Harry Potter, The Best Beach Book Ever

Books
July 29, 2009, 08:49 PM

Ah sweet summer, the time when many of us take time off and head to the beach or holiday for rest and relaxation, and perhaps a fair bit of reading. As such,  National Public Radio recently conducted a poll of the Best Beach Books Eve, and the Harry Potter series by author J.K. Rowling took the top spot. Out of a list of 100 books best read on holiday, the top ten choices were as follows:

1. The Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling
2. To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
3. The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini
4. Bridget Jones's Diary, by Helen Fielding
5. Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
6. Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, by Rebecca Wells
7. The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
8. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
9. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, by Fannie Flagg
10. The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver

Thanks to TLC staffer Mysterylover Anne for the heads up! What say you: which of the Harry Potter series is your favorite to read at the beach or holiday? Have a favorite, or too tough to call? Feel free to give your thoughts below in the comments.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Yuleball29wd_thumb

I <3 The kite runner & Pride and prejudice!

Posted by Half-blood Princess on July 30, 2009, 01:31 PM report to moderator
Yuleball29wd_thumb

I <3 The kite runner & Pride and prejudice!

Posted by Half-blood Princess on July 30, 2009, 01:31 PM report to moderator
Yuleball29wd_thumb

I <3 The kite runner & Pride and prejudice!

Posted by Half-blood Princess on July 30, 2009, 01:32 PM report to moderator
Fj_sbokbillde_thumb

I’ve actually been thinking about getting the American versions in paperback, just for occasions such as the beach! :) Brought my UK hardcovers to the beach when I went to Greece this summer, and never again. My poor salt-water/sand stained Chamber of Secrets!

Posted by Kissa on July 30, 2009, 06:06 PM report to moderator

Fj_sbokbillde_thumb

Posted by Kissa on July 30, 2009, 06:13 PM report to moderator
Fj_sbokbillde_thumb

Posted by Kissa on July 30, 2009, 06:16 PM report to moderator
Fj_sbokbillde_thumb

Posted by Kissa on July 30, 2009, 06:16 PM report to moderator

Great! Harry Potter is definitely the best beach book ever! I think I would take HBP, since it’s my favorite.

Posted by Wingardium Leviosa ❄WBM❄ on July 30, 2009, 06:36 PM report to moderator

It’s summer and am rereading the entire series of HP – now on GOF. DH and POA are still my very most favorites. Try as I may could not get into the Ya Ya Sisterhood. Have the Kite Runner and Twlight ready in the wings.

Posted by hewy on July 30, 2009, 06:57 PM report to moderator

WOW! thats really cool! big congrats to Jo! :-) My two all timefavorite ones are Goblet of Fire and half-Blood Prince! My fav is Half-Blood Prince! luv the romance in these two!

Posted by Malfoyluva on July 30, 2009, 07:08 PM report to moderator

"Turn 'round and face me like a man, why don't you?"[br]"But I am not a man, Muggle," said the cold voice, barely audible now over the crackling of the flames. "I am much, much more than a man."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014