Tom Felton on the Bullying of Draco by Lucius and More

HBP Film
July 05, 2009, 08:23 AM

The new issue of Mexico's "Cinemania" magazine has a feature on Half-Blood Prince that contains an interview with several of the cast and crew. Courtesy of our friends at Harrypotterla, scans are available here, with the translation here. Of interest are comments by actor Tom Felton on his role as Draco Malfoy as he speaks to the things Draco has been through, including the bullying by his father Lucius Malfoy. Quotage:

The director and I talked a lot about it. Obviously Draco loses his father, he’s alone, he wants to show his independence and he’s the Chosen One. He’s been very jealous of Harry all his life, he’s been jealous of the attention he gets, and now it’s the opportunity to show what he’s really capable of. But at the same time he’s terrified and deep down he knows he can’t do what he’s been assigned to do. So there’s a very strong conflict of emotions. To me it’s a challenge because I have to think deeper about my performance. It’s not all about putting a mean face for Harry.

Did he [David Yates] ask for anything in particular when he directed you this time?
No, but I’m very thankful for the extra time he put into me and my character this time around. E spoke a lot about our character. David is trying to outline his complexity. This year Draco is not interested in bullying Harry. He’s got more serious stuff to pay attention to. For years he has been bullied by his father and that’s why he is the way he is. I wanted to show that side of him, not to make people feel sorry for him but to at least identify themselves with him. The best thing is that now I get to wear better clothes. Draco is very concerned about his style, and that’s part of his look as a villain.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Before_qudditch_thumb

first !
awesome

Posted by TasyaWeasley on July 06, 2009, 12:45 AM report to moderator

Tom seems to be very in touch with Draco’s character. I can’t wait to see how it turns out!

Posted by treacletartftw on July 06, 2009, 01:17 AM report to moderator

Dracos got styyyle lol.
Im glad he’s put so muhc thought into the character, its boeds well for both this movie and the next one. The tower scene is going to be amazing!

Posted by Kay on July 06, 2009, 02:34 AM report to moderator
Dd_thumb

Obviously Lucius loves his son in some way, as we learn in DH. I never imagined him bullying Draco, it’s more like a cold relationship and, as Swansurf wrote, about family pride. But Draco is clearly a spoilt kid, in contrast to Harry. Tom Felton never seems to mention that. Furthermore, Draco’s cowardness is not a result of his family situation, unless you count his parents passing on bad genes to him. Not everything can be explained by a bad childhood, but that leads to a basic debate about what builds our character…

Posted by Flonk on July 06, 2009, 02:40 AM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

wow. i cannot wait. great stuff.

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on July 06, 2009, 03:27 AM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

haha I love how Tom is talking really seriously about Draco’s past & view point…& then talks about clothes :D

Posted by Mary11_hplvr*WBM* on July 06, 2009, 03:41 AM report to moderator
1393057603281_thumb
22029 Points

interesting!

Rupes_maggie_thumb

Tom obviously gets his character! :P)

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on July 06, 2009, 04:03 AM report to moderator

I’m glad the film will show that he really doesn’t want to kill Dumbledore. When reading the books, I get the feeling that Draco isn’t the evil person we all assumed him to be.

Posted by danaskeeter *ROAR!* on July 06, 2009, 04:09 AM report to moderator
Phelpstwins_thumb

I think that Tom has really interpreted his character a lot more carefully than most of the cast — actually, most of the “bad guys” have. I really enjoy what they have brought to their characters, giving them a lot of depth. Sure it might not be exactly what’s spelled out in the books, but they add a lot to the movies and keep things interesting.

Posted by deadtree ♥WBM♥ on July 06, 2009, 05:34 AM report to moderator
Minerva_mcgonagall_thumb

I am looking forward to Tom’s performance… this will be a bit of a different side of Draco… should be inteersting

Posted by oldenoughtoknowbetter♎ROAR♎OoM1, CW on July 06, 2009, 05:57 AM report to moderator
Bild2_thumb

It’s great how Tom can understand Draco, Many people can’t. He’s not really a bad guy like his father, he’s just scared.

Posted by ClariceCuri on July 06, 2009, 06:10 AM report to moderator

WOW! I LUV TOM FELTON AND IM EXCITED 2 SEE HIM AS DRACO IN THIS MOVIE! HE’S DEFINETLY GONNA MAKE FANS LUV HIM MORE THAN THEY ALREADY DO! <33333333

Posted by Malfoyluva on July 06, 2009, 06:13 AM report to moderator
6775_1198083715685_1336262920_30563827_4626040_n_thumb

Glad he understands Draco should make good scenes! I just showed my Mom Tom Felton singing on his youtube Feltbeats(check it out so good) and she says- “wow he is quite good looking” priceless!

Posted by Kristin1994 on July 06, 2009, 06:16 AM report to moderator
Siriusblack_thumb

i love his clothes! they look so cool on him drool

Posted by Shalanarah on July 06, 2009, 06:24 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

She was looking at Harry as she had never looked at him before. And all of a sudden, for the very first time in his life, Harry fully appreciated that Aunt Petunia was his mother's sister. He could not have said why... All he knew was that he was not the