Matt Lewis On Missing the St. Mungo Scene and More as Neville Longbottom

Lewis
July 01, 2009, 03:46 AM

Actor Matt Lewis is the subject of the latest article from the LA Time Hero Complex blog series counting down until the release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. In this new interview, Matt speaks about his role as the beloved Neville Longbottom, in particular regarding a scene that had fans lamenting when it was cut from Order of the Phoenix, that being the emotional visit with Neville and his parents at St. Mungo. Quotage:

JP: Back to acting then ... Was there anything you didn't get to do as Neville?

ML: There was some stuff that we got to do that was cut out, which is always a shame.  Remember in the "Order of the Phoenix," the big battle at the end in the Ministry of Magic?  We shot a lot that wasn't included in the film. The room with the brains in it I was kind of looking forward to seeing ... The one scene in particular that I really wanted to do as an actor was the St. Mungo's Hospital scene where we see Neville's parents for the first time.  It was just something that I thought was really important to the character cause it showed a really soft side to him.  His parents were there and they didn't recognize him and there was that lovely bit where they give him the sweet ... I remember when I was reading it in the book and it was tear-jerking and really, really endearing.  I just thought in that one scene it really showed what Neville was all about.  How he's got all this heart, and even though the doctors are saying that they don't know who you are, he still believes in them.  And I thought 'That's Neville.'  That heart, that courage, that belief showed what Neville Longbottom was all about.  And as an actor, it's a shame that we didn't get to do that.  I've never really had to do anything on that level emotionally, so that would've been a great challenge.

Matt also looks forward to Deathly Hallows, as well as the soon-to-be-released Half-Blood Prince.

JP: You're filming or about to film 'Deathly Hallows,' and Stuart Craig said the films have always been dark, but how do you feel about the films' increasing darkness?

ML: There has been an element of darkness all the way through.  You have this evil element in Voldemort, a sort of ultimate evil all the way through.  But the previous films have always had a sort of happy ending and they all develop friendship and love, and it started to get -- towards 5 and now 6 -- where the happy endings were not so easy.  And especially here in the "Half-Blood Prince," it's not a 'nice' story.  It's very dramatic, very dark, and it's really got this sense of foreboding throughout the film that just keeps getting worse because Voldemort's getting away with it every year.  Harry's not saving the day anymore.  In that respect, it's definitely getting darker.

I will say one thing about "Half-Blood Prince," though.  Though it is much more sinister, there's a lovely balance this year with the comedy as well that makes it more relatable.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Lewis News

What a brilliant analysis of the St Mungo’s scene by Matt! Kudos!

Posted by Noble Birth Descending on July 01, 2009, 03:09 PM report to moderator
121_3293_thumb

BRAIN ROOM IN THE EXTENDED EDITION!!! WE WANT IT WARNER BROS!!!

Posted by JP Gagen on July 01, 2009, 04:06 PM report to moderator

Matt Lewis is so wonderful! I really hope that extended version gets released soon. I’d love to see the brain room scene!

Posted by treacletartftw on July 01, 2009, 04:18 PM report to moderator
Portus_028_thumb

I love him as Neville and I also really missed that scene.

Posted by Kathy Weasley on July 01, 2009, 04:21 PM report to moderator
Lorlypopstixx_006_thumb

They should put out a dvd of just the stuff they cut. That would be amazing. Once again Matt Lewis proves himsself to be made of awesome.

Posted by vivianlovegood123 on July 01, 2009, 04:56 PM report to moderator
I_thought_about_flying____by_siriuslyec_thumb

wow they actually filmed the brain room? I agree with JP!!

Posted by PaintTheSky on July 01, 2009, 05:02 PM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

OMG!!! Yeah is really sad the fact that they didn’t show the hospital scene!

I really can’t wait!

The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

He really is a great Neville…i wihs they’d done St Mungo’s as well. I’d have watched it even if it made the movie 20000 hours long…

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on July 01, 2009, 05:20 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

Yeah come on Wb we want to see some of the stuf that was cut. Like St. Mungos, the Brain room, and anything thing else that is interesting.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 01, 2009, 05:22 PM report to moderator
Haircut_march10_1__thumb

I love how much Matt just gets it.

Posted by Bre on July 01, 2009, 05:40 PM report to moderator
Before_qudditch_thumb

i agree with jp .

Posted by TasyaWeasley on July 01, 2009, 05:41 PM report to moderator
Haircut_march10_1__thumb

I love how much Matt just gets it.

Also, where is all this unseen footage, huh? DVD fail.

Posted by Bre on July 01, 2009, 05:41 PM report to moderator
Squee_thumb

Nice interview!

Yeah, I’m not sure what WB is doing, holding out on that extra footage. We Want!!

13 days, 22 hours, and 57 minutes to HBP!

Posted by Kismatt on July 01, 2009, 06:07 PM report to moderator
Img_4556_thumb

Can’t believe how goofy he looks as Neville.

Posted by Dolemite [FTC!] on July 01, 2009, 08:02 PM report to moderator
Av_thumb

My thoughts exactly regarding the St Mungo’s Hospital scene. I was looking forward to it the most.

Posted by Bader on July 01, 2009, 08:07 PM report to moderator

"I see you all, whole and healthy, with your powers intact -- such prompt appearances! -- and I ask myself... why did this band of wizards never come to the aid of their master, to whom they swore eternal loyalty?"

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014