Harry Potter, The Best Beach Book Ever

Books
July 29, 2009, 08:49 PM

Ah sweet summer, the time when many of us take time off and head to the beach or holiday for rest and relaxation, and perhaps a fair bit of reading. As such,  National Public Radio recently conducted a poll of the Best Beach Books Eve, and the Harry Potter series by author J.K. Rowling took the top spot. Out of a list of 100 books best read on holiday, the top ten choices were as follows:

1. The Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling
2. To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
3. The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini
4. Bridget Jones's Diary, by Helen Fielding
5. Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
6. Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, by Rebecca Wells
7. The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
8. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
9. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, by Fannie Flagg
10. The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver

Thanks to TLC staffer Mysterylover Anne for the heads up! What say you: which of the Harry Potter series is your favorite to read at the beach or holiday? Have a favorite, or too tough to call? Feel free to give your thoughts below in the comments.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Uhh… This winter has been such a pain, now the talk of beach reads just depresses me!

OotP is my favourite, but it is too miserable for the beach. So, probably PoA or HBP for me.

Posted by WickedLoz on July 30, 2009, 07:03 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_deathly_hallows__part_i_58_thumb

my favorite is deathly hallows…….

Posted by Astha on July 30, 2009, 08:00 AM report to moderator
Andysnowhead2002b1_thumb

Good 1ST

Posted by Mugglejeff on July 30, 2009, 08:07 AM report to moderator
Photo_shoot_thumb

My two favourites are the Prisoner of Azkaban and the Order of the Phoenix

Posted by emmabonkers on July 30, 2009, 08:45 AM report to moderator
Sb_thumb
2017 Points

Well, I think Deathly Hallows is my favorite, and I’m going to the beach soon so I might get to read it there, but I did read the cave scene in Half-Blood Prince for the first time on a lake, so that always reminds me of it (I think being by the lake made it scarier :)

Posted by Looie [ROAR!] on July 30, 2009, 08:45 AM report to moderator

the hole series is amazing… you can’t choose just one, so I read all of them once again every time!

Posted by LunaHermione on July 30, 2009, 08:48 AM report to moderator
Photo_shoot_thumb

Order of the phoenix and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Posted by emmabonkers on July 30, 2009, 08:50 AM report to moderator
Photo_shoot_thumb

Order of the phoenix and prisoner of azkaban

Posted by emmabonkers on July 30, 2009, 08:52 AM report to moderator

DH, of course. But PoA too…they’re both my fav ones.

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on July 30, 2009, 08:53 AM report to moderator
Funny-pictures-you-must-answer-riddles-to-pee_thumb

I think I’d give anything to go on vacation to the beach for a week and just lay there everyday and read the entire series. Sounds wonderful.

Posted by Jessi on July 30, 2009, 09:00 AM report to moderator
Lexi_dumbledore_harry_wands_thumb

I don’t know. Probably DH

Posted by Lexi*the*Auror on July 30, 2009, 09:04 AM report to moderator
Lexi_dumbledore_harry_wands_thumb

That’s cool that HP was top of the list! I’ve read some of the others on the list, but some I haven’t even heard of.

Posted by Lexi*the*Auror on July 30, 2009, 09:07 AM report to moderator
12440441_thumb
19573 Points

LOL how funny

Posted by R-for-H {ROAR} :D on July 30, 2009, 09:10 AM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

but of course

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on July 30, 2009, 09:21 AM report to moderator
Img_0091_thumb

Don’t really know which of the books is my favorite, might be the seventh. But Harry Potter’s good to read anywhere you are! :D

Posted by arianneross on July 30, 2009, 09:32 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"W-what?" Harry stammered. "But I've got to go back -- term starts on September first. It's all that's keeping me going. You don't know what it's like here. I don't [i]belong[/i] here. I belong in your world -- at Hogwarts."