Recap from Azkatraz

Conventions
July 22, 2009, 03:19 PM

Over the weekend, Azkatraz, a Harry Potter symposium took place in San Francisco, California. Lev Grossman was a guest at the convention, and has a new blog entry now online. Mr. Grossman, who wrote a previous article about his trip to our own LeakyCon (and the article from a few weeks ago about Wizard Rock), had the following observations about Azkatraz:

-- The crowd at Azkatraz was very diverse agewise, but genderwise it skewed heavily toward women. I don't know why this surprised me, but it did.

-- There was a great panel on the history of Harry Potter fandom online, starring Melissa Anelli, founder of The Leaky Cauldron and author of Harry: A History. She made an interesting point, which is that because Harry and the Internet both became massive mainstream phenomena at around the same time, and because Harry fans are kind of amazingly determined and resourceful, they wound up establishing a lot of the rules and social forms of online fandom in general. Harry Potter fandom is now the template for all future fandoms.

-- The conference organizers did a clever thing, which was to hijack a channel of the hotel cable system and continually broadcast the Harry Potter movies for 72 hours straight. I watched Cedric Diggory die so many times!

-- Chris Rankin was here, who plays Percy Weasley in the movies. He is in fact a nice and regular dude, who hung out in the evenings despite the incessant squeeing from fangirls. He also did a karaoke performance of "Summer Lovin'" from Grease.

On a related note, SFWeekly let us know about some photos they took at the convention, here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Conventions News

Capture10_thumb

aww I wish i could have gone to it. It sounded like so much fun!

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 22, 2009, 03:34 PM report to moderator

Me too. :(

Posted by Mr. Tom *ROAR* on July 22, 2009, 03:45 PM report to moderator
Green_avatar_thumb

Yeah. Wow, Chris Rankin was there! That must have been awesome. That’s funny, Summer Lovin’! :)

Posted by 3 Weasley Twin (ROAR!) ~{WWW Employee}~ on July 22, 2009, 04:14 PM report to moderator
Wallpaper_ada_wong_02_thumb

I wish I was there!!!

Posted by minishiva on July 22, 2009, 04:18 PM report to moderator

Thanks for the 411 on what went down! It sounds like it was tons of fun.
I agree, the Harry Potter online fandom has set such a high bar for what a fandom needs to be… way to go everyone! :) AND I think a big thanks needs to go to you Leaky, for being the top Hippogriff in that category.

Also, can anyone tell me, where does one get their hands on those cool “street signs”, from the photoslide, #34?. Please and Thank you :)

Posted by emdash84 on July 22, 2009, 04:28 PM report to moderator
Dsc08588_thumb

Sounds like this was fun! Wish I’d been able to go! I’ve never been to a Harry Potter convention….sigh!

Posted by Jade Danielle (WBM) on July 22, 2009, 04:29 PM report to moderator
Hufflebeth_thumb_thumb

awe…Sue, I wish you were there. I met so many Hufflepuffs it wasn’t funny. Squeeee!

Posted by Hufflebeth on July 22, 2009, 04:31 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

Sounds like awesome fun! :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on July 22, 2009, 04:34 PM report to moderator
Downsized_0124001234a_thumb

Sounds like it was a lot of fun! Maybe next time [:

Posted by Olivia Elaine a.k.a Agent Pomplamoose on July 22, 2009, 04:41 PM report to moderator
Suesmile1_thumb

Hi Fandom_United! Oh I dearly wished I could have made it to Azkatraz! :((( As it is, Im very sorry too I missed the entire PotterCast tour, that convention and now comic con too-tough times for this Hufflepuff but so glad to hear my house REPRESENTED! very cool, thanks for letting me know that!

Posted by SueTLC on July 22, 2009, 05:05 PM report to moderator
Show_image

It was great meeting the Leaky peeps! It was my first HP con and it was so much fun! Chris was a sweetheart and he even attended the Deconstructing Percy discussion. Ooh so much to talk about but overall, I had an amazing time.I’m definitely thinking about going to Infinitus next year!

Posted by abbyluna on July 22, 2009, 05:10 PM report to moderator
Fj_sbokbillde_thumb

Chris Ranking sounds like such a laid-back and cool guy! :) Wish I could have been there too!!

Posted by Kissa on July 22, 2009, 05:36 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

wish i could have been there!

Posted by The Nerd on July 22, 2009, 05:45 PM report to moderator

I wish i could have been there, in live in the area but i was busy this past weekend! But i’m determined to go next year!

Posted by WolfyWizard on July 22, 2009, 06:34 PM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2010-06-07_at_7

Sounds like it was a lot of fun!

Posted by Awakened on July 22, 2009, 07:14 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Why did I do it?" he said wildly. "I don't know what made me do it!"[br]"What?" said Harry.[br]"He -- er -- just asked Fleur Delacour to go to the ball with him," said Ginny. She looked as though she was fighting back a smile, but she kept patting Ron's