David Heyman on Possible Return of John Williams to Score Deathly Hallows Films

DH Film
July 14, 2009, 03:09 AM

Harry Potter producer David Heyman was in Los Angeles last night for an event held at an Apple store where he took some questions from fans. Reader Richard asked the producer about legendary John Williams and a possible return to score Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. David Heyman confirmed they have indeed talked to Mr. Williams about his return to writing the music for the series, noting " If we can make work , and that's a big if, for his schedule and ours then yes." You can hear the audio of the entire question and answer here via youtube and the transcript of this question is as follows:

RA (Richard Alexander)
DH (David Heyman)
RA: Hi, First I want to say thank you for your amazing work.
DH: Thank You.
RA: In a recent interview John Williams said that he would love to come back and bring his musical storytelling "full circle". Will he come back for Deathly Hallows?
DH: The question is will John Williams come back? I'm a huge fan of John Williams he did three of the scores and I think he is amazing. He came up with some of the themes that have carried on. We have talked to John Williams and a lot of it will depend on his schedule for [Harry Potter] seven part two. If we can make work , and that's a big if, for his schedule and ours then yes.
RA: Great, thanks.

Thanks so much Richard!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Headshot_thumb

Nicholas Hooper is pretty great, I can’t lie, BUT HOLY DAMN IT’S JOHN WILLIAMS.

Posted by Brad Ausrotas on July 14, 2009, 11:07 AM report to moderator
Avatarrockthesoul057

John Williams! Please come-back! I like Hoopers score, but let’s face it, nothing is as epic as what Williams has produced.

Posted by Britski on July 14, 2009, 11:25 AM report to moderator
Blastoid_thumb

Ugh! How many more times do we need to hear Williams rearrange Beethoven’s 5th? I’ve been thoroughly sick of his music since Raiders…..

Posted by Wimsey on July 14, 2009, 11:26 AM report to moderator

please say it ain’t so!!!!!!!!! That is insulting to the other composers, who have come up with something original and in keeping with the Britishness of the films. All John Williams need do is mix up the running order of Star Wars. This is the worst news possible.

Posted by jain on July 14, 2009, 11:37 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

I think that would be a very good thing!

Posted by Won_Two on July 14, 2009, 11:53 AM report to moderator
Italy_bg_thumb

Oh, I hope they do get John Williams to score DH. Please let it happen! That would be so awesome!

Posted by Untitled on July 14, 2009, 12:03 PM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

John Williams is good, but all of his soundtracks sound so much the same. There are a few tracks, such as the Harry Lupin one on the bridge in POA, that stand out. Otherwise, they run together.

I liked Patrick Doyle’s score for GOF and listen to it often. And I love Nicholas Hooper’s score for OP. The other day when they had the whole HBP soundtrack on-line, I listened to it and absolutely loved it. I can’t wait to go buy it today.

Now that we have two of his to compare, what I see is that he is able to bring out things unique to each movie, while Williams just seems to rearrange and repeat. I really wish they would just keep Hooper and let Williams move on.

Posted by Eeyore on July 14, 2009, 12:11 PM report to moderator
Jd_thumb

I would love it if John Williams came back!

Posted by hp_flower {WBM} on July 14, 2009, 12:13 PM report to moderator
Puppet_pals_yes_thumb

That would be great to start and end with the same composer!

Posted by phoenixes are in ravenclaw on July 14, 2009, 12:31 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

PLEASE RETURN!

Posted by Christine on July 14, 2009, 12:32 PM report to moderator
Dsc02716_thumb

John Williams has to come back for the last films, I mean it you cant carry on a seaqual with a differnt person being the same character- unless they show that that person can morph into a differnt person entierly- well being Harry Potter and the wizarding world, anything is possible!

Posted by fireboltfire on July 14, 2009, 12:46 PM report to moderator
Avpm_15_by_cuttlefishbella_thumb

I <3 John Williams.
He should clear up his schedule for HP! :].

11hours

Posted by Live Laugh Love Potter ♥ROAR♥ on July 14, 2009, 12:46 PM report to moderator
Snapeward_thumb

That’d be great! Oh how I love symmetry, or at least near-symmetry..

Posted by Hufflepuffler on July 14, 2009, 12:49 PM report to moderator
Img_4954_thumb

I’m guessing that John Williams did the music for Philosopher’s stone?

Posted by CrazedMuggle on July 14, 2009, 12:55 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

I actually prefer Nicholas Hooper, but if they can both work on it then that would be awesome. John Williams is the one who came up with the original scores so it would be AMAZING to have him finish it.

Posted by cghambright on July 14, 2009, 12:56 PM report to moderator

Blinded and dying, every part of him screaming for release, Harry felt the creature use him again...[br][i]"If death is nothing, Dumbledore, kill the boy..."[br]Let the pain stop,[/i] thought Harry. [i]Let him kill us... End it, Dumbledore... Death is not

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014