Tom Felton on the Bullying of Draco by Lucius and More

HBP Film
July 05, 2009, 08:23 AM

The new issue of Mexico's "Cinemania" magazine has a feature on Half-Blood Prince that contains an interview with several of the cast and crew. Courtesy of our friends at Harrypotterla, scans are available here, with the translation here. Of interest are comments by actor Tom Felton on his role as Draco Malfoy as he speaks to the things Draco has been through, including the bullying by his father Lucius Malfoy. Quotage:

The director and I talked a lot about it. Obviously Draco loses his father, he’s alone, he wants to show his independence and he’s the Chosen One. He’s been very jealous of Harry all his life, he’s been jealous of the attention he gets, and now it’s the opportunity to show what he’s really capable of. But at the same time he’s terrified and deep down he knows he can’t do what he’s been assigned to do. So there’s a very strong conflict of emotions. To me it’s a challenge because I have to think deeper about my performance. It’s not all about putting a mean face for Harry.

Did he [David Yates] ask for anything in particular when he directed you this time?
No, but I’m very thankful for the extra time he put into me and my character this time around. E spoke a lot about our character. David is trying to outline his complexity. This year Draco is not interested in bullying Harry. He’s got more serious stuff to pay attention to. For years he has been bullied by his father and that’s why he is the way he is. I wanted to show that side of him, not to make people feel sorry for him but to at least identify themselves with him. The best thing is that now I get to wear better clothes. Draco is very concerned about his style, and that’s part of his look as a villain.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Msn_thumb

Kristin: I know!!! He’s an awesome singer!!!! Actually, he’s one of my favourites (him and Jim Sturgess) You can get tons of his stuff on iTunes too!

Posted by HermioneRon4ever on July 06, 2009, 06:58 AM report to moderator
Hedwig_avatar_thumb

It is good to hear what the young actors are thinking.

Posted by Graymayne on July 06, 2009, 07:00 AM report to moderator

I can’t wait to see Tom doing his best as Draco. I always thought that, even if he was a bull and a spoiled, arrogant boy, there was something else about Draco that he didn’t like to show: his insecurity and jealousy for Harry, for example.

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on July 06, 2009, 12:46 PM report to moderator
Hbpofficiallstills102_thumb

I’m really excited to see how Tom pulls Draco off in this movie.. it has to be a challenge for him… Good Luck Tom:D

Posted by Harry Potter 4 Ever!! on July 06, 2009, 02:04 PM report to moderator
10312009016-002_thumb

Can’t imagine anyone else to play Draco.

Posted by sakuranbo07 on July 06, 2009, 02:36 PM report to moderator
Kc_lucius1_thumb

aw draco’s not a villain

Posted by KC Nox on July 10, 2009, 10:50 PM report to moderator

great interviews.

Posted by Leeann on July 12, 2009, 12:23 AM report to moderator
Hni_0022_thumb

i <3 draco (tom felton) :D

Posted by ϟ☮Sindi a.k.a Remy [ROAR!!]☮ϟ on July 20, 2009, 01:22 AM report to moderator

"Can we buy all this in London?" Harry wondered aloud.[br]"If yeh know where to go," said Hagrid.