Heyman on Length of Battle of Hogwarts for Deathly Hallows: Probably Be 30 Minutes

DH Film
July 16, 2009, 09:09 PM

Harry Potter producer David Heyman has given a  new interview to Collider.com where he discusses at length the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Among the many topics such as the forthcoming Ultimate Collectors DVD, info on why Scrimgeour was cut from Half-Blood Prince, we also learn that the scripts are both around 120 pages long, and notably some new (slight spoilers) about the highly anticipated end of DH Part Two, including the Battle of Hogwarts. Quotes of interest:

With the 2 parts that you’re filming now, what is the longest part of the shoot? Like what scene are you guys planning on spending the most time on? HEYMAN: The final battle.

I’m a huge fan of the book. The ending of Book 7 is really climatic in so many ways. Is that going to be like a 20-minute part of the movie or a 30-minute part of the movie? Have you guys already started thinking about that? HEYMAN: Absolutely.  I mean we’ve got a script version of it. I think it’ll probably be 30 minutes, they get the Hogwarts fairly early on, but there’s a lot of build up before the battle happens, you know? And there are 2 parts to the battle. There’s the first part and then there’s the post-death of Harry part, if you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. HEYMAN: Yeah, so in a way there’s a couple of different parts to that battle.

Well, it’s almost like the ending of Book 7 and the ending of movie 2-part 2 is almost like what people have been waiting for all the movies to see, which is the big, big showdown. HEYMAN: It’s funny, yes I think that’s true and the showdown will be…that poses its own challenges in terms of adaptation. Not only the expectation of that final showdown but also what I love about Jo’s work is that’s it’s emotionally rooted. And in the book, actually, Harry doesn’t do much fighting back. In fact, he’s…I’m not going to use the word but he has the “blank” beaten out of him.  I just said well, there’s more engagement in our version of the final battle.

I was going to ask you about that because that’s one of the things, to me, is amazing about the ending of that book is that Harry accepts his fate without knowing what’s going to happen. It can go either way, you know? And it’s sort of he’s… HEYMAN: That’s true up until…when he’s reborn, Harry is aware that Voldemort is vulnerable and is a defeated man. And that’s something that we’re wrestling with and determining right now just so that it works in cinematic terms and not just on a…yeah that it works cinematically."

Thanks so much Steve!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

The_final_stand____thumb

At least there’s more of a battle than there was in HBP, I was really disappointed with it. 30 minutes sounds good to me =] x

Posted by IndiaROAR :) on July 17, 2009, 03:24 AM report to moderator

It sounds like, if Harry gets the crap beaten out of him, that they’re going for more of a Jesus analogy than the books already did…you know, beat the savior and humiliate him before killing him (see also: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe).

Frankly, I think they should go for one extra-long movie and cut the scenes that don’t matter in the movieverse at this point. Scrimgoeur doesn’t matter. Bill and Fleur and the wedding don’t matter (and the wedding location was rather wrecked in the HBP movie, no?) Sorry to say, Dobby doesn’t matter to the movieverse, which sucks because that was a great scene in the book, but without SPEW the impact of a house elf’s sacrifice for a friend is really reduced.

At least they’re giving the final battle some serious time…my biggest complaint has been how anticlimactic the last two movies have been, though OOTP was the worst offender. I’m still also asking that they cut the epilogue…just end it with the trio, the way it started, and the way the last few movies have ended. Just have Harry atop the astronomy tower looking into a sunrise, with Ron and Hermione flanking him (or standing together next to him).

Posted by kmac23va on July 17, 2009, 03:32 AM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

Awesome. I love David Heyman. And just thinking about DH Part 1 and 2 is insane. I can’t believe there are only two years left!

Posted by The Hufflepuff Giraffe on July 17, 2009, 03:45 AM report to moderator
Th_o1z-hb12_thumb

this movie is going to be epic!

