Fan Report: Deathly Hallows PaperBack Release Party at Scholastic Store

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
July 21, 2009, 02:15 PM

Two years ago today, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling was released. As readers will recall, several weeks ago in the midst of the flurry of the HBP movie release, Scholastic, US publishers of the Harry Potter novels, released the paperback edition of Deathly Hallows.  Given the date today, we thought you might enjoy this fan report and photos below from TLC reader hpboy13 who went to the special paperback release party held at the main Scholastic Store in Soho, NYC on July 7th. Thanks so much hp!

The party started at 10a.m. when the store opened.  The entire place was decked out in posters  and other HP decor, including an entire display on HP.  In the entrance hall there was a breathtaking display of all seven HP books, all of them signed by JKR herself according to the inscription.

When I walked in, there were countless DH paperbacks on display, so I quickly grabbed one and bought it at long last, receiving with it a poster (the one Scholastic put on their site a short while back, of all the covers mixed together "the most magical adventure of our time.")  There was a huge stand that had all the books and DVDs on it, as well as all kinds of HP merchandise (including all four houses, Hogwarts castle). Needless to say, my wallet became rather empty very quickly after I saw it.

There was a huge printout of the DH cover with a hole in Harry's face for people to take their picture in, which I happily did.  I then participated in the first of the hourly trivias, winning an HP bag (I cobbled together an image of it from all sides.)  I then went up to the crafts station, where me made "potions" (similar to the flubber children make, but we called it swelling solution) and "wands" (a plastic tube filled with "magic crystals," glitter, and "dragon tears") I participated in several more of the trivia contests to get the runner-up prize (although I won) of a left-over pin from the Sorcerer's Stone anniversary.  The workers soon realized that I was an uber-fan, and requested my help in coming up with more trivia questions, which I gladly obliged.

I also entered a raffle for a trunk with all the hardcover books and a piece of artwork by Mary GrandPre.  I'm fairly sure I haven't seen this artwork before, it depicts Sirius and the Trio in the Shrieking Shack.  I didn't win though :( I was around the party so long, and so dressed up for the occasion, people began thinking I worked there.  Some time after 5p.m. several members of The Group That Shall Not Be Named arrived, providing Scholastic with much more business for the merch.  We finished off the party at 6p.m. by fawning over the display of signed books

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows News

100_1165_thumb

That sounds awesome! I wish that I could have been there to participate!

Posted by muggleslovemagick on July 22, 2009, 10:47 AM report to moderator
Iconator_04e9497c4d2be426fe2888b16a16f53d_thumb

i wish i had been there!

Posted by RaWr...WeReWoLf on July 22, 2009, 11:56 AM report to moderator
Hogwarts-on-fire-harry-potter-13911978-1900-1200_thumb

Aww, that sounds so fun! I still remember getting Deathly Hallows at midnight, it doesn’t seem like it has been two years. It’s sad to think we might not have another midnight book release… but maybe if there’s an encyclopedia…? XD

Posted by clayzy4hp on July 22, 2009, 12:03 PM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

awesome report! THANKS!

I wish I could’ve gone

Posted by Heavenly_Horcrux on July 22, 2009, 02:35 PM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

awesum :)

5372_224657370337_510970337_7616810_5737149_n_thumb

It sounds like you had so much fun!! Glad you were able to attend the party :)

I can’t believe it’s been two years. That’s so insane to think about…

Posted by choirgeek on July 23, 2009, 02:30 PM report to moderator
12440441_thumb
19573 Points

Sounds great!! Qhat a wonderful book!

Posted by R-for-H {ROAR} :D on July 26, 2009, 08:08 AM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

sounds like a really fun time! :)

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on July 26, 2009, 10:55 PM report to moderator

Harry seized one of the [i]POTTER REALLY STINKS[/i] badges off the table and chucked it, as hard as he could, across the room. It hit Ron on the forehead and bounced off.[br]"There you go," Harry said. "Something for you to wear on Tuesday. You might even

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014