron, and Hermione in the woods!
That was the most boring part for me in the books, so I really hope they can make something interesting of it.

Posted by simos girl {WBM} ~Lemon~ on July 01, 2009, 05:40 PM report to moderator
Hpg05_thumb

hahahaha…great interview :)
tannkks tlc :)

Posted by potterrock on July 01, 2009, 05:42 PM report to moderator
Sb_thumb
2017 Points

Yes! Fiendfyre! That scene will be epic!

Really good interview though! I like the differences between the two movies, they are going to be great! I can’t wait!

Posted by Looie [ROAR!] on July 01, 2009, 07:16 PM report to moderator

Sounds great! Is there any date set for the release of the first part of DH?

Posted by danaskeeter *ROAR!* on July 01, 2009, 08:01 PM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

pretty interesting invterview…he really absorbs himself in it which is good

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on July 01, 2009, 11:40 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

awesome…maybe he knows what he is doing? :p

Posted by Mary11_hplvr*WBM* on July 02, 2009, 01:02 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

hm..nothing new really..

Posted by Matea on July 02, 2009, 01:18 AM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

Great article! I love what David Yates did with OOTP and I can’t wait to see HBP!! It looks amazing so far! I know what he means about waking up from overexcitement. I still get like that whenever one of the movies comes out and definitely when we were waiting for the new books. The world is so addictive and expansive and ever-growing that it’s really hard to stop thinking about it. I think it would be so awesome to work on one of those sets!

Yates mentioned filming the Fiendfyre scene!!! I wonder if they’ve done that yet?!

But hearing him talk about the ending of the films and all the different experiences the cast and crew have had just makes me sad. Because it’s all coming to an end now.

Posted by cghambright on July 02, 2009, 01:23 AM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

it’s nice to know he’s so into HP! :)

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on July 02, 2009, 02:01 AM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

Now he knows how we felt waiting for each book !!

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on July 02, 2009, 02:40 AM report to moderator
Puppet_pals_yes_thumb

Going back to where they will split it, I think that it will be fun to NOT know. Because that the funnest part for fans, theorizing and guessing.

Posted by phoenixes are in ravenclaw on July 02, 2009, 02:55 AM report to moderator
Normal_hp_actors_thumb

He sounds really dedicated and that makes me happy.

Posted by CandyCane2304 on July 02, 2009, 03:03 AM report to moderator
Normal_hp_actors_thumb

He sounds really dedicated and that makes me happy.

Posted by CandyCane2304 on July 02, 2009, 03:03 AM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

Cool I cant wait to see the Fiendfyre scene> The sad thing is Fred dies soon after that.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 02, 2009, 03:24 AM report to moderator

"Mum's always wishing we had a house-elf to do the ironing," said George. "But all we've got is a lousy old ghoul in the attic and gnomes all over the garden."

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014