David Yates on Emma Watson in Half-Blood Prince: Much More Confident

HBP Film
July 02, 2009, 12:28 PM

The Telegraph has a new interview with David Yates where he reflects on his second stint as director of a Harry Potter film, this being the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Mr. Yates notes he has now settled in and is feeling more situated as he directs his second Harry Potter film, saying "Oddly, that meant that when I started this one, I was a little bit warier of everything rather than being more confident. The first time round you just do it; you just go for it. But I have settled in and this one’s quite different from the last one. It’s a little bit more grown up and a bit wittier. It’s a different vibe.”

That different vibe is seen in the actions of the cast on screen in Half-Blood Prince, with David Yates giving high marks to the actors. “I think the cast are getting better and better,” Yates says, “and Emma certainly seems much more confident this time. She really moved on in the last one, but now she’s even more at ease. And Dan, having done Equus, he’s just finding moments and beats that are really surprising and lovely.”

He also speaks to visualising on the screen some of the events merely written about in the novel by J.K. Rowling:“I remember when Jurassic Park came out and that was quite a violent movie, with all these cutting-edge special effects,” Yates says. “But because it was Steven Spielberg, people said, 'We think kids will go with it.’ “And I think that’s true here: because it’s Harry Potter and because of the fanbase, I think there’s a higher tolerance for what we can present to the audience. The viewers know the world and they’ve read about these things and they’ve experienced it on the page. Hence we are able to do a little bit more than maybe other films can.” He smiles. “That’s the beauty of Harry Potter.”

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Ron1_thumb

I like David even though OotP was .. weird. I still like him because he’s dedicated to these books and he seems pretty happy to be in the world of Potter. =) I can’t wait for HBP!

Posted by Christine on July 02, 2009, 05:14 PM report to moderator
Groucho2_thumb

sigh: whether its a film, or a book, or theater, the story must ultimately make sense. if the story does not make sense, then the audience is left unsatisfied.

OotP left me ..and obviously quite a few others …unsatisfied. What we know to date re HBP raises concerns; we will know in two weeks. DH is the last chance to deal with any gaps, issues, puzzles or assorted issues, so it is normal to look ahead to figure out if the ones we have identified over the years will be taken care of.

regardless, we will line up and go to the movies, we will buy the dvds, and we will watch them countless times.

shaking my head, going to make stronger coffee, clearly i need it today.

Posted by budb on July 02, 2009, 05:19 PM report to moderator
Groucho2_thumb

second sigh: once again, it appears that messages are not being posted in the order sent in. i’ve checked my date/time settings, and those are correct, so I can only assume the problem lies with Leaky?

is there a way to fix that, Sue?

Posted by budb on July 02, 2009, 05:33 PM report to moderator
Harrypotter-100x100_thumb

Order of the Phoenix seems to be the Potter film that drives a clear divide in the fanbase. Many fans see it as the best film in the series, others see it as the worst.

OOTP was, by far, the most character driven film in the series. Therefore, for me, it packed the biggest emotional punch. Because of this, I see it as the best film in the series.

Posted by Hallows not Horcruxes on July 02, 2009, 10:22 PM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

really nice!!! I don’t read it so good! I’m bit busy!!! But cool!!!

Picture4_052_thumb

Haha, that’s ONE of the beauties of Harry Potter, Mr Yates. One of many :D

Posted by joelface on July 03, 2009, 12:50 AM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

& Rupert had no improvement? :p kidding..we’ll see how he (David Yates) did soon

Posted by Mary11_hplvr*WBM* on July 03, 2009, 01:11 AM report to moderator
Safe_image_thumb

Oh yeah David 13 more days and we will know what have you done with our fav. Series of all times…………

OMG 13 days i am so so so so excited.. I am going to NYC next week to see the crew on the red carpet I never done this before i figure i do it with one of the best movies of all…….Anyone going to be there??

Posted by Picazo on July 03, 2009, 01:25 AM report to moderator
Groucho2_thumb

Now, if only he would STOP LEAVING OUT IMPORTANT PLOT LINES!

Right now, leaving aside the holes in OotP …for example that Aunt Petunia knew what dementers were because she overheard “that awful boy”, orthat Dumbledore had heard the prophecy, (should I add no Dobby here?) …leaving those existing gaps aside, we now have HBP in which we know that the entire issue of working in the Perevell Ring, crucial to the entire DH quest, appears to be left out. there are no Gaunts, so how will that important bit of the story be worked in? AND apparently it is not revealed in HBP that Trelawney made the prediction that sent Voldy after the Potters in the first place [which would have closed the gap created in OotP!], AND it was Snape that passed the information along to Voldy. Wouldn’t it have made more sense to have those plot lines included in HBP instead of burning down the Barrow…which now needs to be resurrected (or worked around) if there is to be the opening wedding scene in DH?

Sorry, I am not a fan of Yates’ work, can you tell? I’ll still go to the film, I’ll still buy the dvds, and when WB FINALLY releases the extended versions with all the deleted scenes included I’ll buy those too….but that doesn’t mean I need to turn off my critical eye. Unlike the earliest films, which were made before all the books were out, the final films had the benefit of the entire series being published, and could draw upon the knowledge a large cohort of close readers who had pretty much figured out the key story elements. Let Evanna Lynch be the final word on everything concerning story line, for pete’s sake! There is no excuse for major plot gaffs in the OotP or the final films.

Grumpf. ;-) perhaps I haven’t had enough coffee this morning?

Posted by budb on July 03, 2009, 03:25 AM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

Cool. Hes my favorite HP director.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 03, 2009, 03:34 AM report to moderator

I’m just excited to see what they came up with for this movie. I have high hopes, but then again I had high hope for OoTP….

Posted by RavenSmith {[WBM]} on July 03, 2009, 03:56 AM report to moderator
Minerva_mcgonagall_thumb

I agree with the above… I have high hopes for this movie, as I did for OotP, and was disappointed. Just hope he got it right this time!

Posted by oldenoughtoknowbetter♎ROAR♎OoM1, CW on July 03, 2009, 04:08 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Just remember folks, it’s just a movie… It’s NOT the book… I hear we will not be disappointed… I hope that is true… The clips sure look good!

Posted by Won_Two on July 03, 2009, 04:16 AM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

anxious to see if we agree with his interpretation of the book

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on July 03, 2009, 05:22 AM report to moderator
100_166_thumb

I just want to say to all the people going on about holes in the plotlines and how it won’t make sense to people who haven’t read the books – my mother and sister have not read the books. Yet they understood everything in the films and the only questions they were asking me are all things that are answered in HBP and DH, things i know will be in the films because they are so colossal.

I think people are forgetting that in books you need more description and more events so the reader can really grasp how evil/broken the characters are. In the film that can be conveyed by the lighting, music and from the actors mood so you don’t need all that other stuff.

Yes, it would be nice as a Harry Potter fan to see these extra scenes but it’s not essential to the story

Posted by Bockers [WBM] on July 03, 2009, 06:34 AM report to moderator

"Ah, well, people can be a bit stupid abou' their pets," said Hagrid wisely. Behind him, Buckbeak spat a few ferret bones onto Hagrid's pillow.