Harry Potter, The Best Beach Book Ever

Books
July 29, 2009, 08:49 PM

Ah sweet summer, the time when many of us take time off and head to the beach or holiday for rest and relaxation, and perhaps a fair bit of reading. As such,  National Public Radio recently conducted a poll of the Best Beach Books Eve, and the Harry Potter series by author J.K. Rowling took the top spot. Out of a list of 100 books best read on holiday, the top ten choices were as follows:

1. The Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling
2. To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
3. The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini
4. Bridget Jones's Diary, by Helen Fielding
5. Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
6. Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, by Rebecca Wells
7. The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
8. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
9. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, by Fannie Flagg
10. The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver

Thanks to TLC staffer Mysterylover Anne for the heads up! What say you: which of the Harry Potter series is your favorite to read at the beach or holiday? Have a favorite, or too tough to call? Feel free to give your thoughts below in the comments.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Ronhermione_thumb

harry potter is really an AWESUM holiday book!!! i read a few while on holiday (first time reading them)! now im on re-reading the series over 7times :P

I’m re-reading Harry Potter this summer because I was hoping to re-read the sixth book before the movie came out. No such luck since I’m only half-way through Goblet of Fire and I saw the movie last week. So amazing though!!

Posted by Broomsnitch on August 01, 2009, 10:43 AM report to moderator

i am reading the last book before the last move comes out i always read the the books befor the move comes out

Posted by Albus Marcos Dumbledore on August 01, 2009, 03:56 PM report to moderator

Posted by Albus Marcos Dumbledore on August 01, 2009, 03:57 PM report to moderator

Ravenqueen_thumb

I think OotP is my favourite. or maybe DH.

Posted by raven_puff on August 01, 2009, 08:46 PM report to moderator
Heartcup_thumb

I agree that they’re the best beach books. I remember hitting the pool with my family, and spending a lot of my time reading at the pool edge, eating pringles and grapes. I would say Order of the Phoenix is my fave to read on beaches, but I’m probably in the minority. :P

Posted by Queen Griselda [*Squee!*] on August 03, 2009, 02:37 AM report to moderator
User170224_pic7538_1238947280_thumb

not just the best BEACH book ever. but the best BOOK ever! :-)

Posted by Peace.Love.Potter ♥ on August 07, 2009, 09:31 AM report to moderator
Sblack_thumb

Love Pride and Predjudice, but any Harry Potter book is a a GREAT beach read!

Posted by Mellzey72 on August 15, 2009, 09:58 PM report to moderator
Darkside_thumb

They are good for reading any and everywhere
lol
Id have to say its a split between HBP and ST.

Posted by Esmeralda.ROARღ on September 13, 2009, 03:49 AM report to moderator
Neville_god_pic_thumb

my fav book is dh

Posted by Tanderule on November 28, 2010, 05:46 PM report to moderator

"Harry," said Hagrid, clapping a massive hand on his shoulder, so that Harry's knees buckled under its weight, "I'd've bin worried before I saw yeh take on tha' Horntail, but I know now yeh can do anythin' yeh set yer mind ter."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014