Fan Report: Deathly Hallows PaperBack Release Party at Scholastic Store

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
July 21, 2009, 02:15 PM

Two years ago today, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling was released. As readers will recall, several weeks ago in the midst of the flurry of the HBP movie release, Scholastic, US publishers of the Harry Potter novels, released the paperback edition of Deathly Hallows.  Given the date today, we thought you might enjoy this fan report and photos below from TLC reader hpboy13 who went to the special paperback release party held at the main Scholastic Store in Soho, NYC on July 7th. Thanks so much hp!

The party started at 10a.m. when the store opened.  The entire place was decked out in posters  and other HP decor, including an entire display on HP.  In the entrance hall there was a breathtaking display of all seven HP books, all of them signed by JKR herself according to the inscription.

When I walked in, there were countless DH paperbacks on display, so I quickly grabbed one and bought it at long last, receiving with it a poster (the one Scholastic put on their site a short while back, of all the covers mixed together "the most magical adventure of our time.")  There was a huge stand that had all the books and DVDs on it, as well as all kinds of HP merchandise (including all four houses, Hogwarts castle). Needless to say, my wallet became rather empty very quickly after I saw it.

There was a huge printout of the DH cover with a hole in Harry's face for people to take their picture in, which I happily did.  I then participated in the first of the hourly trivias, winning an HP bag (I cobbled together an image of it from all sides.)  I then went up to the crafts station, where me made "potions" (similar to the flubber children make, but we called it swelling solution) and "wands" (a plastic tube filled with "magic crystals," glitter, and "dragon tears") I participated in several more of the trivia contests to get the runner-up prize (although I won) of a left-over pin from the Sorcerer's Stone anniversary.  The workers soon realized that I was an uber-fan, and requested my help in coming up with more trivia questions, which I gladly obliged.

I also entered a raffle for a trunk with all the hardcover books and a piece of artwork by Mary GrandPre.  I'm fairly sure I haven't seen this artwork before, it depicts Sirius and the Trio in the Shrieking Shack.  I didn't win though :( I was around the party so long, and so dressed up for the occasion, people began thinking I worked there.  Some time after 5p.m. several members of The Group That Shall Not Be Named arrived, providing Scholastic with much more business for the merch.  We finished off the party at 6p.m. by fawning over the display of signed books

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows News

2865_1127012896097_1250404635_30357756_4615970_n_thumb

looked like so much fun. I wouldn’t mind taking a picture like that lol.

Posted by got2lovme on July 21, 2009, 04:50 PM report to moderator
Hpv16_thumb

Thanks for the pictures and report hpboy13. It sounds like it was a lot of fun! I can’t believe it’s been two years already…

Posted by Mrs.Brisby on July 21, 2009, 05:08 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

Sounds like awesome fun! Great pics too!

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on July 21, 2009, 05:19 PM report to moderator
Kit_thumb

It looks like it was loads of fun and I would have found all the HP loot irresistible!

Posted by Fereverto on July 21, 2009, 05:44 PM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

Wow! I bought my paperback copy the day it came out, but I had to look for it in the store. And no special decorations or celebration. That would have been great!

Posted by Eeyore on July 21, 2009, 06:10 PM report to moderator
Smart_ravenclaw_mock_thumb

I sof wish I was ten years older! I would have been there and been in the series sence the begining!

Posted by readhp1008 on July 21, 2009, 06:39 PM report to moderator
Mac3_thumb
1925 Points

i wish i could have gone that seems like so much!! :(

Posted by Parkinsonpansy on July 21, 2009, 07:11 PM report to moderator
Andysnowhead2002b1_thumb

WOW thanks

Posted by Mugglejeff on July 21, 2009, 07:12 PM report to moderator
Bb620ecb12c9468f9c2bae8e1750bb27_thumb

hardbacks are cooler; they don’t tear

Posted by GTHunter [FTC!] on July 21, 2009, 07:12 PM report to moderator
Calves_001_thumb

Thanks for sharing this. Sounds like it would have been fun to attend.

Posted by othfhp on July 21, 2009, 08:31 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

Hard to beleave its been two years sence Deathly Hallows came out and I read that first chapter, not wanting it to end, but having to know what happened next.
I finished the book in three and a half days.

Posted by LunaLuver on July 21, 2009, 08:51 PM report to moderator

OMG, I cannot believe it’s been two years already. By this time two years ago I had just finished reading DH and was wondering what to do with my life. I’m really glad you guys enjoyed my report, the party was so much fun!

Posted by hpboy13 on July 21, 2009, 09:46 PM report to moderator
Downsized_0124001234a_thumb

Sounds like a lot of fun! I was just a little too far away to go, otherwise I totally would have.

I can’t believe it’s been two years since I was trying to ignore my cousins, devouring the book.

Posted by Olivia Elaine a.k.a Agent Pomplamoose on July 21, 2009, 09:47 PM report to moderator
Boysoverflowers1_thumb

I’m glad it’s finally come out in paperback!
Paperbacks are easier to carry around :-)

Posted by Siяiusly ℓöõnÿ ☼ROAR☼ on July 21, 2009, 10:15 PM report to moderator
Oh_yes_thumb

Psh I don’t see any Ravenclaw scarves…

And yeah, that sounds like a completely awesome party, better than any release party I’ve been to.

Posted by partyweetow on July 21, 2009, 10:18 PM report to moderator

Neville was turning steadily more purple in the face while tugging at Crabbe's arms, and Hermione was attempting vainly to throw Millicent Bulstrode off her. Luna, however, stood limply by the side of her captor, gazing vaguely out of the window as though