Dan Radcliffe on the High Stakes Involved in Half-Blood Prince Story

Radcliffe
July 02, 2009, 02:31 PM

The Sydney Morning Herald has a new interview with actor Dan Radcliffe who speaks thoughtfully and passionately about the story involved with Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Dan gives some new thoughts on the part that Harry must play in the tale written by J.K. Rowling, and speaks to both the novel and film of the sixth installment of the Harry Potter series. Quotes of interest:

J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series has been a touchstone for a whole generation of kids growing up: Radcliffe's generation, in fact. So what's the appeal? "I think for younger kids, it's the magic that draws them in," Radcliffe says. "But what sustains them - and where I think Jo [Rowling] is brilliant - is that she makes it mundane. It's household chore magic, which leaves room for the characters."

"Most people seem to see these books as being about good and evil," Radcliffe says. "There is that but I see them more as the story of loss of innocence. It's about a kid who's gone into this world and thinks everything is magical, wonderful and amazing and then realises that this world is darker and more dangerous than the world he has come from. That is his journey."

... Radcliffe says Harry starts to take real steps towards killing Voldemort. As he moves into adulthood, he is laying hold of his world. "And his relationship with Dumbledore has changed completely. It has always been very much that of student and teacher. Now it is soldier and general. Probably the note I got more than any other on this shoot was a reminder of how high the stakes are."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

Dear Dan (haha I always call him that b/c of mike newell) gave, as ever, a very thoughtful interview.
Sorry, but i have to make a negative comment now. I was a little outraged at the rapid-fire insults directed at Emma and Rupert from the article, that Emma is a “glamour-puss…’the new face of burberry” and Rupert is doing “british slacker films” and “grunts his way through interviews”….then the article continues with a ‘but Daniel, the true actor of the three’—they almost introduce him as the ‘chosen one’ of the muggle world compared to “those two”. They are three different people, each with different interests and strengths. Neither Dan, nor Rupert, nor Emma deserved the disservice of that first paragraph. I was reminded of Rita Skeeter, I have to admit.
One more negative comment…(sorry lol) that picture of daniel was pretty bad, because the catch lights almost completely obliterated his pupils, making him look slightly possessed, and taking everything other than his face out of focus made the whole thing look photoshopped. For instance, although Dan seems to have perfect skin in other photos, this photo looks like the airbrushed his complexion, because 1. the lights washed him out, and 2. everything chin down is out of focus, so he looks unnatural to begin with.
I’m sorry that was quite a rant but I puckered at the way that interview was handled.
Any thoughts on my opinion?

Posted by Another Weasley on July 02, 2009, 08:23 PM report to moderator
Pluto_thumb

Lovely!

Posted by simos girl {WBM} ~Lemon~ on July 02, 2009, 08:58 PM report to moderator
Malfoy_avatar_thumb

Interesting interview, but I agree it dissed the other 2. I think Rupert might actually be the best actor and has a great comedic talent. And Just because Emma or anyone else take a keen interest in fashion in no way should idicate empty headedness.

Posted by Hydrus on July 02, 2009, 09:45 PM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

Yeah! good and evil!!! my brothers like the movies an the books!!! but… they are pretty upset because I’m kinda obsess with this HP thing! but I don’t care! I really love it!!!

Squee_thumb

Nice article! 12 days, 13 hours, and 39 minutes to go!

Posted by Kismatt on July 03, 2009, 03:24 AM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

Dan has an interesting on the themes of JKR’s books.I suspect there is more one theme going on the stories, and that is what makes the books and movies so good.

Posted by Fresca ROAR on July 03, 2009, 03:28 AM report to moderator

This was pretty good. The excitement and anticipation continues!

Posted by RavenSmith {[WBM]} on July 03, 2009, 03:29 AM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

Keeps building and building – with all the interviews they’re giving how can they be doing any filming on 7?

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on July 03, 2009, 03:31 AM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

I am glad to see the new interview releases. Only two weeks left now. Squeee!

Posted by budgie on July 03, 2009, 04:08 AM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

I am glad to see the new interview releases. Only two weeks left now. Squeee!

Posted by budgie on July 03, 2009, 04:08 AM report to moderator
Rat_ava_2_thumb

Dan always gives such great interviews. He’s awesome.

Posted by axlgirl [FTC!] on July 03, 2009, 04:28 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Excellent interview…

Posted by Won_Two on July 03, 2009, 05:05 AM report to moderator
B9ce557d1547686c_thumb

Love him

Posted by ErinM {Roar} on July 03, 2009, 05:39 AM report to moderator

14 days!! lovely interview||

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on July 03, 2009, 07:19 AM report to moderator
Dumbledore1_thumb

my poor little heart can’t take all this excitement!

Posted by Empressa on July 03, 2009, 08:25 AM report to moderator

[Hermione] sounded scared, much more scared than she had in the room where the brains swam, yet Harry thought the archway had a kind of beauty about it, old though it was. The gently rippling veil intrigued him; he felt a very strong inclination to climb