Take a Quidditch Ride By the Seat of Your Movie Seat!

HBP Film
July 03, 2009, 08:18 PM

Here is a bit of a fun story. A few weeks ago we reported that several theaters in the US and Canada would be hosting special showings of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince in theaters that have the high tech D-Box motion enhanced theater seating. The Star.com has an article tonight about one of these theaters that has installed the special seats that move with the sound and action onscreen. The article speaks to one of the marketers of the special seats.

Guy Marcoux, marketing director for Montreal's D-Box Technologies Inc. says it's not a theme park ride, nor are the seats like the 1970s experiements with moving seats, dubbed Sensurround."What makes it very different is how perfectly timed the action is to the action you see onscreen," explains Marcoux, adding the motion is encoded frame by frame.So what will patrons feel? Marcoux says it will range from subtle to serious. But the mid-air, lightning-fast Quidditch match, a part of every Harry Potter flick, is expected to be "the highlight of the film" for those in the D-Box chairs.

...for those who worry about air sickness when they fly off on their Potter broomsticks, Marcoux says each chair has its own controls."You can, at any time during the movie, set three different levels. You can jack it up or turn it down to low, or shut it off. It's not meant to be a ride."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Patronus_thumb

I bought my tickets tonight!!!! I tried the seats out in the lobby display (which was playing with the HBP trailer) and it was awesome! The seat even pulls backward when Harry is coming out of the pensive!

Posted by (((((ROAR!)))))keenlife07 on July 04, 2009, 06:33 AM report to moderator
Pluto_thumb

Waw, cool!
I want to see if we have such theaters here!

Posted by simos girl {WBM} ~Lemon~ on July 04, 2009, 06:50 AM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

This is so bloody Awesome!! I wish they had these seats at the theater I go to!

Posted by cghambright on July 04, 2009, 12:29 PM report to moderator
Prof1_thumb

I wonder if there are any theaters near me.. I would love to go!

Posted by Theknittingnerd on July 04, 2009, 12:46 PM report to moderator
Avpm_15_by_cuttlefishbella_thumb

OMFG! That is pottamazing! I would sooo love to do that.

Posted by Live Laugh Love Potter ♥ROAR♥ on July 04, 2009, 12:52 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Omg, that is SO cool. I wish I lived near one of the theaters =(

Posted by Christine on July 04, 2009, 01:01 PM report to moderator

that is really awesome it would be fun to do that

Posted by WolfyWizard on July 04, 2009, 01:10 PM report to moderator
Hp___dh_40_thumb

i wish i could go to one of those movie theaters!!!

Posted by iheartpink(ROAR) on July 04, 2009, 01:23 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

Ugh, how I wish I could enjoy the movie in this fashion!

Posted by Kirk on July 04, 2009, 02:27 PM report to moderator
Mel_cheering_023_thumb

omg! I want to go!

Posted by ffecheerleader on July 04, 2009, 02:29 PM report to moderator

I wish they were having that here! One day when I’m rich I’ll be able to fly for the 10th anniversary of DH and experience this, lol. Maybe by then more theaters will have it though…

Posted by RavenSmith {[WBM]} on July 04, 2009, 03:03 PM report to moderator
Mini02px6_thumb

WOW i wanna do this!!

Posted by Katie Skatie Potatie on July 04, 2009, 03:46 PM report to moderator
Minerva_mcgonagall_thumb

Wow, that would be so fun!! I doubt there will be any around here though… : (

Posted by oldenoughtoknowbetter♎ROAR♎OoM1, CW on July 04, 2009, 06:01 PM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

that sounds excellent!!! amazing!!!

Minerva_mcgonagall_thumb

Road Trip!!!!

Posted by oldenoughtoknowbetter♎ROAR♎OoM1, CW on July 05, 2009, 06:06 AM report to moderator

Before Voldemort could stick his snakelike face around the headstone, Harry stood up... he gripped his wand tightly in his hand, thrust it out in front of him, and threw himself around the headstone, facing Voldemort.[br]Voldemort was ready. As Harry shou