Natalia Tena Talks Tonks in Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows Script with LA Times

Tena Interviews
Posted by: Edward
July 08, 2009, 10:05 PM

Actress Natalia Tena (Tonks) is the subject of a new interview from LA Times blog Hero Complex.  In this interview, the actress speaks of her upcoming role in the Half-Blood Prince film, as well as her upcoming work on the final two Deathly Hallows films.  Noting that she is set to start filming Part One of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows next month, she describes her reaction to first reading the script for the film.  Quoteage:

"I’ve read Part One and it’s brilliant, I wasn’t so sure about the last movie but this one I was like, “Yeah, they got it spot on.” I’m re-reading the book right now. I started having insane dreams again. Whenever I start a Potter film, I get these dreams. The last dream I had I was in a war and the sky was blotted with broomsticks and I couldn’t find my wand. It was so intense. I always have mental, intense, war wizard dreams when I’m doing the films."
Speaking further in regards to the script for the final films, Miss Tena describes her feelings about the quality of the work by saying "I like the last because it’s trial times. You really get a sense of what everyone is worth. There’s a point where Ron leaves and I was like, “Wow, Ron actually isn’t up for it for a bit.” Also, I really got a sense in the script that while Harry is important, it’s his mates that do a lot.  Actually, if he didn’t have these two mates he really wouldn’t be winning. He needs everyone to believe. It’s quite an interesting concept because then you ask, well, is it interchangeable? Could it be anyone else that could have been the Chosen One?"

The actress continues, speaking of her reaction upon first reading the final book by saying she found it "very intense."
"Suddenly you see my parents in the book and my mom is supposed to look exactly like Bellatrix. It was intense. And I love the fact that Tonks is pregnant. That she got married in the middle of all this chaos. It’s like she thought it would be a really good idea to get married and get pregnant and keep fighting."
The interview then turns to discussion of filming the sixth film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.  On this subject, Miss Tena gives her thoughts on the Attack on the Burrow scene that was added to the film.
"I think they wanted to keep Tonks in it somehow. In the book, she’s very depressed all the way through until she finally she gets with Lupin, that’s when she gets her normal hair color back. In the film, they just had me looking very strange with Lupin and that’s why her hair is a bit dark [instead of her favorite pink] and short, though they don’t explain it. In “Half-Blood Prince,” a lot was edited, and actually I thought a lot of stuff was added in unnecessarily. But I haven’t seen the film yet, so for all I know it works out well in the end."
She goes on to note that many of the stunts she wanted to do herself, saying, "They wanted to get stunt doubles and I was like, “No, I want to jump through fire!” Sometimes you do feel a bit stupid. I remember standing with David Thewlis [who plays Lupin], and it’s 3 in the morning, and going, “Yeah, David, fight invisible fire snakes.” It’s like basically dancing to nothing. You do feel a bit stupid at times, but it’s funny."

The complete interview with actress Natalia Tena can be read over on the LA Times website.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince arrives in theaters July 15th.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Tena Interviews News

Php01_thumb

eeeeee! I love tonks and shes super cute in the role and talking about it! and I feel the same way about it abot her not being it in enought and its strange that they kept her hair brown if they are already together. Its like they dropped the ball a bit. But I glad she enjoys Tonks as much as I do, ya know she really cares about the role :) Rock on!

Posted by Tonks_charms on July 08, 2009, 10:58 PM report to moderator
Php01_thumb

Posted by Tonks_charms on July 08, 2009, 10:58 PM report to moderator
Andysnowhead2002b1_thumb

Tonks needs more scenes,

Posted by Mugglejeff on July 08, 2009, 11:04 PM report to moderator
Pheonix2_thumb

She definitely seems like a great character, she could be fleshed out a bit more and be much more memorable.

Posted by Liderc on July 08, 2009, 11:04 PM report to moderator
Img_7836_thumb

Huh. It sounds like she doesn’t think the 6th movie will be that great. And I was starting to think that it might actually be okay.
Well, we’ll see.
I rewatched 5 the other day, and I finally identified my reason for hating it: the screenwriter. He’s just…awful.

Posted by kira902k on July 09, 2009, 12:25 AM report to moderator

Natalia is the perfect Tonks!

Posted by WolfyWizard on July 09, 2009, 12:29 AM report to moderator
Icon-1-1_thumb

wow, she’s so funny and wacky!!

Posted by MySweetheart on July 09, 2009, 12:30 AM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

awesome I love Tonks. Nat play her so well.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 09, 2009, 12:52 AM report to moderator
Phelpstwins_thumb

this interview is hilarious, but her comments about HBP have me a little worried about the film…

Posted by deadtree ♥WBM♥ on July 09, 2009, 01:09 AM report to moderator
Phelpstwins_thumb

Posted by deadtree ♥WBM♥ on July 09, 2009, 01:09 AM report to moderator

@horsepatronus64 I assume by “invisible fire snakes” she would be referring to the Burrow attack. ;)

I love Nat Tena, she really has a sense of humour and overall feel which exudes fun. I do wish they hadn’t squashed her part down as Tonks, but I suppose in the long run she doesn’t really have a huge impact on Deathly Hallows even (I don’t want to sound like I dislike the character, because I love her, but it’s true).

Posted by Clabwag. on July 09, 2009, 01:40 AM report to moderator
Sally_avatar_thumb

Ok, now I’m really scared about what they’re going to do about Tonks and Lupin in the 2 finale movies! It’s so sad taht they decided to delete almost EVERYTHING that I like about those 2 characters..

But she really is the perfect Tonks (also her initials are the same!)

Posted by roby_boh on July 09, 2009, 04:16 AM report to moderator

That was a great interview!! Natalia Tena is such a great actress to play Tonks, its a shame that Tonks is hardly in DH. Looking forward to seeing her performance in HBP!

Posted by Bella ~ROAR~ on July 09, 2009, 06:39 AM report to moderator
P1000452__3__thumb

I feel like Tonks has really been minimalized in the movies so far. I know you can’t get everything into a couple of hours, but . . .

Posted by LulaL on July 09, 2009, 06:47 AM report to moderator
P1000452__3__thumb

Maybe they’ll release some deleted Tonks scenes.

Posted by LulaL on July 09, 2009, 06:48 AM report to moderator

"Dobby will have to punish himself most grievously for coming to see you, sir. Dobby will have to shut his ears in the oven door for this. If they ever knew, sir --"