Posted by Danilicous2010 on July 17, 2009, 04:19 AM report to moderator
2_1__1__thumb

Yeah, but is really 30 minutes enough? Okay, I guess very few things can keep me truly satisfied but I’d love an hour-length fully-fledged battle!

Posted by Aradion on July 17, 2009, 05:15 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

Makes me wonder what is going to be left out of these films and what is going to be put in. Surely they must show Snape and Lily as kids and how much he loved her? And I am so looking forward to the Battle of Hogwarts… Missed the ghosts in the last couple of films.. perhaps Headless Nick & Co will be in the fight as they were meant to be…

Posted by Aurelia09 on July 17, 2009, 05:19 AM report to moderator
My_owl_thumb

This better be good…but I feel in an appeased mood. Yaaay! xD

Posted by Sorcha on July 17, 2009, 05:22 AM report to moderator
Hpmaggie2_copy2_thumb

I’ve now read the interview remarks several times, and I still can’t make out exactly what he’s referring to. If he means there will be more action for Harry, fine, BUT: he better still make that solitary trek into the forrest and not fight back against Voldemort and he better still get carried out of the forrest by Hagrid with everyone believing he’s dead. Outside of that he can fight as much as they want and kick some major butt, but that sequence needs to stay as true to the book as though it were carved in stone (‘cuz it IS), I want to be on the floor bawling like I am every time I read it. I do NOT want the emotional impact of that last, best book blunted in the film the way the emotions have been blunted in a lot of the films, especially OoTP. These directors all seem to shy away from really giving us the true emotional depth of the books and I don’t understand it. We’ve missed the hospital scene in GoF, DD’s office scene in OoTP, the aftermath of DD’s death in HBP. I WANT that. I was overall very pleased with HBP, and Yates finally did give us a bit more emotion (better than OoTP, at least), but he’s going to have to push outside his comfort level for DH and really dig deep and deliver. Both part 1 and part 2 need to be epic, Oscar worthy and leave the audience so wrung out at the end that they can hardly stand up to leave the theater.

Posted by Headmistress LemonFaerie on July 17, 2009, 05:23 AM report to moderator
100_0003_thumb

wow…for 30 minute…. i mean great…

Posted by Biswajit-ROAR on July 17, 2009, 05:54 AM report to moderator
Toby_metal_thumb

after seeing hbp i honestly dont trust this man anymore, he already screwed up several plot points for DH. it bothers me that i think this crew thinks they are better story tellers than jo, they re-wrote her work.

Posted by splinch on July 17, 2009, 06:26 AM report to moderator
Kit_thumb

Splinch ITA. I don’t trust them at ALL. The whole point of “The Forest Again” is Harry’s sacrifice. Surely he doesn’t mean to change that (but it sounds like it). Good Lord!

Posted by Fereverto on July 17, 2009, 06:42 AM report to moderator
Small_wizard_rock_page_logo_thumb

That all sounds so good!

Posted by Neil in Scotland * ROAR! * on July 17, 2009, 06:50 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

I think 30 minutes is perfect! everything fits in 30min. and I still think that the end of part 1 will be Silver doe! fingers crossed!

Posted by Matea on July 17, 2009, 07:09 AM report to moderator

I’m happy they’ll have Harry fighting back. One of the things I haven’t liked in the 5th and 6th movies is how they don’t let Harry fight. In OotP Harry saves them in the MoM, but in the movie they let that to Ginny… and in HBP they did the same, they let Ginny, and even Hermione, seem stronger than him, which is stupid. I’m a litttle tired of how the writer gives the boys actions to the girls. Ron’s things to Hermione and Harry’s things to Ginny.

Posted by ethanHP on July 17, 2009, 07:41 AM report to moderator
Emma_thumb

i am glad that they are going to have the battle in the movie i think 30 mins is a good amount of time.

Posted by sinwillys822 ROAR on July 17, 2009, 08:04 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"If you're wondering what the smell is, Mother, a Mudblood just walked in."