Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Takes in 58.4 Million Opening Day

HBP Film
July 16, 2009, 01:28 PM

There are new totals today marking the financial success of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Variety is reporting that Warner Bros has announced that HBP "grossed a magical $58.4 million from 4,275 theaters as it opened Wednesday at the domestic B.O., including a potent $22.2 million in midnight shows."

The piece also notes that HBP "was pacing well ahead of the $44 million earned by "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" on its opening Wednesday exactly two years ago. "Order of the Phoenix" posted a five-day opening gross of $139.7 million...Forecasts for the five-day opening vary. Some are predicting "Half-Blood Prince" would post a five-day domestic opening of $125 million to $150 million, while others put it higher."

On the international front, Variety points out that Half-Blood Prince "is opening day-and-date in every major overeas territory. "Harry Potter" films have been even more successful overseas, and no one's willing to handicap how high "Half-Blood Price" will go in foreign realms. "Order of the Phoenix" grossed $646.2 million internationally and $292 million domestically. Early estimates showed "Half-Blood Prince" grossing north of $3.2 million in Australia, the third best opening day gross ever after the last two "The Lord of the Rings" pics." TLC reader Verity owled to point out this additional article from the Australian opening that they have the number as 4.37 Million and the figure "is also the highest Wednesday result of all time in Australia, and the highest opening day figure on a non-public holida

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Buckbeak_thumb

That’s very good for weekdays. Friday and Saturday yet to come.

Posted by Girlraven1 on July 16, 2009, 02:38 PM report to moderator
Image_thumb

Mother of Merlin! That’s a lot of Galleons!

Posted by Kamidee {ROAR!} [TZS] on July 16, 2009, 02:39 PM report to moderator
Harry_and_ginny_thumb

my audience sucked too (not that they didn’t respond cuz they did) … too many little kids that kept making a ton of noise. keep the babies at home folks.

Posted by determinedflygirl on July 16, 2009, 02:39 PM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

glad i helped with that number! LOL

Safe_image_thumb

Best news of the day!!!!!!!! Cingratz!!!!!

Posted by Picazo on July 16, 2009, 02:49 PM report to moderator
Gvc_thumb

Our audience was pretty good at 3:30 PM. It ranged in age from 6 to the 80s. The little girl sitting next to me said the movie was good but the ending was horrible. Guess she hadn’t read the book. One odd thing was that the sound during the dialog was soft. We will go see it in IMAX in a few weeks and see if the sound is any better.

Posted by garyvc on July 16, 2009, 02:58 PM report to moderator
User170224_pic7538_1238947280_thumb

yaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Posted by Peace.Love.Potter ♥ on July 16, 2009, 03:08 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

I went at midnight and my audience was really good. But I went at 4 PM yesterday again and that audience wasn’t. I was like only one laughing at the pincers part!

Posted by Christine on July 16, 2009, 03:11 PM report to moderator
1393057603281_thumb
22030 Points

That’s fantastic!!! WOW!!!

Avatar_moose_thumb

Doesn’t surprise me, people have been waiting a long time for HBP to arrive.
I just hope they don’t get too keen on the idea of a very long wait for 7 or an unnecessary gap between 7 & 8!

Posted by pinkmoosely on July 16, 2009, 03:12 PM report to moderator
Heartcup_thumb

pwnage!

Posted by Queen Griselda [*Squee!*] on July 16, 2009, 03:14 PM report to moderator
Amanda_s_undesirable_thumb

I tried to go at midnight but missed it, so I went to the 11:00 pm later that night. My audience was “ok”. They laughed at a couple parts when it was funny. But I guess they weren’t as hyped up as the midnighters. I’m going again on Sunday to go watch it. 2nd time I watch a movie I catch so much more. :)

Posted by dingy0413 on July 16, 2009, 03:14 PM report to moderator
Amanda_s_undesirable_thumb

Posted by dingy0413 on July 16, 2009, 03:14 PM report to moderator
24228_1103077232653_1698411023_197597_4108202_n_thumb

Could you expect anything less???

Posted by WoodersonGal *ROAR* on July 16, 2009, 03:24 PM report to moderator
Dumbledore_in_battle_thumb

I went to a midnight showing and had an excellent crowd. I was however disappointed that Charlie and Fleur were not mentioned at all. Their wedding is right in the begining of “The Deathly Hallows”. How did they meet and what’s going on? Who is this dude and why is he deformed are a few questions that audience members are going to be asking if they never read the books.

Posted by rawdude21 on July 16, 2009, 03:30 PM report to moderator

"It's not possible to live with the Dursleys and not hate them," said Harry. "I'd like to see you try it."

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014