Dan Radcliffe Talks Filming the Events on the Tower and More (Updated with Scans)

HBP Film
July 03, 2009, 09:42 PM

The Guardian has a new profile on actor Dan Racliffe now online (UPDATE: Scans courtesy of Ivana can be found via this link). In this lengthy new article, there is some conversation about his personal life and things he enjoys ("I'd love to write short stories and poetry, because those are my two passions. There is an art to a short story. I love Raymond Carver, and Chekhov - without making myself sound more highbrow than I am!" he blusters, a reminder of the public schoolboy he was, on and off, until the age of 17. "I watch Britain's Got Talent like the rest of us") but there are some new comments regarding the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince as well as news of some acting advice hes gotten from co-star Alan Rickman (Severus Snape) when he was preparing to do Equus on Broadway.

Regarding Mr. Rickman, the piece states: "Alan Rickman, Severus Snape in the Potter films, was a big help on Broadway. He cut short a holiday in Connecticut to visit Radcliffe and give him some pointers on stage presentation "that absolutely saw me through the last six weeks of the run" - how to be still, exploiting his "quite short and compact frame". Radcliffe says he used to "struggle" with Rickman: "I never used to know when he was joking or not. I think I took a lot of his sarcasm seriously. But recently I've woken up to it and he's actually a great guy."

In terms of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Dan Radcliffe describes filming the dramatic events on the tower which take place at end of the film, saying how emotional and hard it was to film, and he gives a reaction to a scene for Deathly Hallows as well. Quotage:

"The whole film was quite difficult, but particularly that scene. I'd never been bereaved until the end of last year, when I lost my grandmother - before that, I'd never experienced any kind of sadness. So it was very tricky. It's also a tremendous pressure, because you know that a lot of people watching the film will have felt that. I tried to play it quite quiet, because that's just how Harry is."

The film also marks Harry's second kiss, with Ginny Weasley, sister of best friend Ron. Was that enjoyable? "It was quite weird for me because I've known Bonnie [Wright, who plays Ginny] since she was nine and I was 11. Very strange. But we got through it. It was good. And it'll get a bit of a cheer from the Potter fans. But I have to say, today I saw playback of Ron and Hermione's kiss [from the final book], and it is easily, from what we've filmed so far, the biggest moment in all the films. It is," he says approvingly, "a great kiss."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

B9ce557d1547686c_thumb

Love him!

Posted by ErinM {Roar} on July 04, 2009, 01:58 AM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

great! and dan approves of the ron and hermione kiss! I guess we have to wait and see! :P)

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on July 04, 2009, 02:13 AM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

Based on what Daniel Radcliffe has said, I am utterly convinced that the kiss between Ron and Hermione is going to be the most delightful and cathartic in the history of cinema.

Posted by Kirk on July 04, 2009, 02:17 AM report to moderator
Fear_the_fuzzy_thumb

Wonder if Dan was supposed to mention Emma’s college of choice?

Posted by frnlrwme on July 04, 2009, 02:46 AM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Oh my gosh, I’m tearing up about what Dan said about the R/Hr kiss. That scene is easily one of the most anticipated scenes for me. (might be at the top) I can’t wait to see it! I just hope that it’s not in the trailers they release for DH or in any pictures. I don’t want to be spoiled :)

Posted by Christine on July 04, 2009, 03:06 AM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Posted by Christine on July 04, 2009, 03:06 AM report to moderator
Blowkiss_thumb

I can just hear the collective sighs from the audience when Ron and Hermione finally kiss! Since the onset of the books, waiting has been like Purgatory!

Posted by dragontowncorsets on July 04, 2009, 03:45 AM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

cool/ its gonna be so sad when dumbledore dies. i think i may cry. i did whe i first read that part of the book.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 04, 2009, 04:51 AM report to moderator
Postejeunes4_thumb

Is the R/Hr kiss really that big a deal? Anyway, I love Dan’s interviews. He seems like a genuinely down to earth guy.

Posted by Boy With A Lightning Scar on July 04, 2009, 06:12 AM report to moderator

Nice!

Posted by blackravens on July 04, 2009, 10:16 AM report to moderator

A GREAT KISS. and if Dan says that, we’d better believe him. :)))

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on July 04, 2009, 10:57 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

GREAT KISS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

passes out

Posted by Matea on July 04, 2009, 01:26 PM report to moderator
Me_at_hogwarts_thumb

wow

Posted by ProfessorAlice on July 04, 2009, 01:50 PM report to moderator
Avpm_15_by_cuttlefishbella_thumb

Hey… he has a band-aid on his head in that pic. I’m commenting as I read this article.

Haha, nooo one would rly guess Alan was sarcastic… HA.

GREAT KISS?? DAN DAN DAN. Are you trying to torture us for the next 2 years?? (DH comes in 2011? or 2010… idk)

Posted by Live Laugh Love Potter ♥ROAR♥ on July 04, 2009, 02:05 PM report to moderator
445629313_2d2af3ca46_thumb

6 is not even out yet and I am beyond excited for 7!

Posted by ~*~Krystle~*~ on July 04, 2009, 02:08 PM report to moderator

"I would assume that you were going to offer me refreshment," Dumbledore said to Uncle Vernon, "but the evidence so far suggests that that would be optimistic to the point of foolishness."