Heyman on Length of Battle of Hogwarts for Deathly Hallows: Probably Be 30 Minutes

DH Film
July 16, 2009, 09:09 PM

Harry Potter producer David Heyman has given a  new interview to Collider.com where he discusses at length the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Among the many topics such as the forthcoming Ultimate Collectors DVD, info on why Scrimgeour was cut from Half-Blood Prince, we also learn that the scripts are both around 120 pages long, and notably some new (slight spoilers) about the highly anticipated end of DH Part Two, including the Battle of Hogwarts. Quotes of interest:

With the 2 parts that you’re filming now, what is the longest part of the shoot? Like what scene are you guys planning on spending the most time on? HEYMAN: The final battle.

I’m a huge fan of the book. The ending of Book 7 is really climatic in so many ways. Is that going to be like a 20-minute part of the movie or a 30-minute part of the movie? Have you guys already started thinking about that? HEYMAN: Absolutely.  I mean we’ve got a script version of it. I think it’ll probably be 30 minutes, they get the Hogwarts fairly early on, but there’s a lot of build up before the battle happens, you know? And there are 2 parts to the battle. There’s the first part and then there’s the post-death of Harry part, if you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. HEYMAN: Yeah, so in a way there’s a couple of different parts to that battle.

Well, it’s almost like the ending of Book 7 and the ending of movie 2-part 2 is almost like what people have been waiting for all the movies to see, which is the big, big showdown. HEYMAN: It’s funny, yes I think that’s true and the showdown will be…that poses its own challenges in terms of adaptation. Not only the expectation of that final showdown but also what I love about Jo’s work is that’s it’s emotionally rooted. And in the book, actually, Harry doesn’t do much fighting back. In fact, he’s…I’m not going to use the word but he has the “blank” beaten out of him.  I just said well, there’s more engagement in our version of the final battle.

I was going to ask you about that because that’s one of the things, to me, is amazing about the ending of that book is that Harry accepts his fate without knowing what’s going to happen. It can go either way, you know? And it’s sort of he’s… HEYMAN: That’s true up until…when he’s reborn, Harry is aware that Voldemort is vulnerable and is a defeated man. And that’s something that we’re wrestling with and determining right now just so that it works in cinematic terms and not just on a…yeah that it works cinematically."

Thanks so much Steve!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Me_chris_snap_thumb

What I love most is that though we may not always agree with the choices they make, Heyman and Yates really seem to get HP. And honestly, I couldnt ask for two more passionate people to be in charge of the last two films.

Posted by Vineeth Thomas on July 19, 2009, 12:16 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

awsome

Posted by The Nerd on July 19, 2009, 11:50 AM report to moderator
100_0003_thumb

I will want a bit more if it is one hour also

Posted by Biswajit-ROAR on July 19, 2009, 02:24 PM report to moderator
Avatarjameslily5twistoflimes_thumb

I think 30 minutes is great. I don’t think people realise how long that is in a movie. I just hope that, when they said Harry would fight back more, they meant in the general battle, and not during the forest scene. I’m usually cool with the changes they make but it really wouldn’t make much sense to have Harry go in and die fighting Voldemort, if it’s meant to be a sacrifice, and if he knows he must die. I think Heyman is smart enough to figure that out, so I really think he meant during the general battle. Perhaps fight off a few Death Eaters while searching for the diadem, or something.

Posted by Trillian on July 19, 2009, 03:59 PM report to moderator
1113843612_thumb

Oh god i can’t wait for the second part!!! the battle is going to be amazing!!!!

Posted by ~^%^~TheWanderer~^%^~ [{ROAR!}] on July 19, 2009, 05:36 PM report to moderator
1113843612_thumb

OH! And when Mcgonagall and Snape duel!!! OMFG!!!! THAT"S GONNA KICK ASS!!

Patronus_thumb

I wish they would not change things so much!

Posted by dumbledore592 on July 20, 2009, 02:41 PM report to moderator
Patronus_thumb

I wish they would not change things so much!

Posted by dumbledore592 on July 20, 2009, 02:41 PM report to moderator
Patronus_thumb

I wish they would not change things so much!

Posted by dumbledore592 on July 20, 2009, 02:41 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-20070328093850961_thumb

Sounds good but it kind of is reasonable that Harry would fight back to try to get that last try before dieing and so that Voldemort isn’t suspicious that Harry’s up to something – but you know it’s in the book where he doesn’t fight so it should be that way. But as long as Harry comes back in the movie it’s all good lol

Harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-20070328093850961_thumb

Riddle_thumb

if they mess up the movie i think i may very well die at leaste the battle scene seems the right lengh of time.

Posted by Tom riddles girl on July 22, 2009, 06:00 AM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

wow, i thought the battle would be longer than that

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on July 26, 2009, 07:38 PM report to moderator

"I am not forgotten, you know, no, I still receive a very great deal of fan mail... Gladys Gudgeon writes [i]weekly[/i]... I just wish I knew [i]why[/i]..." He paused, looking faintly puzzled, then beamed again and returned to his signing with renewed vig